Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   I have round steak, how should I cook it? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/794521-i-have-round-steak-how-should-i-cook.html)

spoiltmomof2 01-15-2013 08:07 AM

I have round steak, how should I cook it?

I know round steak can be tough. What are some good low carb ways to cook it?

Dottie 01-15-2013 08:10 AM

Stewing round steak usually works pretty well. How thick is it? You can always chunk it up and simmer it with some onion and broth for a couple of hours, then remove the meat and reduce the liquids, add a little cream and have a creamy onion sauce with it :)

Jaded62 01-15-2013 10:06 AM

I make it like this.I line the bottom of a broiler pan with foil or you could use a deep baking sheet pan with deep sides.Put in steak,add salt and papper or any other spice you like.I add one can of drained mushrooms then I put one lc can of cream of mushroom soup over the steak.Spread it all over the steak.Put foil on top ,seal tight.Cook on 350 for 45 minutes.It should be tender and juicey.HTH.

LadyN 01-15-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16196716)
Stewing round steak usually works pretty well. How thick is it? You can always chunk it up and simmer it with some onion and broth for a couple of hours, then remove the meat and reduce the liquids, add a little cream and have a creamy onion sauce with it :)

This is how I would make it. I am unable to have dairy now, but this still works without the cream. YUM!!!

Pam 01-15-2013 12:49 PM

I've made mine in the crock pot with canned stewed tomatoes. Once the meat is cooked, I add a brown gravy packet to thicken the juices. I serve it with mashed cauliflower.

jandjsmom 01-16-2013 05:52 AM

I season with garlic salt and pepper. Brown both sides and then cover meat with worsteshire. Add a stick of butter and 2 cups water to pan. Bring to a boil, turn down to low and cover. Allow to simmer about 2-3 hours. Keep checking that there is plenty of liquid in pan.
This is total comfort food for me. My mom always made this and served with rice. Now I eat it with cauli-rice in a bowl with lots of the beefy juice!!

rosethorns 01-16-2013 06:03 AM

I use it for stew meat in the crockpotwith onion garlic and low carb veggies.

Brendajm 01-16-2013 06:36 AM

How about a london broil? I have on unthawing today and now I am wondering how to cook it since I cant use the grill..

Amypete19 01-16-2013 06:58 AM

Love these ideas - I took out a big piece of I think it said Petite Sirloin something. Frozen like a brick so I left it on the counter. When I get home I was thinking of slicing and sauteing in some butter and spices to throw over salad...

SkeeterN 01-16-2013 02:19 PM

Pepper Steak

2 pounds round steak
1 medium bell pepper -- chopped
3 stalks celery
1 small onion
16 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 cup sugar free ketchup

Chop onion, bell pepper, celery and put in a bowl

Cut round steak into pieces (about a serving size) and brown well in just enough olive oil to not stick. Scrape drippings into baking dish.

Sprinkle all veges over the top of the steak

blend tomato sauce with ketchup and pour over steak.

Salt and pepper to taste
bake at 350 till tender

If I have carbquik you can bread the meat with this before browning but it turned out ok without it.

Make mock mashed potato's and serve with the pepper steak gravy over the top.

ChristineCQ 01-16-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 16198797)
How about a london broil? I have on unthawing today and now I am wondering how to cook it since I cant use the grill..

I'd use the broiler, personally. With these tougher cuts, don't forget about the power of marinating! I use olive oil, mayo, ACV, lemon juice, spices/seasonings of choice (usually salt and pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne).

millergirl1976 01-16-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amypete19 (Post 16198860)
Love these ideas - I took out a big piece of I think it said Petite Sirloin something. Frozen like a brick so I left it on the counter. When I get home I was thinking of slicing and sauteing in some butter and spices to throw over salad...

If you just quick saute it, I think it will be really tough...

buttoni 01-16-2013 02:55 PM

I do sorta what SkeeterN does for my Swiss Steak recipe, but I use whole tomatoes rather than sauce, and a put 1/4 c. wine (red or white) in mine in lieu of the ketchup. Just call me your friendly Kitchen lush. LOL

BellaRose 01-18-2013 01:31 AM

Round Steak

Needs to cook for awhile or
will be tough. I make Swiss Steak
different ways, in either a dutch oven
(big pot with lid) or a crock pot.
Turns out tender.:yummy:

Artem 01-22-2013 08:39 AM

1. Cook it till only medium rare OR
2. Really take time and braise it for a good few hours.

Whatever way to pick depends on you!

I personally prefer some sort of topping on my steaks. It can be anything from basil pesto to...my nut & honey mix.

Good luck :)