Remember Cabbage Soup?
Remember the good ol’ cabbage soup diet? Well I didn’t do very well on that plan, but I did get one nice takeaway from it: the idea of making such a delicious “free” soup to have before meals, as a snack, etc.
Now I make it once every 2 weeks and it is a great way to get in those low-carb veggies. The ingredients are just estimates, so adjust to your taste.
Basic Vegetable Soup:
Sauté in a very large stockpot the following vegetables (in the order given) until vegetables are beginning to turn golden and caramelized. This is an important step, it makes your soup flavorful and rich-tasting:
• 1 medium yellow onion, chopped or use a bunch of spring onions for lower carbs
• 8 stalks celery, chopped
• 1 carrot (optional), sliced
• ¾-1 medium size cabbage, chopped
Add and stir in:
• 2 large cans petite diced tomatoes or tomato puree or a combination
• 1 bag frozen green beans, cut into 1” pieces
• 1 tbs Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
• Tomato paste to taste (it’s not necessary, but will thicken the soup a little and give it a more tomato-y taste)
• 1 quart water
• Herbs and salt to taste: I use onion powder or flakes, Ms Dash, Italian blend, etc.
And here’s the kicker for a hearty, meaty flavor:
• 2 tbs. nutritional yeast flakes (NOT brewer’s yeast or baker’s yeast, Heaven’s no!) This adds 45 calories, 8 g protein and 1 gram net carbs to the whole pot.
Bring all to a boil and simmer until veggies are tender.
Right before eating, you can add a few cubes of steamed, tender rutabaga or cauliflower or whatever low carb veggies you have around. Young spinach leaves are good, fresh parsley, sautéed mushrooms, etc.—those are things that will get soggy if they sit in the prepared soup in the fridge, so I like to add them in at the time I heat up the soup.
To make it into a quick a meal, you can also add leftover chunks of pot roast, chicken, turkey, etc.
This makes about 6 quarts, so it is a lot of soup! I freeze half and eat a bowl daily on most days to up my veggie/fiber intake.
Yes, I do Diana, but I think the recipe I had was just cabbage, celery, onions and tomatoes and I also didn't lose anything on it, but still make it once in awhile. Will have to try your recipe, looks good...................... Ann
I also do better with the low carb woe if I eat a fair amount of veggies. Keeps things running smoothly, if you get my drift. :D
O.K. then my memory hasn't totally gone yet, anyway put cabbage on my list and am going to try this next week. And Yes, I do get your drift. Thanks for the reminder about the soup, haven't done it in quite awhile.................. Ann
Oh, I love that stuff. And yours looks so good, Diana. I think a little cabbage enhances ANY veggie soup and don't make one without a little shredded up in it.
We often have a cup of this soup before dinner and then make something simple like a piece of grilled fish & a salad (+rice and bread for dh who's not doing lc). Makes life simpler! :clap:
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49 AM.|