Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Why did I buy oat fiber?? Shelf life?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/794889-why-did-i-buy-oat-fiber-shelf-life.html)

tea cup 01-19-2013 04:39 PM

Why did I buy oat fiber?? Shelf life??

Maybe you can help me. I found an open package of oat fiber in my pantry. I don't remember why I bought it. And I am wondering if it lasts forever or do I need to toss it. I have had it for at least a year, I am guessing. And what in the world should I do with it??? Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially the shelf life.

CarenL 01-19-2013 04:48 PM

oat fiber

Quote:

Originally Posted by tea cup (Post 16206891)
Maybe you can help me. I found an open package of oat fiber in my pantry. I don't remember why I bought it. And I am wondering if it lasts forever or do I need to toss it. I have had it for at least a year, I am guessing. And what in the world should I do with it??? Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially the shelf life.

Have no idea on shelf life but I'm ordering this to try Ouizoids Fantastic Flour Mix
A Fantastic Flour Mix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been experimenting with using powdered eggwhites in my flour mixes instead of adding eggs later. I love it! the goods I "bake" in the microwave puff up so high and the grain of the flour is so lovely. The recipe that follows makes an absolutely enormous "one minute muffin" I love the texture and I love how easily I can change the flavours. So far today, I made a pumpkin one and a blueberry one. Delicious!

Basic flour mixture

2 Tbs Oatfiber
2 Tbs coconut flour (60)
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder (30)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder (22)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
1 Tbs erythritol (optional)
spices (optional--but is great with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon)

To this I add a mixture of davinci SF syrup and water or almond milk. My mixture is about 1/2 cup to start, but because of the coconut flour, more liquid may be necessary. Experiment with it.

The one I made for lunch had 2 TBS pumpkin added. The one this afternoon had 1/2 cup blueberries.

I made a topping from 2 TBS ff cream cheese mixed with a little vanilla davinci's

Let me know if you try this. I just loved the texture and how filling it is for so little in the way of calories.

buttoni 01-19-2013 05:34 PM

Teacup, I don't know about shelf like because 1) I store mine in the freezer 2) I've never had any go bad. I know it will last at least 2 years in the freezer from personal experience, because I've been low-carb baking with this stuff over 3 years and am just working on my second 4# bag of it, which I ordered months ago.

So yours is probably OK. If it smells kinda like flour with no rancid smell, It's likely still good.

slbbw 01-19-2013 06:11 PM

Mine has been stored at room temperature for over a year. No probs at all with Ouizoids Fantastic Flour Mix recipes! :)

Soobee 01-20-2013 03:37 AM

Same here, only stored longer. No problems.

tea cup 01-20-2013 11:53 AM

Thanks you guys

ravenrose 01-20-2013 02:12 PM

I put oat fiber into all "flour" type mixtures to some degree. It extends the other ingredients at 0 carb/0 calorie goodness! LOL

it is somewhat difficult to use, requiring a lot more liquid than other "flours" and resulting in a very weak, crumbly finished product if you use too much. it takes experimenting, but worth it.

sungoddess 01-20-2013 05:36 PM

I also use mine for all my flour mixes.The recommended shelf life is:

Shelf-Life: Oat Fiber will store for 1 year in a sealed 4 pound bag under ideal storage conditions (cool, dry place).
But I have kept mine much longer.:)

watcher513 01-21-2013 04:34 AM

Freezing would definitely help it last a lot longer.