Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Anyone use a Sous Vide? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/795709-anyone-use-sous-vide.html)

Charski 01-29-2013 09:10 AM

Anyone use a Sous Vide?
 
I posted this on the PG too but thought all the great cooks here may have some experience with these things! :D

I really would like to have had a Sous Vide Supreme (marketed by the Drs. Eades) but didn't want to a) spend $400 and b) take up any more valuable counter/cupboard space for storage.

Well lo and behold, ran across an item on Amazon that you can use with your crockpot or roaster oven (electric) to turn it into a sous vide!

So anyone have hints/tips/recipes for me? It didn't come with any!

Greybb1 posted some AWESOME links on the PG and mentioned doing lemon curd in there - recipes welcome! :)

Perdita 01-29-2013 12:32 PM

Hi there! I think I probably know what item you're talking about and I got one for Christmas!

(I'm not sure what PG is? Could you point me there? I'd love to have more info.)

I use a 16 quart Roaster oven for my vessel.

Successes so far:

--Poached eggs (try about 143 degrees for an hour or so, right in the shell, see if you like that--there are lots of egg temp/time charts too)

--Sirloin steak, about 4-5 hours at 127 degrees or so, but really needs to be thick (1.5")

--Chicken breasts, bone in, can't remember what temp I used but they were very tender and I cut them up to use in curry

--Lobster tails! 144 degrees, about 40 minutes, put butter in the bag with them

--Filet (hard to screw up but it was extra mouthwatering)

I've also had some failures---I tried chuck steak because some blogs say it'll be like eating prime rib if you do it for a long time, but while the texture was fine it still 'tasted' like pot roast.

Overall sirloin has been the best intersection of price point and result for steaks. It gets tender but retains that nice flavor. And I've eaten SO many poached eggs since I got it.

rosethorns 01-29-2013 12:37 PM

I've seen them. They had one on food network. Interesting concept .

PG = Play Ground
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...lm-playground/
It's a cool place.

greybb1 01-29-2013 02:35 PM

Here's the lemon curd, Lemon Curd & Mousse SVKitchen

buttoni 01-29-2013 06:08 PM

I don't use one, but the blogger at Nom Nom Paleo uses hers extensively (and she's a GREAT cook!). There's also a Sous Vide discussion on Active Low Carbers forums under Kitchen: Recipes forums, "Kitchen Talk" subforum (about half way down the page)you might enjoy reading, Char. They're both quite accomplished using theirs.

Charski 01-30-2013 01:45 PM

Thanks, you guys - you're the best!

Peggy, will check out that blog.

scalestepper 01-30-2013 02:11 PM

This sounds so interesting Charski, I've never heard of it but am going to definitely read up on this, how awesome, thank you!

Charski 01-30-2013 03:00 PM

You're very welcome, it's quite interesting and I've spent a lot of the day reading and bookmarking sites with recipes and info on sous vide! :)

In case anyone is interested, what I bought cost $99 and is on Amazon - it's a DorkFood DSV temperature controller. I'll try it first with my crockpot, may also try it with my small electric roaster oven at the next experiment.

scalestepper 01-30-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16229833)
You're very welcome, it's quite interesting and I've spent a lot of the day reading and bookmarking sites with recipes and info on sous vide! :)

In case anyone is interested, what I bought cost $99 and is on Amazon - it's a DorkFood DSV temperature controller. I'll try it first with my crockpot, may also try it with my small electric roaster oven at the next experiment.

If you do a sirloin or steak, will you let me know how it turns out. I prob would use it with my crockpot too.

Charski 01-30-2013 05:07 PM

Will do!

Also try Youtube - search on there for sous vide. There is a guy who is using a thermocouple with a rice cooker and he cooks a ribeye steak. You can see what it looks like at least! ;)

scalestepper 01-30-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16230092)
Will do!

Also try Youtube - search on there for sous vide. There is a guy who is using a thermocouple with a rice cooker and he cooks a ribeye steak. You can see what it looks like at least! ;)

I took the plunge and ordered one, woohoo! I'll search that out. I am so excited. :cool:

I found this recipe.

Chimichurri-Rubbed Sirloin with Leek & Cauliflower Mash

Ingredients
2 TX Organics Top Sirloins
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon grass-fed butter, divided
1 tablespoon ghee (for browning steaks)

Dry Rub: (*Note: this makes enough rub for 3-4 steaks)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder

Directions:

1.Combine all dry rub ingredients in a small bowl.
2.Rub steaks with crushed garlic.
3.Generously season steaks with dry rub. Save any leftover rub for later use with another recipe.
4.Place steaks in a vacuum sealable bag and place 1/2 tablespoon of butter on each steak. And seal.
5.Set SousVide at 130F.
6.Once water bath is ready, place steaks in SousVide & cook for 28 hours.
7.Remove from bag, pat dry with a paper towel.
8.Heat ghee over medium heat in a skillet. Place steaks in skillet and cook a few minutes on each side (about 2 mins) to form a crust.
9.Transfer steaks to a plate.

Perdita 01-31-2013 05:16 AM

The Dorkfood model is what I have.

I got some very thick sirloin from Whole Foods and put them in the sous vide yesterday morning before work (vacuum sealed with salt/pepper/a little butter). They stayed at 127 degrees for about 9 hours total. Then I seared them on all sides very quickly. They were very good/very tender.

scalestepper 01-31-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perdita (Post 16230789)
The Dorkfood model is what I have.

I got some very thick sirloin from Whole Foods and put them in the sous vide yesterday morning before work (vacuum sealed with salt/pepper/a little butter). They stayed at 127 degrees for about 9 hours total. Then I seared them on all sides very quickly. They were very good/very tender.

Thank you. I have read the steaks need to be thick. I am excited to learn this way of cooking.

Perdita 01-31-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalestepper (Post 16230953)
Thank you. I have read the steaks need to be thick. I am excited to learn this way of cooking.

It's definitely interesting and can make spectacular results, but be prepared for a little trial and error. :)

An easy/fast first experiment is to put in some whole eggs (in shell) and poach them at 143 for about 45 minutes. Carefully crack and pour onto your foundation of choice (veggies/salad/lowcarb bread/etc). Add a little sea or kosher salt. Nom.

scalestepper 01-31-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perdita (Post 16231039)
It's definitely interesting and can make spectacular results, but be prepared for a little trial and error. :)

An easy/fast first experiment is to put in some whole eggs (in shell) and poach them at 143 for about 45 minutes. Carefully crack and pour onto your foundation of choice (veggies/salad/lowcarb bread/etc). Add a little sea or kosher salt. Nom.

That will be my first thing to do. My temp controller should be here tomorrow or Saturday.

kalatraza 01-31-2013 09:46 AM

Oh, you all are so so dangerous. . . *adds yet another gadget to her amazon wish list*. . . .:) I love you for it, by the way.

Charski 01-31-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalatraza (Post 16231428)
Oh, you all are so so dangerous. . . *adds yet another gadget to her amazon wish list*. . . .:) I love you for it, by the way.

LOL! We ARE "gadget enablers" for sure!

I'm gonna do B/S chicken breasts in mine today. :jumpjoy: Will post how they come out!

scalestepper 01-31-2013 11:32 AM

QUOTE=Charski;16231495]LOL! We ARE "gadget enablers"



I'm gonna do B/S chicken breasts in mine today. Will post how they come out![/QUOTE]

lol...please do share, at what temp and how long for the b/s chicken breasts?

I"ve watched more vidoes this morning and it's amazing, even saw one on hanger steak and I've never seen that cut of meat.

EllaP 01-31-2013 01:11 PM

I love my Sous Vide machine. I've been mostly impressed with beef cuts, but pork and chicken has done very well, too. I haven't been keeping track of times/temperatures, but I will start so I can share. I did finish up some Oxtails yesterday that are so good! 48 hours at 140. They come out with nice pink color inside and very tender. For serving, I torched the outsides instead of searing in a pan (because I am a gadget fanatic) and they were delicious. I did beef ribs a while back for 72 hours and they were the same... delicious, pink inside and tender. I haven't done vegetables yet.

(there are a couple iphone apps for sous vide, too.... just search sous vide on your phone)

Charski 01-31-2013 01:28 PM

My phone is a stupid phone! LOL! Tracfone, prepaid. No apps.

Well, I opened up the 2 packs of chicken I bought yesterday - they were marked $4 off per pack. I was surprised that each pack only contained TWO breasts but they're - shall we say - the Dolly Partons of the chicken world! :laugh:

I seasoned two with Cavendars Greek seasoning, a little freshly-ground pepper and some oregano, then sliced a small Meyer lemon and sealed all that in a Foodsaver bag. The other two I rubbed lightly with liquid smoke, then used my all-purpose wing seasoning (smoked paprika, oregano, garlic salt, chile powder, and who knows what the heck all else I put in there) and sealed THOSE. Not sure if I'll cook them all tonight, or just two, and stuff the other two in the freezer for later. What fun!

EllaP 01-31-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16231949)
Not sure if I'll cook them all tonight, or just two, and stuff the other two in the freezer for later. What fun!

You can cook them all tonight and then stuff what you don't need in the freezer. Then when you want to eat them you can bring them back to temperature, in the sous vide set up or a pot of really hot water, and finish them off however you like.

(I must say, having the sous vide has gotten me back into using my Foodsaver. I use it all the time now with bags and mason jars, for freezer, fridge or cupboard storage.)

scalestepper 01-31-2013 01:59 PM

I don't have the mason jar sealer but I read last night that you can cook in the jars as well as the bags. Very interesting...gotta love it :)

Charski 01-31-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllaP (Post 16231992)
You can cook them all tonight and then stuff what you don't need in the freezer. Then when you want to eat them you can bring them back to temperature, in the sous vide set up or a pot of really hot water, and finish them off however you like.

(I must say, having the sous vide has gotten me back into using my Foodsaver. I use it all the time now with bags and mason jars, for freezer, fridge or cupboard storage.)

I thought about that, but decided to just cook one pouch tonight and make sure we like the results before I cook more! :)

We use our Foodsaver a LOT now - we started sprouting/dehydrating our own grains, which we then vacuum seal in 2 liter soda or other bottles. Then when I want to make bread, I grind the sprouted grains in the Vitamix and make bread in my Zojirushi bread maker! :D High tech - but beats paying almost $5/loaf for Ezekiel bread, which is what we were eating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalestepper (Post 16232006)
I don't have the mason jar sealer but I read last night that you can cook in the jars as well as the bags. Very interesting...gotta love it :)

Wow, really? Can you tell me where you found the info about cooking in the jars??

scalestepper 02-01-2013 07:53 AM

This is one site Charski, I saw one on eggs and another one on a sauce. I don't see that it the same concept as the vacuum bags but I guess some things might work with jars. :dunno:


Sous Vide Rustic Lamb Shanks - a set on Flickr

greybb1 02-02-2013 02:45 PM

I cook my lemon curd in a Mason jar, then just screw the top on after it cools and put it in the fridge. It never lasts much more than a couple of days. :yummy:

Y'all must check out this site if you haven't already. Accelerated Sous Vide Cooking Course - ChefSteps - Free Sous Vide Cooking Course - Sous Vide Recipes - Modernist Cuisine It's pretty amazing and teaches you more than you need to know about sous vide.

Perdita 02-02-2013 02:58 PM

Another good source is the egullet forums, but the threads are long and go back years. :)

I had another good top sirloin night the other night--I have a friend who likes his steak medium well (sigh) and this enabled me to get him a slightly better texture.

I'm excited by some of the baking threads going on right now--I'm way out of touch on this stuff, and the glucomannon "cheese bread" rounds look like they would be the perfect vehicle for some sous vide poached eggs.

DiggingDogFarm 02-02-2013 05:07 PM

I studied all the options extensively before purchasing a Fresh Meal Solutions Sous Vide Magic controller as well as their Fresh Meal Magic immersion heater and bubble circulator.

The Sous Vide Magic is much more sophisticated than the Dorkfood controller yet just $60 more.

I decided to go with the FMM immersion heater and bubbler because I found, during my research, that passive convection of a crock pot and the like may not be adequate in certain situations....from a food safety point of view and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Edited to add: I strongly recommend that anyone cooking sous vide read Douglas Baldwin's free "Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking" to familiarize yourself with all the critical safety issues involved!

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Preface

~Martin

greybb1 02-02-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm (Post 16236159)
I studied all the options extensively before purchasing a Fresh Meal Solutions Sous Vide Magic controller as well as their Fresh Meal Magic immersion heater and bubble circulator.

The Sous Vide Magic is much more sophisticated than the Dorkfood controller yet just $60 more.

I decided to go with the FMM immersion heater and bubbler because I found, during my research, that passive convection of a crock pot and the like may not be adequate in certain situations....from a food safety point of view and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Edited to add: I strongly recommend that anyone cooking sous vide read Douglas Baldwin's free "Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking" to familiarize yourself with all the critical safety issues involved!

A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking

~Martin

I have a SV Supreme Demi and it uses passive convection. I do have a tiny pump for small fish tanks (about $10) that I can use if I feel like I need more active bubbling.

I've got Baldwin's book as well as a few others and as far as I can see if you stick to the USDA charts (I follow this guideline Purdy Pictures: The Charts) you should be safe.

ETA: I do use a river rock (From the Alps in France :D) to weigh my bags down. If I were cooking something like ribs that take days, I would use the pump.

DiggingDogFarm 02-02-2013 06:07 PM

The aquarium bubbler is a very wise move!!!!

The Sous Vide Supreme and Demi heat from the bottom making convection a bit better (but only when the element is on), the convection plate in the bottom also helps.

In a crock pot the heat isn't centered at the bottom so convection currents aren't reliable.

It's extremely wise to position the food vertically and use a bubbler plate and an aquarium pump with a crock pot and the like.

It's also wise to not exceed 1 part food to 5 parts water, that makes a crock pot very limiting.

~Martin

scalestepper 02-02-2013 07:29 PM

Thanks for the tips and links.

My first attempt was today. I cooked a 1 1/2 inch ribeye sealed, in my crockpot, using my DorkFood DSV temperature controller set at 133F. The temperature stayed right on, no flucuating. I put it on at 10 a.m. and removed it at 7:30, browned it in an iron skillet. It was awesome both in taste, temp, texture and evenly cooked warm pink all the way through. I am really pleased. There is tons of info on the web. I'd never heard of it until Charski posted about it. TYTY!

I have Mother's Westinghouse stand roaster I had forgotten about and haven't used it in about 4 years. This should work perfectly for larger amounts of meat. Trial and error, it's fun.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 AM.