Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Tagatose Recipes

I just received my order of Tagatose and thought how nice it would be to have a thread for Tagatose recipes. I'd start, but, I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping that those of you who have tried it will post any recipes. Thanks so much.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Caramel Sauce
! cup tagatose
3 Tbs. water
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 Tbs. butter
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Put water and tagatose in a bigger saucepan than you think you need. Stir it once or twice until dissolved. Try to clear crystals from the sides of the pan. Cover pan so the steam will wash the sides of the pan. When boiling nicely, uncover. Do not stir any more. You can swirl the pan if you need to. Cook until the desired darkness. I went until it was like an old penny. Next time I will stop at a new penny. Put in the cream. It will boil up furiously. At this time, I planned to cook it again to bring up the temperature, but it darkened so precipitously, I pulled it off the heat. Add in the rest of the ingredients.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
My first full recipe was using it for the Raspberry crumb coffeecake. I used half tagatose and half xylitol for the sweeteners -- very good!

Next I used it as a sweetener with Ouizoids fantastic flour mix to make cookies (recipe on that thread). Put chocolate chips in them and they browned up nicely and again had great flavor.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I got a free sample pound of tagatose about 7 or 8 years ago from Arla industries before they sold out. I never used it much in baking (precious ingredient) but instead always sprinkled it on my barbecued chicken just before broiling it. Normally the barbecue sauce wouldn't get that charred thing to it with any other alternative sweetener, but the tagatose made that happen. It's the only sweetener I have had that caramelizes and actually chars on a grill (gotta watch it, though, it'll burn easily)

Wonder if it will form a nice crunchy golden crust on creme brulee?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Baked Flossies tweak of Pecan Pie Chocolate muffins with 3/4 cup Tagatose 100% fabulous! Full bodied sweet flavor way back on my tongue. Ahhhhhhhsome.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
Baked Flossies tweak of Pecan Pie Chocolate muffins with 3/4 cup Tagatose 100% fabulous! Full bodied sweet flavor way back on my tongue. Ahhhhhhhsome.
Could you give us that recipe, please I've got to start using this. Keep em coming guys.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Here ya go: Post #33

http://http://www.lowcarbfriends.com...estions-2.html

Going back for second muffin, then freezer!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Lemon Snack Cake

I tweaked the coffee cake recipe that Ginaaaaa posted on the coffee cake thread. I skipped the cinnamon and added lemon juice. This turned out great---gourmet good! I went easy on the lemon juice because I didn't know how it would react with the Tagatose. The lemon flavor is light but very good. A person could add more if they wanted more of a lemon flavor. I think Tagatose would work well in making Toffee candy. That will be my next experiment.

Lemon Snack Cake

12 servings

Ingredients:

Topping:
1/4 cup Tagatose
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup ground almond (almond meal/almond flour)
1 teaspoon coconut flour

Cake:
1 cup ground almond (almond meal/almond flour)
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
1/2 cup half and half
3 TBLS Realtime Lemon Juice
3/4 cup Tagatose
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F.

Butter and flour (sifted coconut flour) an 8×8 square baking pan. You can also line with parchment if you do not want to butter/flour. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix all topping ingredients by hand or with a fork. It will all come together to form a kind of dough. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.

To make the cake:
In small bowl, combine ground almonds, coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine half and half, eggs, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk by hand until combined. Mix in Tagatose. Then mix in butter. Lastly add your almond flour mix and just stir until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly. Sprinkle your stopping mix on top and slightly press the topping chunks in to cake batter with your hands.

Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or until the cake springs back lightly when touched.

Nutritional information for 1 serving: Calories 156, Carbohydrates: 5.42 g, Sugars: 0.67 g, Fiber: 1.66 g Protein: 3.71 g, Fat: 14.75 g, Net carbs: 3.76 g

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-21-2013 at 06:39 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

redeemed: I notice that there is no sweetener listed in the cake ingredients, but in the directions, you refer to adding splenda to the cake batter. Can you tell us how much sweetener (equivalent) you use for this?

Cake:
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cup TBLS Realtime Lemon Juice
2 eggs
Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
redeemed: I notice that there is no sweetener listed in the cake ingredients, but in the directions, you refer to adding splenda to the cake batter. Can you tell us how much sweetener (equivalent) you use for this?

Cake:
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cup TBLS Realtime Lemon Juice
2 eggs
Thank you. That's correct. I am sleepy this morning! I'll see if I have time to edit the above. Okay, the recipe has been edited and is correct.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-21-2013 at 06:42 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Thank you. That's correct. I am sleepy this morning! I'll see if I have time to edit the above. Okay, the recipe has been edited and is correct.
Thanks! I'm going to make this--love lemon anything!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Is Taqgatose 1/1 Sugar to tagatose?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
I use it that way, however I've read that it's 93% as sweet as sugar. The recipes I have made are sweet enough for me. In fact, I was thinking of cutting back a little.

Edit: NuNaturals website says Tagatose is 92% as sweet as sugar.

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-21-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Redeemed. I'm gonna start baking. Will let you all know.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
I find that I need to use less tagatose than I would sugar, because it tastes so sweet to me. (Could be that my sweet tasters have changed though--I can't bear even a taste of sugar-sweetened things, they always taste so sickeningly sweet.) I would suggest adding less to begin with, then adjusting upwards to taste.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank Diana. I'll just taste as I go.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Flourless Clementine Cake

I just made this recipe posted on another thread by Sugar Free Sweet Pea. I substituted the sugar for Tagatose. I used two large Clementines for the fruit (which I nuked for only 5 minutes). I really like the fact that this cake recipe does not have any butter in it as I count calories, and am in OWL. The cake is in the oven now, and I'll post tomorrow how it turns out:

"Flourless Orange/Lemon Cake
I found this recipe on Martha-Rose-Shulman's website. It sounds very good. I just need to convert the sugar to sugar-twin, or something:

Quote:
Flourless Orange or Lemon Cake
Yields 1 9-1/2 or 10-inch cake

This recipe calls for a choice of 2 thin-skinned oranges, or 4-5 clementines, 350 g kumquats, or 3 lemons.
The lemons will add about 12 net carbs to the entire recipe and the oranges will add about 24 net carbs to the entire recipe. I have no idea about clementines or kumquats."

Your choice of the above listed fruit
1 1/2 cups ground almonds
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Scrub the fruit well. Place in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for 2 hours, checking every once in a while to make sure the water hasn’t boiled off too much. Drain and when cool enough to handle, cut the fruit in half carefully, and remove all of the seeds (otherwise the cake will be bitter).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour, or line with parchment, a 9-1/2- or 10-inch springform pan. Use matzo meal instead of flour if you are baking for Passover.

Put the fruit, skin and all, in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and puree. Measure out 1-1/4 cups.

Beat the eggs with the sugar and baking powder at medium-high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Add the ground almonds and mix well. Mix in the pulped orange at low speed, in two or three additions, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake for 1 hour, until firm and a knife comes out clean. If the top begins to get too brown halfway through, cover loosely with foil."

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-22-2013 at 03:48 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

The Clementine cake turned out very nice. I don't know if it's the Tagatose or the almond flour, but the cake is more like a bar. I forgot to take out the seeds, but did not get a bitter taste.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Caramel Sauce
! cup tagatose
3 Tbs. water
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 Tbs. butter
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Put water and tagatose in a bigger saucepan than you think you need. Stir it once or twice until dissolved. Try to clear crystals from the sides of the pan. Cover pan so the steam will wash the sides of the pan. When boiling nicely, uncover. Do not stir any more. You can swirl the pan if you need to. Cook until the desired darkness. I went until it was like an old penny. Next time I will stop at a new penny. Put in the cream. It will boil up furiously. At this time, I planned to cook it again to bring up the temperature, but it darkened so precipitously, I pulled it off the heat. Add in the rest of the ingredients.
I wonder if I could make this, then add nuts?? And get like glazed nuts. Perhaps add some maple extract or butterscotch extract??
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Has anyone tried using Tagatose in making preserves or jelly? Its taste and cooking characteristics should be perfect. If it carmelizes, won't it thicken?
I'm DEFINITELY doing this!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
boy--I just made Soobee's caramel recipe. To Die For!! Thanks soobee!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Isn't it great? I just made a third batch to make my layered flourless chocolate torte/caramel thingy. It's even good frozen. Too bad about that, because there's no stopping you from eating it. But we have company coming, and it has passed muster with high carbers.That tagatose is a real find.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
Has anyone tried using Tagatose in making preserves or jelly? Its taste and cooking characteristics should be perfect. If it carmelizes, won't it thicken?
I'm DEFINITELY doing this!
I made Peggy's (Buttoni) lemon curd from her blog. It was wonderful - the real deal. I also just made corn bread using tagatose and lupini flour. Don't know which thread to post that - all I can say is that was wonderful too!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Isn't it great? I just made a third batch to make my layered flourless chocolate torte/caramel thingy. It's even good frozen. Too bad about that, because there's no stopping you from eating it. But we have company coming, and it has passed muster with high carbers.That tagatose is a real find.
No stopping you--thats for damn sure. I won't be making it again soon. Some things are too good.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote