Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: Goal: 168, 5'9", 27
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 14th April 2014
Almond Flour v Coconut Flour - Which Is Lower Carb/More Useful

Hiya

I'm going to buy either some almond flour or some coconut flour. The first thing I'd like to try is combining the flour with parmesan to make 'breading' for chicken or fish and I know there are lots of other uses too.

Can anyone tell me which they would recommend? Which is lower carb?

Thanks
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins/ lots of veggies
Start Date: 1/2/13
I bought both. I think they are both very low, coconut possibly somewhat lower but I don't have it in front of me. I've been using the almond and parm and love it! Have used for chicken, fish, eggplant and zucchini!
leaving30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
The characteristics are different.
Almond flour would work better in a breading.
Coconut flour really sucks up moisture, so it makes it a useful ingredient for making LC pancakes, muffins, and breads.

You cannot do a straight substitution between almond flour and coconut flour.
If a baked good recipe calls for 2 T of almond flour, subbing 2 T coconut flour will make it dry. Conversely, subbing almond flour in a recipe that calls for coconut flour will result in a runnier batter.

I'd say I use coconut flour more often. I use it it floopsies. I use it in a flax pancake as a sub for some of the flax. I use it in pizza crust (but I need to tweak my recipe).

I keep both of mine in the freezer, in a zip lock.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #4

My breader recipe:

Bowl 1:
2T almond flour mixed w/ Tbl of parmesan, can season w/garlic powder if you want.

Bowl 2:
an egg beaten with a little water

Bowl 3:
2 T almond flour
5 or 6 good sized pork rinds, pulverized to a fine powder
1/4 cup parmesan.

Dust the product by dipping into bowl 1.
Dip the product into the eggwash (bowl 2)
Coat by rolling around in bowl 3.

Calories 466.8
Total Fat 34.0 g
Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
Protein 32.7 g

A hint:
mix up your stuff but don't use all of it in the bowl at once. It gets gooey from the eggwash and you end up with a sticky mess that you have to throw away.

It's hard to calculate your carbs/cal from this.
Last time I did it, I made an enormous platter of fried veggies and chicken bites. My husband and I shared it and I threw a few pieces away because we were stuffed. Plus some of the breading got tossed as it got gloppy from the egg wash.
emel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: Goal: 168, 5'9", 27
Start Date: 14th April 2014
Perfect, I've gone ahead and ordered one of each so thank you for the info.

Emel, thanks so much for the recipe. Are the pork rinds essential or can it be done without them?
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #6

YOu can do without them. I just like to tweak.
There's lots of recipes online that call for just almond flour and parmesan.
emel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
I use my almond flour a lot more than my coconut flour. The only things I use the coconut flour for are pancakes and as a thickener.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I just can't use coconut flour. it tastes like COCONUT in everything. LOL really, I don't know why people use it, except in very specialized recipes.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I find coconut flour very hard to work with and things rarely have the right texture with it. It occasionally comes in handy, but I've been working with the same 12 oz can I bought more than a year ago. You've already ordered it, but I would suggest for others contemplating this that you can find coconut flour in the bulk bins of health stores like WF--buy a little and see if you like it before committing to a larger quantity.

Almond flour, on the other hand, is used all the time and, while it's not the same as wheat flour, it works pretty well in most things I make (I use it in one minute muffins instead of flax). You can buy it fairly inexpensively at health stores and Trader Joe's and it's not that difficult to make at home in a food processor or blender if you are careful to grind small quantites at LOW SPEED in quick bursts so that you don't end up with almond butter instead.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I really like blending them. I keep a refrigerated plastic bin of coconut + almond + golden flax and it works for most purposes.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Coconut flour is much much cheaper here, so I use that one most of the time. I however, really don't like the flavour or texture, so there's only a couple recipes that I really like with it. Combining it with oat fiber really works wonders.

Almond flour seems to have the closest "bread texture" and best flavour of the substitutes I use, but I use it sparingly because it's so pricey here, and I only buy it when it's randomly on sale at a local store, and only when they have it in the bulk section. And then, it's still more expensive than I see others on here paying! lol.

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
I really like blending them. I keep a refrigerated plastic bin of coconut + almond + golden flax and it works for most purposes.
what percentages of each?
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_Baby View Post
Hiya

I'm going to buy either some almond flour or some coconut flour. The first thing I'd like to try is combining the flour with parmesan to make 'breading' for chicken or fish and I know there are lots of other uses too.

Can anyone tell me which they would recommend? Which is lower carb?

Thanks
For chicken and fish I like crushed pork rinds for breading.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainesmith View Post
what percentages of each?
I experiment. I think the current bin is 2 flax, 1 coconut, 1 almond. Works pretty well for mug cakes.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Coconut flour is much much cheaper here, so I use that one most of the time. I however, really don't like the flavour or texture, so there's only a couple recipes that I really like with it. Combining it with oat fiber really works wonders.

Almond flour seems to have the closest "bread texture" and best flavour of the substitutes I use, but I use it sparingly because it's so pricey here, and I only buy it when it's randomly on sale at a local store, and only when they have it in the bulk section. And then, it's still more expensive than I see others on here paying! lol.
Avy, how do you combine your coconut flour and oat fiber? One to one? Asking because I have a lifetime supply of coconut flour.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #16

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Here are some count comparisons for you:

2 ounces Aloha Nu brand coconut flour:
251 Calories; 9g Fat; 10g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 21g Dietary Fiber; 13g Net Carbs

2 ounces almond flour:
329 Calories; 29g Fat; 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I use them both, but in a recipe, I use predominantly almond and just add a tiny bit of coconut flour for the texture synergy it brings to baked goods. Like everyone has already said, it's tricky to use and can overpower a recipe (flavor-wise) real fast. And as a moisture sponge, it can make some bake d goods come out like a dry, hard-to-swallow inedible "brick" if you use too much of it.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Although coconut flour seems to be way higher in carbs, you use significantly less of it in any given recipe. I think the carbs work out to be higher than almond flour, but not by much.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
If I had to make a choice between my Honeyville blanched almond flour and my coconut flour - you could have the coconut flour. I've never cared for much of what I've made with it (exception - the strawberry shortcake recipe on this board someplace) but I LOVE my blanched almond flour.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
In my opinion, for whatever that's worth, I think the almond flour is far superior for baking, but the coconut flour is better as a filler/binder for things like meatloaves and salmon patties.

This is two cans of salmon.

Salmon Patties

1 can – drained – Wild Alaskan Sockeye Red Salmon (my favorite)
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Seasoned Salt
Pinch of Old Bay

Mix the eggs and the coconut flour together until you have the consistency of fluffy mashed potatoes. Mix egg mixture with the rest of the ingredients. Form patties, coat with popcorn meal or some other whole grain cornmeal and fry.

Makes 4 large patties.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Wow those salmon partties look amazing!!! I know what's going on my shopping list!

I use both flours so I always have them on hand. I think I use the almond flour for more savory recipes and the coconut flour for sweets, but I do use them both for savory and sweet too.

I use the almond flour for breading, and cakes, cookies and cereal. I use coconut flour for dipping meats in before breading with almond flour to make it stick better. I also use the coconut flour for ouizoids fantastic flour mix. I have lots of recipes that use both flours so I couldn't be without either one. I guess it just depends on your tastes and what you like or want to make.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Chicken Lady I have 3 cans of wild Alaskan sockeye red salmon just waiting for this recipe. OH I can't wait. Scrumdelicious!!!!!

I use both flours . I couldn't be without them.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Chicken Lady.... Thank you for the Salmon patties recipe.

picklepete.... I, too, prepackage all the dry ingredients for my OMM in small size snack bags.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Hey, your welcome guys, Salmon Patties is a favorite around here too.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jesstar
I agree that coconut flour has peculiar sweet coconut taste, so if you don't like coconuts and coconut milk as me, you might not like it. But it's very healthy, that's why I add it sometimes when I cook something sweet, not pizza or something)
Jesstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
I guess it's a little bit late to reply but I just had to add that I've pretty much stopped using coconut flour, first because it sits in my tummy like lead even if I eat just a little bit and second because it makes a mess of my dishwasher. It makes a paste that sticks to the mesh drain and is real hard to get rid of.
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
I was just researching this last night and found a site that stated Almond flour is not good for us if eaten often because you are way overeating almonds which are high in Omega 6 and oxalates. I can't post the link because the site also has a store, but you can google Reasons to Avoid Almond Flour.

I am still undecided. Right now I am not eating any bread-type products, but I wanted to prepare for a low carb alternative when I do end up baking. I read about coconut flour as well and have read mixed reviews on it. Although it has some very beneficial qualities, it is also high in saturated fats (one website said Omega 6 as well, but I thought only unsaturated fats could be Omega 6). so I don't know. Wish there was an Olive flour. I guess there is good and bad to everything and we all just have to make the decision that seems best to us at the time.

Last edited by mjgh06; 10-07-2013 at 07:26 AM..
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #28

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Coconut Flour seriously has a learning curve and doesn't work like any thing you have ever used before. It takes eggs to make this work. I have learned it also doesn't take much coconut flour either in comparison to other flours.

I have found for the most part add the coconut flour last after you have added every ingredient in the recipe first works best, stopping just as the batter seems to be getting thickish. Sometimes if you are following a recipe you might think..... the recipe calls for 3/4 cup, therefore I need to add 3/4 cup. Not always the case. Sometimes if you force it the end product may very well be very, very dry.

Before I ever baked with coconut flour I watched Youtube video's and read how to use it.

The pie crust recipe I posted does work pretty good using the amounts I shared but things like cakes and such really does need to be less is more if you know what I mean.

I made a chocolate cake that took a dozen eggs and butter and it still was dry. What saved it was I made a sugar free caramel frosting recipe (someone gave me) and let it sit in the refrigerator frosted and covered and the moistness from the frosting seem to help the cake stop being so dry and was actually very good.
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 10-07-2013 at 08:03 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote