Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Anyone have any great pressure cooker recipes?

Just pulled out my pressure cooker and thought I would give it a try. I wasn't very successful the couple of times I used it, so any recipes or tips would be most welcome!
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
SWISS STEAK in the Pressure Cooker

2 lbs. round steak
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp. fat
1 medium diced onion
1 medium bunch diced celery
1 medium diced green pepper
1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes
1-cup water

Brown meat on both sides put the rest of the ingredients in the pressure cooker and cook 15 to 20 minutes. Allow pressure to drop on it’s own.

I serve this over rice for my family and I eat mine over cauliflower rice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This makes a LOT of chili, it freezes very well. I put it into the freezer in single serving size containers and push a piece of plastic wrap down on top of the chili and freeze. To thaw place in the microwave on defrost for 2 pounds of meat. Then remove from the container to a bowl and finish heating.

Chili With Small Red Beans

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) package small red beans
9 cups water

2 pounds lean ground beef
2 medium onions – diced
2 stalks celery – diced
1 medium bell pepper – diced
6 cloves garlic – minced
1 package French’s Chili-O – chili seasoning mix
1 package Old El Paso (Hot and Spicy) – taco seasoning mix
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
3 beef bullion cubes
1 chicken bullion cubes
4 cups water

Directions
1.In a pressure cooker, cook the beans and 9 cups of water for 18 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2.In a very large stew pot, brown ground beef with vegetables until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
3.Add seasoning packets and stir well.
4.Add diced tomatoes, both cans of tomato paste, bullion cubes and 4 cups water stirring well.
5.Add beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a very slow simmer and simmer covered for 1 hour stirring every 10 to 15 minutes.
6.Serve with some grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Pressure Cooker Bistro Chicken

2 shallots
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
8 ea boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/3 cup white wine
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
salt and pepper to taste
How To Prepare: Mince shallots. Melt 1 tbsp of the butter in pressure cooker. Add chicken and brown on both sides; remove from pan and set aside.

Add vinegar to pressure cooker and scrape any browned bits from the bottom. Add shallots and cook until softened, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, wine, stock and tarragon, salt and pepper and then arrange chicken on top. Cover and bring to full pressure. Once full pressure is reached, cook for 10 minutes. Release pressure and remove chicken and set aside, covered with foil.

Increase heat to high and boil sauce til thick, about 5 minutes. Add xanthum or another thickening agent if desired. Stir in remaining 2 tbsp of butter and adjust seasoning. Return chicken to pan and turn to coat.

Number of Servings: 4

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Lamb Shanks in the Pressure Cooker, Indian style

SERVES 4

4 good meaty lamb shanks
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon mojo de ajo, oil part, OR 1 tablespoon olive oil or bacon fat
1 cup chicken stock (or other broth)
1 cup merlot
1 16 oz. Container mirepoix from Trader Joe's (diced celery, carrots, and onions)
4 oz. Sliced crimini or other mushrooms
1 can tomato paste
1 tablespoon mojo de ajo, garlic part OR 3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon (to taste) garam masala
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch red pepper flakes (to taste)

1. Trim excess fat from the lamb shanks and season with salt and pepper. (I admit I like fat on my meat, and the lamb isn't that fatty, so I didn't trim my shanks).
2. Heat the oil in the PC. Add the shanks, two at a time, and brown on all sides. (You can do this in a separate pan if you like).
3. Remove shanks from pan as they are browned and set aside.
4. Add the mirepoix to the fat in the pan and stir til starting to caramelize.
5. Add the mushrooms and stir til starting to brown.
6. Add the stock, wine, 1 tablespoon of the tomato paste, mojo de ajo garlic, and rosemary, stirring so the tomato paste dissolves.
7. Add the shanks back into the pot.
8. Close the PC and bring up to full pressure (15 pounds).
9. Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 30 minutes.
10. Remove PC from heat and let pressure release naturally.
11. Remove the lamb shanks to a baking dish.
12. Use an immersion blender and blend ingredients in pan til smooth.
13. Stir in the remaining tomato sauce, garam masala, pepper flakes and cinnamon.
14. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed - then pour over lamb shanks.
15. Refrigerate until chilled.
16. Reheat in 350* oven til hot through.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

My pressure cooker note is at the bottom of this one:

Chili Colorado

Serves 4

8 dried chiles, 2 each: California, guajillo, chile negro and pasilla chiles, or combo of what you can find locally
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 heaping tablespoons dark cocoa powder
1 tablespoon coffee powder
1 heaping tablespoon almond or peanut butter
Sea salt
2 tablespoons lard or rendered bacon fat
2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
5 large cloves garlic, minced
1 12-oz. low carb beer - I like Corona Light
2 1/4 cups chicken, turkey, or beef stock, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons masa harina (corn tortilla flour) (yes, I do use this, it's a very small amount and nothing else gives quite the same flavor/thickening)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 squirts DaVinci SF pineapple syrup
1 tablespoon brown Diabetisweet
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Wipe the chiles off with a barely damp paper towel, to knock off any dust/debris. Cut off the tops and shake out the seeds. Put them on a baking sheet and roast at 300* about 5 to 8 minutes - watch them closely or they'll burn. You want them to soften up slightly.

Nuke about 2 cups of the stock til hot but not boiling. Put chiles in a blender container and just cover with the hot stock. Put the lid on and let stand 20 to 30 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano, coffee powder, cocoa powder, nut butter, pepper, and about a tablespoon of salt; puree mixture, adding more water if needed, and scrape down the sides of the jar, until you get a smooth paste about like tomato sauce consistency. Set aside.

Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of the lard. When it begins to barely smoke, swirl skillet to coat and add half of the beef. Lightly brown on at least two sides, about 3 minutes per side; turn down the heat if the meat is browning too fast. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with remaining beef. Set aside.

Let the skillet cool slightly, then over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of lard, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato paste and cook a few minutes to mellow it out. Add the beer, and gradually whisk in the masa harina. Stir in the reserved chile paste, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a spatula to loosen any browned bits. Add the cooked beef plus any juices that have accumulated in the bowl and bring to a simmer over high heat. Add more stock if needed to thin it a bit. Add DaVinci syrup. Reduce heat to maintain the barest possible simmer (just a few bubbles breaking the surface) and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender but still somewhat firm and 1 1/2 to 2 cups of thickened but still liquid sauce surrounds the cubes of meat, about 2 hours.

Stir in the brown Diabetisweet and cider vinegar, add more salt if needed; simmer another 10 minutes or so. Now turn off the heat and let the chili stand about 30 minutes. It should absorb about half of the remaining sauce in the skillet. You want a nice thick sauce, but not dry. Stir in some broth or water if the mixture seems too dry. If the mixture seems too wet, allow it to simmer a bit more. Adjust with a bit of additional salt, sweetener, or vinegar, to your taste.

3/13/12 - did up to the point of simmering it all, then put into pressure cooker set at Low pressure for 36 minutes.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! Those sound really good! Charski, I had to look up what mojo de ajo is and it looks amazing! I've got about a cup and a half of garlic I need to use so I think I'll make some.

Chicken Lady, the swiss steak is right up my ally. My mom used to make it all the time, I totally forgot about it. My mom used her pressure cooker at least twice a week. Unfortunately it's the one thing she didn't teach me how to use.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Charski, do you think I could use pork chops instead of the Lamb Shanks? I'm not a big fan of the lamb.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Gadget Gal

You probably could, but I'd make sure they're cut pretty thick - maybe 1.5 to 2". You can also buy pork shanks, so there is another option.

Might be even better with a boneless pork sirloin though, or pork butt, if you trimmed away some of the fat!

However, I will say this - DH is not a big fan of lamb either but he loves this dish, served with quinoa and chopped sweet onion!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I love to put chicken thighs in my low-pressure cooker with a quartered onion and some celery, salt and pepper and cook it about 30-45 minutes.
Very moist tender chicken and nice broth as well
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote