Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
How much power do I need to make nut butters?

This isn't really a recipe question so I'm not sure where this goes.

I've read many horror stories about blenders and food processors blowing up because people tried to make nut butters in them and their machines weren't powerful enough to do it. I have a $40 food processor that we bought at Walmart; will it blow up if I try and make peanut butter in it?

I'd like to know what you guys would recommend (in terms of minimum wattage required, and recommended brand name/model number) that can easily handle the following tasks:

1. Make nut butters
2. Make nut flours from raw or roasted nuts
3. Chop ice for smoothies
4. Grind granulated sugar into powdered sugar
5. Grind wheat berries into wheat
6. Mix dough
7. Make smoothies using "tough" veggies like carrots, turnips, etc.

I am not willing to buy a vitamix because it costs $400. If I can find one used for $100 then maybe. What amount of wattage are we talking about here? Is it possible to find a blender for $100 or less than can easily perform the tasks listed above, or am I dreaming? lol

Thanks guys

Last edited by Seeking; 01-19-2013 at 04:45 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
The Nutri-Bullet (Magic Bullet's bigger sibling) may be in line with what you are looking for, though I'm not sure about the 'mix dough' requirement. You can go to their website and watch a video, perhaps contact them with questi0ns and, if it's what you want, purchase with 6 monthly payments of 20.00.
EllaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
LOL you want alot for $100. the only one at that price I know of would be a nutri bullet I think. And I don't know if it will do everything.

I have a vita-mix and it does all of those things easy. I wouldn't buy one for years because of the price. But now that I have one I kick myself in the bum for not getting it years ago.

Start googling to see what they have out there.

Healthmaster is $200. vitamix $400. Blendtec $500. They will pretty much do it all.

Good luck.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
LOL you want alot for $100.
I know, hehehe. But I'm probably living in a fantasy world.

Quote:
the only one at that price I know of would be a nutri bullet I think. And I don't know if it will do everything.
Ok, I fear that I may have to cave and get a *GASP* expensive one...but I'll very likely delay the purchase then until I can find a cheaper used one.

Quote:
I have a vita-mix and it does all of those things easy. I wouldn't buy one for years because of the price. But now that I have one I kick myself in the bum for not getting it years ago.
It sure would take a long time to break even on it. I wonder how long it would take to break even with a $400 blender by buying the nuts and making your own nut butters instead of buying the nut butters at the store, and by buying the wheat berries and making your own flour instead of buying the flour. Flour is cheap so the real cost savings would probably be in the nut butters. But the truth is, I don't really eat that much nut butter.

I suppose the value in it is the health benefits far more than the cost savings of making your own food from whole foods vs buying the end-product food. I can't justify a $400 purchase that way though; it's just too much.

Quote:
Start googling to see what they have out there.

Healthmaster is $200. vitamix $400. Blendtec $500. They will pretty much do it all.

Good luck.
I wonder if Ninja can do it. I'm gonna start shopping for used vitamix.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
You can check on their website. They have a lot of refurbished vita-mix 's that they sell for less. That's how Char bought her first one. A lot of friends have bought them at QVC for the 5 easy payment plan when they are on Todays Special value.

My girlfriend has a Healthmaster. Hers does everything mine does and she paid $200. for hers. I looked at her cookbooks she got with it and they are close to vitamix.

Put a question in the main lobby and ask who has a Nutri bullet and to tell you about theirs and what it does.

Hope that helps.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
in terms of ice, almost any blender does well as long as you can drop the ice into the mixture WHILE THE MOTOR IS RUNNING. making it start with icecubes jammed in the blades takes a LOT more power, and is unnecessary. that's why blenders have that small hole in the top of the lid.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/172 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
easy payment plan on QVC is the way I went-otherwise I could never have afforded my vitamix-I love it-and am glad I just went ahead and took the plunge-I loved my ninja too-but it just couldn't do what the vitamix does..check out qvc-you won't be sorry.
jbatchelor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Vitamix is the best, especially if you want to make lots of smoothies. It obliterates berry seeds. And yes, nut butters as well.
millergirl1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
I went to the QVC site. Which vitamix did you end up buying?
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote