Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Remember Cabbage Soup?

Remember the good ol’ cabbage soup diet? Well I didn’t do very well on that plan, but I did get one nice takeaway from it: the idea of making such a delicious “free” soup to have before meals, as a snack, etc.
Now I make it once every 2 weeks and it is a great way to get in those low-carb veggies. The ingredients are just estimates, so adjust to your taste.

Basic Vegetable Soup:

Sauté in a very large stockpot the following vegetables (in the order given) until vegetables are beginning to turn golden and caramelized. This is an important step, it makes your soup flavorful and rich-tasting:

• 1 medium yellow onion, chopped or use a bunch of spring onions for lower carbs
• 8 stalks celery, chopped
• 1 carrot (optional), sliced
• ¾-1 medium size cabbage, chopped

Add and stir in:

• 2 large cans petite diced tomatoes or tomato puree or a combination
• 1 bag frozen green beans, cut into 1” pieces
• 1 tbs Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
• Tomato paste to taste (it’s not necessary, but will thicken the soup a little and give it a more tomato-y taste)
• 1 quart water
• Herbs and salt to taste: I use onion powder or flakes, Ms Dash, Italian blend, etc.

And here’s the kicker for a hearty, meaty flavor:
• 2 tbs. nutritional yeast flakes (NOT brewer’s yeast or baker’s yeast, Heaven’s no!) This adds 45 calories, 8 g protein and 1 gram net carbs to the whole pot.

Bring all to a boil and simmer until veggies are tender.

Right before eating, you can add a few cubes of steamed, tender rutabaga or cauliflower or whatever low carb veggies you have around. Young spinach leaves are good, fresh parsley, sautéed mushrooms, etc.—those are things that will get soggy if they sit in the prepared soup in the fridge, so I like to add them in at the time I heat up the soup.

To make it into a quick a meal, you can also add leftover chunks of pot roast, chicken, turkey, etc.

This makes about 6 quarts, so it is a lot of soup! I freeze half and eat a bowl daily on most days to up my veggie/fiber intake.

Last edited by dianafoot; 01-21-2013 at 10:53 AM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Yes, I do Diana, but I think the recipe I had was just cabbage, celery, onions and tomatoes and I also didn't lose anything on it, but still make it once in awhile. Will have to try your recipe, looks good...................... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
Yes, I do Diana, but I think the recipe I had was just cabbage, celery, onions and tomatoes and I also didn't lose anything on it, but still make it once in awhile. Will have to try your recipe, looks good...................... Ann
Actually, this is my take on the basic soup. It's just so nice to have the filling, high fiber, high water, low carb veggies all ready for me. I can add a bit of meat to it or eat a piece of cheese and low-carb bread or crackers, and not have to worry with making lunch.

I also do better with the low carb woe if I eat a fair amount of veggies. Keeps things running smoothly, if you get my drift.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
O.K. then my memory hasn't totally gone yet, anyway put cabbage on my list and am going to try this next week. And Yes, I do get your drift. Thanks for the reminder about the soup, haven't done it in quite awhile.................. Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oh, I love that stuff. And yours looks so good, Diana. I think a little cabbage enhances ANY veggie soup and don't make one without a little shredded up in it.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Oh, I love that stuff. And yours looks so good, Diana. I think a little cabbage enhances ANY veggie soup and don't make one without a little shredded up in it.
Thanks, Peggy. I love fresh veggies, but it is often time-consuming to wash, trim, chop, steam, etc. 2 or 3 veggies for both lunch and dinner--especially since I work 10-11-hour days. This way lunch is taken care of--just have to combine with a little lc bread and cheese or throw in some leftover meat and I've got a meal.

We often have a cup of this soup before dinner and then make something simple like a piece of grilled fish & a salad (+rice and bread for dh who's not doing lc). Makes life simpler!

Last edited by dianafoot; 01-22-2013 at 07:20 AM..