Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #91
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
I have that same problem with my husband. I now mark my lunches "do not eat". I sometimes wonder what people at work think when they see that on my lunch container LOL
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
I made some more of these this afternoon. I used mozz this time. I flattened 4 of them (I even give them a little rim), and patted two into a round bun shape. I wanted to see what that texture would be like.

Anyway, as I got my stuff together to throw together this incredibly simple recipe, my brother took up his station off my left shoulder to watch every move I made. He's developmentally disabled and has lived with me for several years after our parents died. He's a well loved, tolerated, fixture in our family. He LOVES food.. any kind at all. Secondly he LOVES watching me make food.

So, there he is, and I finished up the bake and immediately added some pizza sauce to 2 of them with more mozz and some pepperoni and melted/toasted them for 2 or 3 minutes under the broiler. I gave one to him. I made one for me. I put the 4 plain ones remaining on a plate on the kitchen island to cool before I bagged them up for the refrigerator.

Unfortunately, my brother liked them more than I realized. When I went back to the kitchen later to retrieve the 4 cooling cheese rounds, they had vanished. I will never learn... Making more tomorrow. They're going in a lock box!
Sharon you are a writer!
This is a nice picture you've painted.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Well, I'd hoped to be able to try this experiment for myself and report back, but I've run myself out of almond flour on chocolate cake experiments, and can't stock back up till next weekend:

Some of us on the previous page were talking about getting a crisp biscuity flavor/mouthfeel from these, some said cheddar biscuits, to me they remind me of a slightly overbaked biscuit you might get from a fastfood restaurant for breakfast.

What if someone made the mix with the mildest possible cheese (shredded grocery store mozz, I guess), maybe baking powder/a little buttermilk, and rolled out/folded the dough several times before cutting out (thinly) with a biscuit cutter? I'm just wondering if it would be possible to get an even more biscuity texture. Unfortunately I'm not a good instinctive baker (meat is my specialty), so I don't intuitively know if this would work the way I'm imagining.

I also wonder what would happen if you froze your bag of shredded mozz first, then pulsed it in a blender or food processor (to get a finer texture). But maybe the big 'shreds' of cheese are part of what holds this kind of recipe together?
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Finally got around to making these today. Followed the original recipe except used 1 t. garlic powder instead of just 1/2 t. Used extra sharp cheddar. Threw all of the dry ingredients into the food processor and pulsed a few times. Melted the butter, let it cool down a bit, and added that and the egg to the mix and pulsed a few times. Baked as directed.

*I don't think there's any need to make this in the food processor. But my almond flour was lumpy - this whole bag was lump city for some reason -- and I just didn't feeling like smashing all the lumps with a fork today! That said, it was pretty quick to make it in the food processor and I only needed to use the small bowel.

Turned out way better than I expected, but mine were no where near as pretty as Linda Sue's photos! Tasted very much like those Red Lobster biscuits -- actually, better than those biscuits. I may make these again and add some gluc for the heck of it. Also might decrease the salt just a little. I did use pre-shredded cheese and sometimes it seems that stuff is saltier than what you get in a block, and I do tend to be more sensitive to salt than other folks -- my mom didn't season things much on the farm and I just never got used to what others consider to be "normal" levels of seasoning. So take this note with a grain of salt. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

A keeper for me for sure. Easy, fast, and yummy! I'd like to come up with a "garlic bread" version -- maybe with parmesan and mozzarella. As written, these would be fantastic with chili or ham I think. Or bacon. Come summer, these will be a nice foil for a beefsteak tomato and fresh mozzarella. . . and more bacon.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
I haven't yet used butter in mine. With just meal, egg, and cheese, I use a glass bowl and stir it all with a large spoon. This gives me stiff dough suitable for spreading in the wells. It´s so simple.
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
At the risk of disgusting everyone, I use my hands. I do wash them first, and squish squish squish.. done! I win.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Not a thing wrong with that. I have to mash the dough into the pan wells with my hands anyway.
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
(I've done both a small bowl and a wooden spoon, and also a few pulses in my smallest Ninja container because I already had some lumpy almond meal in there I wanted to try to refine.)
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
this makes me very happy. I love biscuits better than other bready things...hooo-ray!!! I was going to make these last night but my sister used the last of the eggs...
I made these using the original recipe but my dough seemed very heavy. So, I put in 1/2 tsp baking powder thinking it would lighten the dough. Baked they puffed a tiny bit but were still really solid. The texture is very dense...taste is lovely but I could only eat 1/2 of one round.

Any ideas to fluff this up a bit?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
At the risk of disgusting everyone, I use my hands. I do wash them first, and squish squish squish.. done! I win.
thats how I did mine as well. The best tools are your hands....
Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I made these using the original recipe but my dough seemed very heavy. So, I put in 1/2 tsp baking powder thinking it would lighten the dough. Baked they puffed a tiny bit but were still really solid. The texture is very dense...taste is lovely but I could only eat 1/2 of one round.

Any ideas to fluff this up a bit?
Maybe whipping the egg whites separately and folding them in at the very end? (Sort of like an oopsie.) That and some gluc powder might make a big difference. I'll post when I try it but it might be a while as I still have 3 rounds left to eat. I am liking the leftover ones crisped up in the toaster.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

I still have two of the 6 I made, I have to break in half, as I can't get through an entire one in one sitting...

I will try the whipped egg whites and the gluc, thing to see what it does, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
I tried these and oh my goodness, they are heavenly. Thank you, Linda Sue, for your photos and inspiring me. I have passed this recipe onto my lovely low carb support group that I started (we meet once a month).
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
Start Date: Jan 2013
OK you gals have made me hungry I might just try these tomorrow. I like the cinnamon idea and toast in toaster maybe. Thanks!
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I tried these and oh my goodness, they are heavenly. Thank you, Linda Sue, for your photos and inspiring me. I have passed this recipe onto my lovely low carb support group that I started (we meet once a month).
Wow, that would be fun, a low carb support group!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Wow, that would be fun, a low carb support group!
It is a fun time!

Everyone tries to bring a dish for the theme and in February it was Valentine's Day. March will be St. patrick's or a favorite Easter dish that they try to low carb.

We also want the duds . We all learn from the duds as everyone tries to understand sweeteners and flours. Moreover, someone's dud may be a favorite of someone else who has different tastes which is important to understand.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
It is a fun time!

Everyone tries to bring a dish for the theme and in February it was Valentine's Day. March will be St. patrick's or a favorite Easter dish that they try to low carb.

We also want the duds . We all learn from the duds as everyone tries to understand sweeteners and flours. Moreover, someone's dud may be a favorite of someone else who has different tastes which is important to understand.
That would be nice. And instead of making a whole recipe for myself, you can share and then get ideas from there. Enjoy! How did you start this group?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
TBipp, that does sound like a fun group!

I'm thinking about trying these with the BTF mix. I hope I'm not bothering anyone by constantly talking about it, but its the only flour mix I use now lol
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
That would be nice. And instead of making a whole recipe for myself, you can share and then get ideas from there. Enjoy! How did you start this group?
Many people (friends and friends of friends) were asking how I lost weight and I would proceed to tell them about low carb and how I was never hungry. They wanted more information, and more and soon it seems I was sending quite a bit of information and answering the same questions. I would also recommend Dana Carpender's book and Jonny Bowden's book to everyone as a starter. I like these books but one still needs help with menus and recipes. I realized it would be less work (emailing) for me to have once a month get togethers and it would be more motivating to all discuss together. We started in October, skipped December and have continued on. Having a food theme makes it a bit more focused also. April will be Cinco de Mayo ideas.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
TBipp, that does sound like a fun group!

I'm thinking about trying these with the BTF mix. I hope I'm not bothering anyone by constantly talking about it, but its the only flour mix I use now lol
I think the cheese rounds would be good with the BTF mix as they are a little greasy and the BTF mix has less fat than almond flour.

I just made my 12 X mix this morning and am contemplating what to bake. This is exciting to have something closer to flour. I miss chewy (chocolate chip cookies and brownies) and am hoping this mix will help achieve more chewy but that may be more from sugar so it could still be tough to get chewy.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: low-carb-c
I thought they were just a bit dry in the original recipe, so I added a teaspoon of water. Big improvement.

Also, skipped the garlic and it makes lovely bread for butter and a little sugar-free jelly. I'm going to try two as a hamburger bun in the next batch.
low-carb-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

I substituted 1/4 cup Better than Flour for the almond flour and they were much dryer. In my next batch, I will add some buttermilk, maybe 2 tablespoons which I think would get them even closer to the Red Lobster version.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
Start Date: Jan 2013
Gina I'm glad you are talking about it. Gives me ideas. Thanks
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I substituted 1/4 cup Better than Flour for the almond flour and they were much dryer. In my next batch, I will add some buttermilk, maybe 2 tablespoons which I think would get them even closer to the Red Lobster version.
That's good to know it works in this recipe! Did you just use the 1/4 cup of BTF mix or did you use it in addition to the almond flour that the recipe calls for, or did you use 1/4 cup less almond flour and use the BTF in its place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettebuff View Post
Gina I'm glad you are talking about it. Gives me ideas. Thanks
Thank you for saying that, I'm loving the mix so much! Are you following the original thread or the sticky thread with just the recipes?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
That's good to know it works in this recipe! Did you just use the 1/4 cup of BTF mix or did you use it in addition to the almond flour that the recipe calls for, or did you use 1/4 cup less almond flour and use the BTF in its place in recipes?
I substituted 1/4 cup BTF mix for 1/4 cup almond flour so I had the same amount of dry ingredients. I used 1/4 cup less almond flour.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I substituted 1/4 cup BTF mix for 1/4 cup almond flour so I had the same amount of dry ingredients. I used 1/4 cup less almond flour.

Gotcha!! Thanks for clearing that up!

I may make this tonight and just use the BTF and no almond flour and cheddar. I'm not sure how much flour I should use though. I might add some baking powder to it as well.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 164.4/163.2/135? <- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 1/2/2014
This is what's for dinner tonight... Double the recipe, add a little oregano and basil. I used one cup mozzarella and one cup Parmesan for the cheese. Spread it thin, baking for a crust right now. Going to keep it simple tonight with fresh mozzarella and good salami for toppings. Yum!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
This is what's for dinner tonight... Double the recipe, add a little oregano and basil. I used one cup mozzarella and one cup Parmesan for the cheese. Spread it thin, baking for a crust right now. Going to keep it simple tonight with fresh mozzarella and good salami for toppings. Yum!
I have some fresh mozarella - thanks for the idea for tomorrow night!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #119
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Today I made them as drop biscuits and they're even better! I like the soft inside with the crunchy outside. These make great biscuits. Click the photo to see a larger version.

LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
OMG Linda. Those looks soooo enticing!!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote