Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   LC chocolate cupcakes for the win! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/794558-lc-chocolate-cupcakes-win.html)

LiterateGriffin 01-15-2013 05:03 PM

LC chocolate cupcakes for the win!

My son's birthday was Saturday. So Monday, he brought in treats for his class. He'd previously requested that his birthday treat be gluten-free, as one of his friends can't have gluten. OK, fair enough!

So I made some gluten-free, nut-free chocolate (Ghiradelli) cupcakes, with chocolate frosting... And, apparently, the comments going around the classroom were along the lines of, "These are the best cupcakes I've ever tasted!"

(And since I know I can't type that without providing the recipe, here it is!)

Ingredients
  • 4 eggs
  • Sweetener, equiv to ½ cup sugar (I used stevia, with a touch of honey, since it was for school-kids… When I do it for me, I’ll just use stevia)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder (The best you can get – we use Ghiradelli)
  • ¼ Cup coconut flour
  • ¼ Cup coconut oil, softened
  • ¼ Cup water
  • ½ TBS apple cider vinegar
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Add eggs, sweetener, and vanilla to mixing bowl. Blend well.
  3. Add baking powder, cocoa, and flour, stirring well.
  4. Add oil, water, vinegar.
  5. Pour batter evenly into cupcake/muffin pan. If not using paper liners, grease pan well.
  6. Bake on 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until tooth comes out clean in center of cupcake

Nutrition Facts
User Entered Recipe

6 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 159.8

Total Fat 13.4 g
Saturated Fat 9.1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.0 g

Cholesterol 123.3 mg
Sodium 128.9 mg
Potassium 105.9 mg

Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
Sugars 0.3 g

Protein 5.5 g
Vitamin A 4.0 %
Vitamin B-12 5.3 %
Vitamin B-6 2.9 %
Vitamin C 0.0 %
Vitamin D 6.7 %
Vitamin E 0.2 %
Calcium 6.3 %
Copper 6.9 %
Folate 4.3 %
Iron 5.9 %
Magnesium 4.6 %
Manganese 7.1 %
Niacin 0.4 %
Pantothenic Acid 0.1 %
Phosphorus 11.0 %
Riboflavin 7.3 %
Selenium 0.7 %
Thiamin 0.2 %
Zinc 4.3 %

And the frosting (not included in the nutrition-label) was just a melted stick of butter stirred in with a cup of the cocoa, and enough sweetener to make it taste good. :) Pour it on while it's still all melted and runny, and let it cool -- comes out all pretty and smooth, like a commercially-frosted cake, but tastes WAY better! ;)

Arctic_Mama 01-15-2013 05:05 PM

Mmmmm! Those do sound lovely!

dawnyama 01-15-2013 05:10 PM

Oh, yum!! Just might make these for my son's birthday this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

LiterateGriffin 01-15-2013 05:27 PM

What "got" me was a class full of school-kids going crazy for 'em! It's not like they're overly sweet!

lonestarstamper 01-15-2013 05:44 PM

do you use a powdered stevia or a liguid? Can you recommend a good brand?

LiterateGriffin 01-15-2013 05:59 PM

Lonestar, my stevia is from Trader Joe's, 100% pure powdered stevia. It comes with a little spoon to measure out a "teaspoon-worth" -- the spoon is around the size of a split-pea. I bought this bottle a year ago for $13, and it's still mostly full, so I call that a good investment. :)

I make sure it's 100% stevia, because the "diluted" ones -- that make it easier to handle and measure -- tend to use things like maltodextrin or dextrose to dilute it... things I avoid (because they're SUGARS). I've found that the key to handling the pure powder is to put it in FIRST, and mix the dry ingredients well. OR, put it in the bowl where you measure the liquid ingredients, before you put them in. This helps it get evenly distributed thru your recipe.

I was looking at a jar of... I think it was Truvia? at the store the other day, and considered buying it, as it looked "very good" -- as I recall, it was stevia + erythritol, or something like that. But I really couldn't justify it when my bottle is still more than half full. :) Maybe in another year or so I'll try it.

rosethorns 01-15-2013 06:40 PM

THEY SOUND AMAZING!!!!

Mistizoom 01-15-2013 08:36 PM

Definitely sounds like a winner, I am tempted to make some right now!

Amypete19 01-16-2013 08:11 AM

I get so confused with all of the sweeteners out there. I will go right to Trader Joes for this since you described it so well. Do you also get the coconut flour and oil there???? Not sure I've seen them at my Market Basket in the NE.

Low Carb Librarian 01-16-2013 11:59 AM

Mmmmmm!

rosethorns 01-16-2013 12:07 PM

Send Soobee a pm and ask her where she gets her coconut flour. Most trader Joes have different products in different stores. I'm sure she won't mind. And I'm pretty sure she is in Mass.

I hope that helps Amy.

CarolynF 01-16-2013 01:05 PM

I'm making these this afternoon..Will use butter instead of the coconut oil..:)

I always spray the muffin papers, too..Just a FYI..

Soobee 01-16-2013 02:07 PM

I order online. I've gotten coconut flour from Netrition and from Honeyville. I get coconut oil in Costco and they have more than one kind in Walmart in different parts of the store.

CarolynF 01-16-2013 04:06 PM

Very good...:) For the "frosting" I melted some SF chips with a little butter..It was more a glaze than frosting, but very nice..

Thanks for the great recipe..

buttoni 01-16-2013 06:04 PM

They sure do sound good. Printing it right now. Thanks!

Smiles 05-20-2013 08:33 AM

I am so all over these! Thanks for the recipe. :hugs:

Tracy

1annewil 05-20-2013 10:04 AM

This looks very good. I plan on trying them. Thanks
I LOL'ed over this statement

"Bake on 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until tooth comes out clean in center of cupcake "

Mistizoom 05-20-2013 11:26 AM

Thanks for bumping, I have been looking for a chocolate cupcake recipe and forgot about these.

Barbo 05-20-2013 03:52 PM

Hi,
I curious because there is only 1/2 c. total of dry (flour & cocoa) ingredients,
how many cupcakes do I expect from this batter?

ladeeda 05-20-2013 04:19 PM

Recipe says 6 servings...so I'm thinking...six. (small touch of sarcasm...won't my face be red if I'm wrong)

Mistizoom 05-20-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladeeda (Post 16432916)
Recipe says 6 servings...so I'm thinking...six. (small touch of sarcasm...won't my face be red if I'm wrong)

LOL...I have these in the oven right now. I got 8. But they aren't huge.

Smiles 05-20-2013 06:01 PM

I'm so making these. Maybe even later tonight. :jumpjoy: I'm so excited that I have the ingredients.

Question ladies:

1) How could I make these into vanilla cupcakes (yellow cake)? I know I'd omit the cocoa powder. What would I add that would preserve the texture, but provide the yellow cake flavor?

2) Anyone try filling these with either fruit or pb?

Tracy

Mistizoom 05-20-2013 06:02 PM

And here they are:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps2925b58e.jpg

It made 8 small cupcakes. I only baked for 20 minutes. They empty silicone liner is from the one I ate hot out of the oven. :yummy: I used EZ-Sweetz before I remember you are not supposed to use sucralose alone to sweeten chocolate. But it worked for me. YMMV.

Mistizoom 05-20-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles (Post 16433058)
I'm so making these. Maybe even later tonight. :jumpjoy: I'm so excited that I have the ingredients.

Question ladies:

1) How could I make these into vanilla cupcakes (yellow cake)? I know I'd omit the cocoa powder. What would I add that would preserve the texture, but provide the yellow cake flavor?

2) Anyone try filling these with either fruit or pb?

Tracy

Completely different recipe but in the Fantastic Flour Mix thread there is an awesome yellow cake recipe that makes great cupcakes. Some of the ingredients are a bit more specialized than this recipe though.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16273406

Smiles 05-20-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16433071)
Completely different recipe but in the Fantastic Flour Mix thread there is an awesome yellow cake recipe that makes great cupcakes. Some of the ingredients are a bit more specialized than this recipe though.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16273406

Thank you very much :) As long as the recipe is wheat-free, I can do that.

Tracy

KellBell1234 05-20-2013 08:45 PM

Yum! These sound easy and delicious! I can't wait to try this recipe!

Barbo 05-20-2013 09:13 PM

Thanks

They look scrumptious.