Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Montreal Crackers Favorite (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/794697-montreal-crackers-favorite.html)

Barbo 01-17-2013 12:43 PM

Montreal Crackers Favorite

I posted this last year. It remains my favorite LC Cracker

Montreal Almond/Flax Crackers

This recipe is a tweak of a friends recipe.

2 c. unblanched almond flour
1 c. golden flax meal
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. Montreal steak seasoning (3 tsp. spicy)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 extra large eggs beaten
2 Tbs. Extra Virgin olive oil.

Preheat to 350. Line an 11 x 17 inch baking pan.
Lay in parchment paper.

Place dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, mix well,
now add the beaten eggs and oil and mix thoroughly
with a fork..
Place dough on the parchment. Lay some plastic
wrap on top and press down until you get the dough
even as possible. I have a small roller that I use.
This is the most difficult part of an EZ recipe. Keep
going until you get to the edges. Score the crackers,
I got 48 or more. Take a fork and pierce them.

Bake about 15-20 minutes. Watch so not to over brown.
Let them cool and then break apart. Delicious and crisp

buttoni 01-17-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16202269)
I posted this last year. It remains my favorite LC Cracker

Montreal Almond/Flax Crackers

This recipe is a tweak of a friends recipe.

(raises her hand) Guilty as charged. I did it. :) http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-crackers.html I've made your Montreal version several times now and I DO like them. I leave out the black pepper when I do, as Montreal has enough in it already, I think.

I just made a batch of my pepper version last week and finished them off with my soup at lunch today! It amazes me how good they are with nothing but butter on them. I just LOVE these crackers, too, Barbo.

rosethorns 01-17-2013 01:15 PM

They sound wonderful . I just can't eat flax.

Barbo 01-17-2013 03:33 PM

So Sorry

I wish I could think of a substitute for you.

We just served ham salad on these crackers.
Delish...

CreekWatcher 01-18-2013 08:04 PM

I don't like flax as the main ingredient in anything besides hot cereal, but it's a great supporting ingredient, and these sound really good.

As a alternative to rolling them out, I expect that Linda's method of forming little balls then pressing them with the bottom of a baking powder can (plastic wrap or wax paper in between) would work also.

rosethorns 01-19-2013 05:43 AM

Ok Miss Barbo I loved your idea so much that I wanted some so I took Ouizoid tortilla recipe and made crackers with montreal seasoning on them. Yum.
Major goood.

Cablegriz 01-19-2013 06:33 AM

Thank you! Going to make some today!

sya_unit 01-19-2013 08:45 AM

I am going to try these. I love montreal steak seasoning. I hope that I do it right. Thanks BARBO, you always have great suggestions.

sya_unit 01-19-2013 09:42 AM

Oh, they smell lovely! My husband came out looking for steak! LOL And almost cried when he saw low carb crackers cooling. I made the spicy version. They are fantastic. I cooked them 17 minutes and made sure my over was 350 before I put them in. I'm going to use them with lunch and then put them in a zip lock. Spicy crackers.

Cablegriz 01-19-2013 10:25 AM

Question. Where do you all get your almond flour or do you make your own? It's almost 10$ a bag from netriton where I got mine last.

rosethorns 01-19-2013 10:46 AM

Trader Joes for unblanched almond flour. Honeyville grain for blanched almond flour.

tstarre 01-22-2013 08:11 AM

O I like the idea of little balls of dough as I hate rolling. do you use tsp, tbls anyone make them this way?

lonestarstamper 01-22-2013 10:35 AM

To Barbo....do you have the carb count for these? I want to try these....I bought some low carb crackers at a local store, but just wasted my money. Did not like the flavor at all, so am still looking for a cracker to use for dips or for spreads, meat salads, etc. Thanks

CreekWatcher 01-23-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarre (Post 16212031)
O I like the idea of little balls of dough as I hate rolling. do you use tsp, tbls anyone make them this way?

I haven't made these yet, and when making Linda's zesty cheddar wafers, I make them a good deal bigger than she reccomends ( I use a gram scale and weigh each one roughly). I don't know how to figure out what measure you would use with this recipe in order to end up with about 48--would be curious to know if anyone else does. (The smallest cookie scoop I have is two teaspoons.)

tstarre 01-24-2013 02:17 PM

do you use the can because thats what gives you the right thickness?

CreekWatcher 01-24-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarre (Post 16217211)
do you use the can because thats what gives you the right thickness?

Yes--given my skill level, it seems like a better bet for even thickness (and more convenient as well).

tstarre 01-25-2013 06:44 AM

thanks for answering...I'm with you on the rolling out stuff skill level. I never want to make crackers cause of it and I LOVE crunchy crackers. Its one of the things I miss most not eating grains