Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DixieMoon
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/2011
Your Favorite Beef Stroganoff recipe

Wanting creamy hamburger stroganoff recipe using cream cheese and/or sour cream instead of canned soups. Thanks!
DixieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Beef Stroganoff

My husband just loves Stroganoff! So I cook it occasionally for him. This is how I usually put it together…..pretty simple, actually. We low-carbers can’t have it on noodles, so I have mine on steamed cauliflower. But for my husband I cook some Dreamfields lasagna noodles cut into strips after they are done. This recipe is OK for Induction only if served over veggies or alone. Here's a pic of it over noodles:

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. sirloin steak, trimmed & cut in thin strips
4 T. butter, unsalted
4 oz. onion, chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
3/4 c. beef bouillon
¼ c. red wine (omit if still in Atkins Induction)
½ c. sour cream
xanthan gum to thicken

DIRECTIONS: In a large non-stick skillet or wok, brown the onion. Add meat strips and continue searing until done. Add mushrooms at this point. Saute for a few more minutes until they, too, are done. Lower heat to lowest setting. Add bouillon & wine. Simmer 5-10 minutes to blend flavors. Cover with lid and simmer (or bake at 350º ) for 1 hour. Check and stir occasionally during cooking. Slightly thicken with several light dustings of xanthan gum, whisking continuously between additions. Right before serving, with fire off, remove lid and gently stir in sour cream. Do not bring to a boil after adding sour cream or it will curdle and be visually off-putting. Serve over buttered cooked cabbage strips, cooked zucchini noodles or cauli-rice.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Please note the numbers below do not reflect the veggie or Dreamfields one might serve this over. The numbers below are for the meat sauce only.

Makes 4 servings, each contains:

344 calories
21.9 g fat
5.6 g carbs
.83 g fiber
28.8 g protein
approx. 313 mg. sodium
4.82 g NET CARBS
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Boy, that looks good, Buttoni! I have some mushrooms that I need to use and I know there's hamburger in the freezer so I think I'll give your recipe a try tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks for posting and the pic!

And thanks to you Dixie for posing the question!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Boy, that looks good, Buttoni! I have some mushrooms that I need to use and I know there's hamburger in the freezer so I think I'll give your recipe a try tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks for posting and the pic!

And thanks to you Dixie for posing the question!
Thanks for the recipe and pic. That looks really delish! Want some comfort food because it's cold! Since I don't have any "gum" will add some cream cheese to thicken. That should work - don't you think?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Yes, that should thicken it. Or if you have it, a light dusting of glucomannan powder dusted into the liquid would also work. I have my thickeners in salt shakers with very fine holes. That works really well for me.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Buttoni! Have ordered the gluc. powder from Netrition - want to make your dumplings recipe. Love country pork ribs and sauerkraut mixed together and the dumplings would be great - used to use Bisquick for the dumplings.