Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
What to use in place of honey?

I am encountering a lot of recipes that look really good but they are calling for honey. Here's my dilemma, in order of importance:

1. I don't want the carbs/sugars from honey.
2. I don't want the flavor of honey in most foods I eat.
3. I don't want to spend the money to buy honey.

What should I use to replace the honey, and what quantity? I'm willing to use stevia but am worried about a bad aftertaste.

Last edited by Seeking; 01-18-2013 at 03:54 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I often make my own when I can't find it at my Walmart. Here's my tweak of Birgit Kerr's recipe (from Birgit's Daily Bytes):

IMITATION HONEY

1 tsp. honey
¼ c. erythritol
2 T. imitation honey make with xylitol (I use Nature's Hollow from Netrition)
1 pkt. stevia

Boil the above for 2-3 minutes in small saucepan. Remove from heat, cool and store in airtight container. It thickens up as it cools. If it crystalizes in your pantry over time, just warm open jar on DEFROST in your microwave to resoften or run warm water over the jar for a bit. I made up a larger batch and it has kept well, but it DID crystallize on me and I have to soften it when needed in a recipe.

Makes about 1/3 c. or 5 T. Each tablespoon has 12.6 calories, 1.24 carbs, .5 fiber and .74 net carbs
Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
You can get sugar free honey (obviously its not real honey, its honey flavored syrup with sugar alcohols) at many stores, I've seen it at Walgreens and Walmart. Its only about 3 dollars for a typical "honey bear" sized thing.

What recipes do you want to make? If you are just looking to sweeten things, there are many artificial sweetners available. If you need some of the syrupy properties of honey, you may need to use erythritol or some substitutes... if you want to ask us about specific recipes we might be able to help you better.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I love Birgett Kerr's recipe, too. Basically, you can melt down some combination of xylitol and erythritol until it is syrupy and golden and add a wee bit of real honey to the resulting syrup. I keep this in a jar on the counter at all times and use it for anything calling for honey. Doesn't need to be flavored or doctored, this works really well just as is.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I somtimes use sf sugar and water for honey in recipes. Here's what I go by. I usually use xylitol or erythritol or a mixture of them both and some Splenda or stevia. You could also use a homemade simple syrup, sf Da Vinci or Torani simple syrup.

Substituting Sugar for Honey

Step 1 of 4
The ratio of honey to sugar is 1 to 1.25. Therefore, 1 cup of honey in a recipe would need to be substituted for 1 and 1/4 cups of sugar.

Step 2 of 4
Along with the sugar, extra moisture would need to be added. For every cup of honey called for in a recipe, when substituting with sugar, an extra 1/4 cup of liquids should be added.

Step 3 of 4
Take the recipe and see how much honey is called for. Measure out the correct ratio of sugar to honey. See what liquids are being used, such as milk or water. Add the correct ratio of extra liquid to the recipe.

Step 4 of 4
Taste the mixture and see if it is sweet enough. If not, add more sugar and a touch more liquid. These ratios are just guidelines; your own taste buds will determine if the substitution is correct or not.

Tips & Warnings

Eliminate the baking soda in the recipe that calls for honey. Baking soda is used to take away the slight acidity form the honey and is unnecessary with the use of sugar.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
This is very helpful, Gina. Thanks.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I somtimes use sf sugar and water for honey in recipes. Here's what I go by. I usually use xylitol or erythritol or a mixture of them both and some Splenda or stevia. You could also use a homemade simple syrup, sf Da Vinci or Torani simple syrup.

Substituting Sugar for Honey

Step 1 of 4
The ratio of honey to sugar is 1 to 1.25. Therefore, 1 cup of honey in a recipe would need to be substituted for 1 and 1/4 cups of sugar.

Step 2 of 4
Along with the sugar, extra moisture would need to be added. For every cup of honey called for in a recipe, when substituting with sugar, an extra 1/4 cup of liquids should be added.

Step 3 of 4
Take the recipe and see how much honey is called for. Measure out the correct ratio of sugar to honey. See what liquids are being used, such as milk or water. Add the correct ratio of extra liquid to the recipe.

Step 4 of 4
Taste the mixture and see if it is sweet enough. If not, add more sugar and a touch more liquid. These ratios are just guidelines; your own taste buds will determine if the substitution is correct or not.

Tips & Warnings

Eliminate the baking soda in the recipe that calls for honey. Baking soda is used to take away the slight acidity form the honey and is unnecessary with the use of sugar.
Wow, that is really good advice. I'm going to print this out and add it to my recipe binder. Thanks!
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote