Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Kale-what to do with it?

I was going to make wedding soup, but the kids came over and we ended up eating all the meatballs I made to go into the soup! What else can I do with Kale? I haven't a clue, I have never used it before...thanks!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
I've never tried it but a friend of mine is always talking about making Kale Chips. You might Google that and see if it sounds good.
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Caramelize some yellow onion in bacon grease, add chopped, cleaned kale and water to cover and simmer for 30 minutes or so. Mmmm. I love kale. I can make a meal on it all by itself.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I make Kale chips in the dehydrator. You can also do it in the oven, although they need to be eaten right away whereas the ones from the dehydrator can store for a few days.
Directions: Clean & destem
Unless you're using baby kale, I like all my kale "massaged". It helps break up the fibers which makes the kale easier to chew, and helps with that "bitter" taste a lot of people object to.
When making kale chips, I destem, tear and coat with olive oil. I massage for about 5 minutes, which doubles as a great hand moisterizer in this awful winter weather.
Once coated & massaged, you can add your toppings. I like sea salt and Parmesan cheese. I've also done sea salt & fresh cracked pepper, cayenne, plain Parmesan.
I like my dehydrator, I layer the kale so they're 1 leaf thick on the trays and run at 145 for an hour. Then I turn down to 115 and run for another 2-3 hours until they're all crispy, and none are soggy anymore. They should be nice and crisp. You can eat directly off the dehydrator or store covered in the fridge for up to 3 days (maybe longer? Don't know, they never last that long in our house).
I've done them in the oven - the way that worked best for me was 400 degrees on the bottom rack for 10-15 minutes. I run it for 10 min then check every 5 until they're not soggy and done. REALLY easy to overdo and burn. Plus I've found that the oven ones are way more fragile and tend to crumble and make a mess. They're ok, dehydrator ones are GREAT!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
I've made kale chips - we did not like them. Blech.

I do love kale in an Olive Garden knockoff soup - Zuppa Toscana, I think. Recipes abound online for it, don't have mine nearby at the moment. Substitute for your potatoes as you like, though I still use them with limits for myself. Also make the one following (pic on my blog if you do search for soup):

Sausage & Kale Soup
(served 6 at our house)
1 ring Polska Kielbasa, sliced or diced
1 heaping gob of minced garlic, I mean Tbsp.
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 & 1/2 cups water
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes with jalapeno (10 oz. can, I think)
1/2 cup carrot, shredded or diced small
1/4-1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (14 oz. can, I think)
1 bunch kale, cut or torn into bite size chunks (I used an organic bunch that I'd bought several days before, about 3 cups worth. I also chose to cut the thick center vein out of each leaf.)

Heat large pot (I love my Dutch oven...) on high. Add sausage pieces and brown a bit. Toss in garlic, followed by the bouillon cubes and water, tomatoes, carrot, black pepper and beans. Simmer until carrots are tender, which will depend on size you cut (mine took about 10mns). Then add the kale and let simmer for about 5 mns more. Serve with crackers or a good crusty baguette.

*Note - the recipe for the soup should be adjusted, of course, as it was from my pre-low-carb days. Also, it was a bit on the salty side (I don't like salt too much so don't usually add it to recipes), so I would look at using a low-sodium broth next time. Was very good, though.
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
Oops, trying to delete this second posting.

Last edited by flossie73; 01-20-2013 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: How do you delete this second posting?!? Ooops! Sorry.
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
I make smoothies out of it. Don't use the ribs in center. They are great! Can't taste the kale at all. I now buy it frozen and just drop a little in the blender.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
I add kale to every soup I make. This last time I bought kale found I wasnt going to finish it and so I dehydrated it and it filled a large jar. I find sometimes I just want broth so I add maybe a quarter cup to the broth and microwave and it tastes just like fresh kale. Next time I will cut out the branches dum de dum dum. Gotta say I didnt like the kale chips.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
I tried making kale chips once before, blech. Tried again this week and yummy! This time I used a LOT of olive oil, both bottle then sprayed after laying them out on the sheet. Baked at 500 till they were browning and crispy. I made a half bag of'em and that's gone now. Sea Salt is the only spice I used.

Use in smoothies and cooked as other posters have already said.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Yennie--

Thanks for the detailed instructions on making kale chips. I've made them before in the oven and didn't like them at all.....they were too fragile. Now I'll give them a go in the dehydrator.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

You're quite welcome! I was on a kale chip kick a while back, absolutely DETERMINED to figure it out since they're so darn expensive to buy. As I said, the oven "worked" but not really. I got my dehydrator for $10 off Craigslist (I LOVE CL) and its paid for itself hundreds of times over in just kale chips. Even my 2 year old loves them. Course, this is the kid who will turn down chicken nuggets & fries to eat salad and broccoli so take that with a grain of salt.
What I haven't tried yet is trying chips with frozen kale. During the summer I grow it in my garden but now that its mid winter, I'm having a harder time finding it.
I truly believe massaging it and using enough oil are the keys to making them palatable.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Thank you everyone!! Love this board!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Yennie-

You said you were having a hard time finding kale now. I see you are in the PNW. Me too!!
I just got some at Whole Foods--large organic bunches on sale for $1.50. I can't afford most of their stuff, but sometimes they have good deals.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm a little too N and W - the closest ones are in Vancouver BC. There isn't much I want badly enough to drive in Vancouver (Worst. Traffic. Ever!) However, there are 2 lovely co-ops not too outrageously out of my way if I hit them going to or from work (a 50 mile drive, one way. Only 3 days a week, thankfully) so I'm hopeful if WF has it, the others may as well. If not, maybe I will hop the border...Canadians have better tea choices as well!!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: determinator
Yummm.... Kale chips.... use sea salt, but for another fave that's super easy... 1 tbs of olive oil in sautee pan, throw in the Kale, garlic powder (to taste, I use a TON), 1/4 yellow onion, or 1 tsp of onion powder, and my magic touch, a pinch of ground ginger, paprika and red pepper Just sautee until al dente (to the tooth, or tender, not smooshy), this works very well with squash, zuccinni and turnip greens... Also, if you like a tasty twist, splash on some apple cider vinegar to give it a zing!
determinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/13
I boil 2-4 cups beef broth, depending on how much you have, chop some salt pork, put it in the beef broth to boil for about 10 min, then put in my kale and cook another 10 minutes.

It's about the only way I can get my husband to eat it, he loves his veggies flavored like meat lol
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
This was in our paper yesterday:

Flat Belly Salad

6T EVOO or your fav oil
2T red wine vinegar
1 bunch of baby kale (however much that is!)
1 small head of red cabbage finely sliced
1 bell pepper (yellow would be pretty) diced
1 bunch of cilantro (I love cilantro!)
1 red onion diced
S/P to taste

Toss it all together well. Refrigerate at least an hour. The cook says it keeps in the fridge up to a week. I'm gathering stuff to make this this weekend
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote