Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Anyone use a Sous Vide?

I posted this on the PG too but thought all the great cooks here may have some experience with these things!

I really would like to have had a Sous Vide Supreme (marketed by the Drs. Eades) but didn't want to a) spend $400 and b) take up any more valuable counter/cupboard space for storage.

Well lo and behold, ran across an item on Amazon that you can use with your crockpot or roaster oven (electric) to turn it into a sous vide!

So anyone have hints/tips/recipes for me? It didn't come with any!

Greybb1 posted some AWESOME links on the PG and mentioned doing lemon curd in there - recipes welcome!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Hi there! I think I probably know what item you're talking about and I got one for Christmas!

(I'm not sure what PG is? Could you point me there? I'd love to have more info.)

I use a 16 quart Roaster oven for my vessel.

Successes so far:

--Poached eggs (try about 143 degrees for an hour or so, right in the shell, see if you like that--there are lots of egg temp/time charts too)

--Sirloin steak, about 4-5 hours at 127 degrees or so, but really needs to be thick (1.5")

--Chicken breasts, bone in, can't remember what temp I used but they were very tender and I cut them up to use in curry

--Lobster tails! 144 degrees, about 40 minutes, put butter in the bag with them

--Filet (hard to screw up but it was extra mouthwatering)

I've also had some failures---I tried chuck steak because some blogs say it'll be like eating prime rib if you do it for a long time, but while the texture was fine it still 'tasted' like pot roast.

Overall sirloin has been the best intersection of price point and result for steaks. It gets tender but retains that nice flavor. And I've eaten SO many poached eggs since I got it.

Last edited by Perdita; 01-29-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I've seen them. They had one on food network. Interesting concept .

PG = Play Ground
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...lm-playground/
It's a cool place.

Last edited by rosethorns; 01-29-2013 at 12:41 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Here's the lemon curd, Lemon Curd & Mousse « SVKitchen
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I don't use one, but the blogger at Nom Nom Paleo uses hers extensively (and she's a GREAT cook!). There's also a Sous Vide discussion on Active Low Carbers forums under Kitchen: Recipes forums, "Kitchen Talk" subforum (about half way down the page)you might enjoy reading, Char. They're both quite accomplished using theirs.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Thanks, you guys - you're the best!

Peggy, will check out that blog.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
This sounds so interesting Charski, I've never heard of it but am going to definitely read up on this, how awesome, thank you!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Gadget Gal

You're very welcome, it's quite interesting and I've spent a lot of the day reading and bookmarking sites with recipes and info on sous vide!

In case anyone is interested, what I bought cost $99 and is on Amazon - it's a DorkFood DSV temperature controller. I'll try it first with my crockpot, may also try it with my small electric roaster oven at the next experiment.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
You're very welcome, it's quite interesting and I've spent a lot of the day reading and bookmarking sites with recipes and info on sous vide!

In case anyone is interested, what I bought cost $99 and is on Amazon - it's a DorkFood DSV temperature controller. I'll try it first with my crockpot, may also try it with my small electric roaster oven at the next experiment.
If you do a sirloin or steak, will you let me know how it turns out. I prob would use it with my crockpot too.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

Will do!

Also try Youtube - search on there for sous vide. There is a guy who is using a thermocouple with a rice cooker and he cooks a ribeye steak. You can see what it looks like at least!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Will do!

Also try Youtube - search on there for sous vide. There is a guy who is using a thermocouple with a rice cooker and he cooks a ribeye steak. You can see what it looks like at least!
I took the plunge and ordered one, woohoo! I'll search that out. I am so excited.

I found this recipe.

Chimichurri-Rubbed Sirloin with Leek & Cauliflower Mash

Ingredients
2 TX Organics Top Sirloins
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon grass-fed butter, divided
1 tablespoon ghee (for browning steaks)

Dry Rub: (*Note: this makes enough rub for 3-4 steaks)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder

Directions:

1.Combine all dry rub ingredients in a small bowl.
2.Rub steaks with crushed garlic.
3.Generously season steaks with dry rub. Save any leftover rub for later use with another recipe.
4.Place steaks in a vacuum sealable bag and place 1/2 tablespoon of butter on each steak. And seal.
5.Set SousVide at 130F.
6.Once water bath is ready, place steaks in SousVide & cook for 28 hours.
7.Remove from bag, pat dry with a paper towel.
8.Heat ghee over medium heat in a skillet. Place steaks in skillet and cook a few minutes on each side (about 2 mins) to form a crust.
9.Transfer steaks to a plate.

Atkins- 9/9/12 to 2/5/13 (247 to 228.6 -18.4lbs)
5:2/IF/lc -2/5/13 through today -38.4 lbs
Total loss to date - 56.8
---------------
Cathy
Old 01-31-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

The Dorkfood model is what I have.

I got some very thick sirloin from Whole Foods and put them in the sous vide yesterday morning before work (vacuum sealed with salt/pepper/a little butter). They stayed at 127 degrees for about 9 hours total. Then I seared them on all sides very quickly. They were very good/very tender.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
The Dorkfood model is what I have.

I got some very thick sirloin from Whole Foods and put them in the sous vide yesterday morning before work (vacuum sealed with salt/pepper/a little butter). They stayed at 127 degrees for about 9 hours total. Then I seared them on all sides very quickly. They were very good/very tender.
Thank you. I have read the steaks need to be thick. I am excited to learn this way of cooking.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
Thank you. I have read the steaks need to be thick. I am excited to learn this way of cooking.
It's definitely interesting and can make spectacular results, but be prepared for a little trial and error.

An easy/fast first experiment is to put in some whole eggs (in shell) and poach them at 143 for about 45 minutes. Carefully crack and pour onto your foundation of choice (veggies/salad/lowcarb bread/etc). Add a little sea or kosher salt. Nom.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
It's definitely interesting and can make spectacular results, but be prepared for a little trial and error.

An easy/fast first experiment is to put in some whole eggs (in shell) and poach them at 143 for about 45 minutes. Carefully crack and pour onto your foundation of choice (veggies/salad/lowcarb bread/etc). Add a little sea or kosher salt. Nom.
That will be my first thing to do. My temp controller should be here tomorrow or Saturday.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
Oh, you all are so so dangerous. . . *adds yet another gadget to her amazon wish list*. . . . I love you for it, by the way.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #17
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
Oh, you all are so so dangerous. . . *adds yet another gadget to her amazon wish list*. . . . I love you for it, by the way.
LOL! We ARE "gadget enablers" for sure!

I'm gonna do B/S chicken breasts in mine today. Will post how they come out!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

QUOTE=Charski;16231495]LOL! We ARE "gadget enablers"

I'm gonna do B/S chicken breasts in mine today. Will post how they come out![/QUOTE]

lol...please do share, at what temp and how long for the b/s chicken breasts?

I"ve watched more vidoes this morning and it's amazing, even saw one on hanger steak and I've never seen that cut of meat.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
I love my Sous Vide machine. I've been mostly impressed with beef cuts, but pork and chicken has done very well, too. I haven't been keeping track of times/temperatures, but I will start so I can share. I did finish up some Oxtails yesterday that are so good! 48 hours at 140. They come out with nice pink color inside and very tender. For serving, I torched the outsides instead of searing in a pan (because I am a gadget fanatic) and they were delicious. I did beef ribs a while back for 72 hours and they were the same... delicious, pink inside and tender. I haven't done vegetables yet.

(there are a couple iphone apps for sous vide, too.... just search sous vide on your phone)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
Gadget Gal

My phone is a stupid phone! LOL! Tracfone, prepaid. No apps.

Well, I opened up the 2 packs of chicken I bought yesterday - they were marked $4 off per pack. I was surprised that each pack only contained TWO breasts but they're - shall we say - the Dolly Partons of the chicken world!

I seasoned two with Cavendars Greek seasoning, a little freshly-ground pepper and some oregano, then sliced a small Meyer lemon and sealed all that in a Foodsaver bag. The other two I rubbed lightly with liquid smoke, then used my all-purpose wing seasoning (smoked paprika, oregano, garlic salt, chile powder, and who knows what the heck all else I put in there) and sealed THOSE. Not sure if I'll cook them all tonight, or just two, and stuff the other two in the freezer for later. What fun!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Not sure if I'll cook them all tonight, or just two, and stuff the other two in the freezer for later. What fun!
You can cook them all tonight and then stuff what you don't need in the freezer. Then when you want to eat them you can bring them back to temperature, in the sous vide set up or a pot of really hot water, and finish them off however you like.

(I must say, having the sous vide has gotten me back into using my Foodsaver. I use it all the time now with bags and mason jars, for freezer, fridge or cupboard storage.)
EllaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I don't have the mason jar sealer but I read last night that you can cook in the jars as well as the bags. Very interesting...gotta love it
Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
You can cook them all tonight and then stuff what you don't need in the freezer. Then when you want to eat them you can bring them back to temperature, in the sous vide set up or a pot of really hot water, and finish them off however you like.

(I must say, having the sous vide has gotten me back into using my Foodsaver. I use it all the time now with bags and mason jars, for freezer, fridge or cupboard storage.)
I thought about that, but decided to just cook one pouch tonight and make sure we like the results before I cook more!

We use our Foodsaver a LOT now - we started sprouting/dehydrating our own grains, which we then vacuum seal in 2 liter soda or other bottles. Then when I want to make bread, I grind the sprouted grains in the Vitamix and make bread in my Zojirushi bread maker! High tech - but beats paying almost $5/loaf for Ezekiel bread, which is what we were eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
I don't have the mason jar sealer but I read last night that you can cook in the jars as well as the bags. Very interesting...gotta love it
Wow, really? Can you tell me where you found the info about cooking in the jars??
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

This is one site Charski, I saw one on eggs and another one on a sauce. I don't see that it the same concept as the vacuum bags but I guess some things might work with jars.

Sous Vide Rustic Lamb Shanks - a set on Flickr
Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

I cook my lemon curd in a Mason jar, then just screw the top on after it cools and put it in the fridge. It never lasts much more than a couple of days.

Y'all must check out this site if you haven't already. Accelerated Sous Vide Cooking Course - ChefSteps - Free Sous Vide Cooking Course - Sous Vide Recipes - Modernist Cuisine It's pretty amazing and teaches you more than you need to know about sous vide.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Another good source is the egullet forums, but the threads are long and go back years.

I had another good top sirloin night the other night--I have a friend who likes his steak medium well (sigh) and this enabled me to get him a slightly better texture.

I'm excited by some of the baking threads going on right now--I'm way out of touch on this stuff, and the glucomannon "cheese bread" rounds look like they would be the perfect vehicle for some sous vide poached eggs.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
I studied all the options extensively before purchasing a Fresh Meal Solutions Sous Vide Magic controller as well as their Fresh Meal Magic immersion heater and bubble circulator.

The Sous Vide Magic is much more sophisticated than the Dorkfood controller yet just $60 more.

I decided to go with the FMM immersion heater and bubbler because I found, during my research, that passive convection of a crock pot and the like may not be adequate in certain situations....from a food safety point of view and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Edited to add: I strongly recommend that anyone cooking sous vide read Douglas Baldwin's free "Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking" to familiarize yourself with all the critical safety issues involved!

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Preface

~Martin

Last edited by DiggingDogFarm; 02-02-2013 at 05:12 PM..
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post
I studied all the options extensively before purchasing a Fresh Meal Solutions Sous Vide Magic controller as well as their Fresh Meal Magic immersion heater and bubble circulator.

The Sous Vide Magic is much more sophisticated than the Dorkfood controller yet just $60 more.

I decided to go with the FMM immersion heater and bubbler because I found, during my research, that passive convection of a crock pot and the like may not be adequate in certain situations....from a food safety point of view and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Edited to add: I strongly recommend that anyone cooking sous vide read Douglas Baldwin's free "Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking" to familiarize yourself with all the critical safety issues involved!

A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking

~Martin
I have a SV Supreme Demi and it uses passive convection. I do have a tiny pump for small fish tanks (about $10) that I can use if I feel like I need more active bubbling.

I've got Baldwin's book as well as a few others and as far as I can see if you stick to the USDA charts (I follow this guideline Purdy Pictures: The Charts) you should be safe.

ETA: I do use a river rock (From the Alps in France ) to weigh my bags down. If I were cooking something like ribs that take days, I would use the pump.

Last edited by greybb1; 02-02-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
The aquarium bubbler is a very wise move!!!!

The Sous Vide Supreme and Demi heat from the bottom making convection a bit better (but only when the element is on), the convection plate in the bottom also helps.

In a crock pot the heat isn't centered at the bottom so convection currents aren't reliable.

It's extremely wise to position the food vertically and use a bubbler plate and an aquarium pump with a crock pot and the like.

It's also wise to not exceed 1 part food to 5 parts water, that makes a crock pot very limiting.

~Martin

Last edited by DiggingDogFarm; 02-02-2013 at 06:10 PM..
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the tips and links.

My first attempt was today. I cooked a 1 1/2 inch ribeye sealed, in my crockpot, using my DorkFood DSV temperature controller set at 133F. The temperature stayed right on, no flucuating. I put it on at 10 a.m. and removed it at 7:30, browned it in an iron skillet. It was awesome both in taste, temp, texture and evenly cooked warm pink all the way through. I am really pleased. There is tons of info on the web. I'd never heard of it until Charski posted about it. TYTY!

I have Mother's Westinghouse stand roaster I had forgotten about and haven't used it in about 4 years. This should work perfectly for larger amounts of meat. Trial and error, it's fun.