Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mel K
Stats: 170/160/135
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: January 22, 2013
I hate eggs, but...

I'd really like to add them to my diet. Can anyone share a recipe for making eggs so that they might not taste so egg-y? (eggs that don't taste like eggs...is that a weird request or what?)

I'm thinking cheese and maybe bacon (anything is good with bacon, right?). I guess an omelette?

Other than making scrambled eggs for my kids, I really have no egg experience. I would love a recipe and maybe some tips.

Thanks so much! Learning a ton here!!!
Mel K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Have you thought of scrambling eggs with something unusual? When you wisk them you can add tomato sauce, ketchup, pesto or other sauces. Then cook as usual, they don't really taste like eggs.
Just be careful with the carbs when you use bottled sauces.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i am of the opinion that when u feel compelled to eat what u don't like...

it becomes a DIET. I eat nothing i do not like on any plan. Life is short. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
it becomes a DIET. I eat nothing i do not like on any plan. Life is short. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
crustless quiche... Have a look in the recipe room or Linda's recipes, there are tons of great egg based recipes that are not 'eggy'...

I hate eggs where the yolk is still soft, but like most other eggs/egg dishes.

Omelettes are great, as you can add whatever takes your fancy to pretty them up!
Scrambled eggs are delicious when you add cream cheese just before they are ready and throw in some chopped chives and smoked salmon strips... MMMMMMM!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I agree...however, I am finding that my grocery bill is increasing and I think that adding eggs may help me to manage that just a bit. Plus, I would like to broaden my horizons a bit.

(this is coming from a picky eater who is trying to grow up a bit!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
crustless quiche... Have a look in the recipe room or Linda's recipes, there are tons of great egg based recipes that are not 'eggy'...

I hate eggs where the yolk is still soft, but like most other eggs/egg dishes.

Omelettes are great, as you can add whatever takes your fancy to pretty them up!
Scrambled eggs are delicious when you add cream cheese just before they are ready and throw in some chopped chives and smoked salmon strips... MMMMMMM!
I will look into a crustless quiche...thanks for the tip!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
hide it in a burger.

hamburger meat. add egg. add some finely chopped onion or whatever.

mash it all together.

patty out, fry up and absolutely delish and you will never know there is an egg in there
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Egg creams!
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
I'm allergic to the yolk (or is it an intolerance?) so eggs aren't an easy thing to come by for me...egg creams also sound nice but i'm so leary of actually DRINKING the liquid egg white stuff.....

What about protein pancakes? I think it's eggs, cream cheese and protein powder?
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
I think it brave and smart of you to try to save money by including eggs.
HOWEVER
If you add a lot of stuff to disguise them you may as well have a nice pc of sirloin or a pork chop.
If you eat something you feel you 'should' you may not be satisfied and that is dangerous.
The only thing I put in my mouth that I don't like is cod liver oil. I tried to like those cream cheese clouds and I didn't. I could ill afford the waste, but I pitched them. Ditto with some bouillon that I discovered had wheat in it.

A promise I make daily: " TODAY I SHALL NOT SHOULD ON MYSELF".

You are worth some extra money.

Blessings.
It is time.

Quote from SoHappy: I realized the world would never run out of goodies. I could have them forever. I didn't have to eat them every day, every Up Day, or even every week anymore.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

The way I grew up we'd fry them over medium (whites done yolks runny) then mash them up in the plate. Dang that is good.

You might try fried or scrambled and dash a fair amount of seasoning on them. My current favorite is Slap Ya Mama hot.

Usually my eggs are a vehicle for vast amounts of fresh ground black pepper.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
If you aren't freaked out by the idea of consuming raw eggs, try hiding them in a smoothie right at the end. I feel it adds a great textural boost and lightness to whatever I'm blending.
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Linda's sue's "jody's low carb pumpkin bake" (google search it, apparently I'm not allowed to link to things) - its basically like a healthy low carb pumpkin cheesecake.

Mock pancakes = there are multple recipes. The most simple uses 3 oz cream cheese, 2 eggs, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and sweetner. Then fry up as you would a pancake, but use lower eat, because they are delicate. Other recipes include something to make them more sturdy and to mimic flour - almond flour, or crushed pork rinds, or coconut flour, or flax meal.

Do you like quiche? Its bordering more on "eggs"... but I find it very different from scrambled eggs personally. I use cottage cheese to replace the cream called for in most recipes, and it gives it a great cheesecake like texture (and i get more calcium and protein!).

You can also do things like hide an extra egg or two in meatloaf, meatballs, crab cakes, etc. Do a google search for Linda Sue Tuna Muffins or Salmon Muffins (they are like crab cakes, using canned tuna or salmon, with eggs to bind)

PS, if the primary issue here is budget, I highly recommend Linda Sues recipe site for MANY delicious low carb recipes using low cost, every day ingredients. You also may wish to check out several threads on this board about Low carb on a budget. Eating within your low carb budget.. Several threads included

Last edited by Strawberry; 01-30-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
I like to make an omelette by whisking an egg with a dollop of Fage or Chobani greek yogurt, and sprinkling it with crumbled cooked sausage. The greek yogurt changes the flavor somewhat so it's more of a cheese taste than an egg taste.

If you still want more flavor, grated sharp cheddar cheese & a spoonful of salsa would spark the taste up another notch.
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I disliked eggs until I got backyard chickens! Fresh and organic gives a TOTALLY different taste.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
I think that's generally true, but I also believe that eggs are an insanely healthy food and I really wanted them to be part of my diet even though I HATED them. I have tried for years to like them and I am finally making some headway.

I haven't done this lately, but one way I used to be able to get them down was as a custardy cream cheese thing. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I used 2 or 3 eggs, some HWC, some cream cheese, and vanilla, liquid splenda, a dash of salt (I think salt really helps with eggs, plus, you need extra when you're LC'ing), and I mixed it all up good and nuked it for a couple of minutes until it was set. It was pretty yummy, actually, and I'd probably still be eating it if I had a microwave. I may have to try the pancakes discussed above, as they sound similar.

This last round of eating eggs started with egg creams, which are awesome and you can't even tell that there's eggs in there. You can do a search in the recipe section of this forum and find tons of egg cream discussion.

And then scrambled eggs, with plenty of cheese, bacon helps, too. I also really like some sauteed onion with them, or red onion, feta, kalamata olives and diced tomato if you can afford the carbs.

Anyway, I used to HATE eggs, but I would say a couple of days a week I end up having like 8 of them. lol I eat two meals a day normally (sometimes one) and at least one of them is either scrambled eggs or an egg cream.

The next thing to work on is finding a way to love hard boiled eggs. Blech! But I think they'd be so handy.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
The next thing to work on is finding a way to love hard boiled eggs. Blech! But I think they'd be so handy.
Try them at varying levels of done-ness. I far prefer a soft boiled egg to a hard boiled egg.

My fool proof method for boiling them (found it on the internet):

Add eggs to pot.
  1. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
  2. Add about 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
  3. Add water to cover eggs to 1". (if you put your finger on an egg water will come to about your first knuckle/joint).
  4. Put on stove on one notch down from High.

I set my timer for 10 minutes at that is right when they come to a boil.

Remove from heat (they have just started boiling) and cover.

Set timer for 10 minutes and cool eggs when time is up.

This gives you a perfectly hard boiled egg (not soft boiled) that isn't over cooked.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Hard boil eggs, rough chop or slice, toss in a skillet with a little butter and cream, cook until lightly thickened, add a lot of fresh pepper and eat with a spoon
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Administrator

Oh and top with shredded cheese and/or salsa if you like
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I think that's generally true, but I also believe that eggs are an insanely healthy food and I really wanted them to be part of my diet even though I HATED them. I have tried for years to like them and I am finally making some headway.

I haven't done this lately, but one way I used to be able to get them down was as a custardy cream cheese thing. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I used 2 or 3 eggs, some HWC, some cream cheese, and vanilla, liquid splenda, a dash of salt (I think salt really helps with eggs, plus, you need extra when you're LC'ing), and I mixed it all up good and nuked it for a couple of minutes until it was set. It was pretty yummy, actually, and I'd probably still be eating it if I had a microwave. I may have to try the pancakes discussed above, as they sound similar.

This last round of eating eggs started with egg creams, which are awesome and you can't even tell that there's eggs in there. You can do a search in the recipe section of this forum and find tons of egg cream discussion.

And then scrambled eggs, with plenty of cheese, bacon helps, too. I also really like some sauteed onion with them, or red onion, feta, kalamata olives and diced tomato if you can afford the carbs.

Anyway, I used to HATE eggs, but I would say a couple of days a week I end up having like 8 of them. lol I eat two meals a day normally (sometimes one) and at least one of them is either scrambled eggs or an egg cream.

Thanks for your understanding. I do feel that eggs are healthy and I think they'd be a nice addition to my diet. Adding them would also help me to broaden my food horizons a bit as I move forward.

I am VERY excited to try many of the suggestions listed in this thread. One more question...what type of eggs do you buy? I would love to find someone with chickens and buy eggs from them. However, if purchasing them from the store, what should I be looking for? Currently, I focus on getting eggs that say that they are from free range chickens. Anything else?

Thanks for all of your knowledge and expertise!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
i used to be so bad when it comes to eggs... i would make myself choke them down...
I like the quiche's i just add a bunch of breakfast meats to it and maybe some grilled bell peppers. Now i find it easier to eat eggs with cheese and a side of breakfast meat, but there are some days i just eat a piece of chicken or a hamburger patty for breakfast.
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
Administrator

Have you tried a breakfast tostada?
On parchment, microwave 2 slices of provolone cheese (I prefer the unsmoked for this) until crisp -about 1 minute to 1:15.
Let cool and it will firm up
Meanwhile scramble an egg in a little butter and slice or mash half an avocado

Smear 1/2 the avocado on each slice of cooked cheese, top with the egg then a little salsa
Pick up and eat!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Snappykins
Stats: 192.2/181.6/150
WOE: Induction
Start Date: restart: 11/7/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Have you tried a breakfast tostada?
On parchment, microwave 2 slices of provolone cheese (I prefer the unsmoked for this) until crisp -about 1 minute to 1:15.
Let cool and it will firm up
Meanwhile scramble an egg in a little butter and slice or mash half an avocado

Smear 1/2 the avocado on each slice of cooked cheese, top with the egg then a little salsa
Pick up and eat!
That sounds Wonderful! I'm going to try that tomorrow.
Snappykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
Administrator

Hope you enjoy
I've been known to scramble some chorizo or other sausage with the egg, too
Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
This is a really good quiche recipe (if I do say so myself! ) and you can adapt the ingredients to your own taste. Even my DH likes it and he's NOT a big egg fan, especially if it tastes "eggy" -

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ss-quiche.html
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shimbus
Stats: 190/182/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/23/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Linda's sue's "jody's low carb pumpkin bake" (google search it, apparently I'm not allowed to link to things) - its basically like a healthy low carb pumpkin cheesecake.

l[/URL]
I can't seem to find this low carb recipe. I made it years ago and really liked it.
shimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Not being so fond of eggs myself, I can relate. The recipe in post #5 this discussion is magical at hiding the egg-y taste of eggs for we NOT-egg lovers. Makes them taste ever so creamy and good: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...your-eggs.html
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I second the pumpkin bake. It isn't quite like pumpkin pie, a little less sweet. It makes a good breakfast. I bake it in little glass bowls that I have plastic lids for. Easy and portable.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shimbus
Stats: 190/182/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/23/2013
Could you point me to the pumpkin bake recipe?
shimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
This German pancake (Dutch Baby) recipe by the Chicken Lady has 6 eggs in it, and it's a breakfast item (usually). I know from my HC days that you can make smaller versions as well. I used a small cast iron skillet for that version. Sprinkle with powdered erythritol and a squeeze of lemon when it's done.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...n-pancake.html
Yum
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote