Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low carb waffle recipe (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/794470-low-carb-waffle-recipe.html)

Avy 01-14-2013 09:57 PM

Low carb waffle recipe

I'm looking for a low carb waffle recipe, one that will crisp up when cooked, and without almond flour... I simply refuse to pay the price for it. Otherwise, I have lots of ingredients available to whip some up. Tried an awesome flour recipe from these forums, but they never crisped anywhere like a normal waffle.

That Girl 01-14-2013 11:36 PM

I don't know if you have a Trader Joes nearby, but I just paid $3.99 for a pound of it..already ground up, ready to go...hth

I just noticed you are in BC, I don't think they are located there....sorry!

buttoni 01-15-2013 03:24 PM

Pork Rind French Toast Cakes

This batter doesn't use almond flour, is pretty crisp on the surface and can be made as waffles as well as pancakes. It probably only makes 2 waffles, however. So you might want to double the recipe if you need more than that. I have 4 other pancake recipes on my website that don't use almond flour you should perhaps check out sometime, but they're not as "crispy" as this one when cooked as waffles.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...nbutt/0091.jpg
This is a slight variation on the YOU WON’T BELIEVE IT’S FRENCH TOAST recipe floating around on the web. This is the particular recipe that was my inspiration: Low Carb Luxury: Recipe - You Won't Believe it's not French Toast. We like it even better than the original recipe. These really do taste a lot like traditional French toast; just don’t look like traditional French toast. This recipe is Induction friendly. Another low carber on the Atkins Community Forums who tried these said to me: “They really are good and by the way I did refrigerate 2 and ate them later on while at work…no funny pork rind taste at all they were still DELISH!!!” So you working people can make extras and save for another day. Bear in mind, if you like a sweeter pancake, you can add a few drops of liquid sweetener to this batter, but we find the syrup on top does the trick for us. Your call on that one. :)

INGREDIENTS:

1 oz. pork rinds, crushed
2 T. golden flax meal
2 eggs, beaten
c. cream
tsp. vanilla
tsp. cinnamon
2 T. water

DIRECTIONS: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and let it set for about 2-3 minutes and get thick. Making 4 “french toasts”, dip the batter onto an oiled, hot griddle, pancake style, forming into roundish “cakes” with the back of a spoon. Brown on first side and flip. When both sides nicely browned, serve with your favorite low-carb syrup (I use Cary’s) and breakfast meat.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 french toast cakes , each contains:

141 calories
9.5 g fat
2.8 g carbs, 1.0 g fiber, 1.8 NET CARBS
10.8 g protein
278 mg sodium
18% RDA Vitamin B12, 10% iron, 14% phosphorous, 16% riboflavin, 29% selenium

Avy 01-15-2013 08:50 PM

Thank you! I'll have to go out and find pork rinds, they're not very popular in Canada, at least not here. But I've bought them before. I might try this on the weekend.

Oh, and the portions are perfect, I used a recipe on these forums to make 2 waffles, and didn't end up eating all of the second one.

Mistizoom 01-15-2013 08:55 PM

I've been looking for a low carb pancake and waffle recipe my son will like, I am going to give these a try! Thanks.

Avy 01-15-2013 08:55 PM

I have a health food store, or more than one, as well as a few grocery stores that carry many different types of flours etc, but I've never seen almond flour less than 14$ ++ a bag, and it's not a big bag. No Trader Joes, and the closest Whole Foods is in Vancouver, so not worth taking a ferry to go shopping. I've also never seen it online for a reasonable price, certainly not $3.99!

Avy 01-15-2013 08:56 PM

I also have a great protein powder recipe somewhere, I never thought to give that a try too.

Avy 01-15-2013 09:01 PM

1 Scoop protein powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 tsp oil
1 tbsp sugar free syrup
2 tbsp of water

Amypete19 01-16-2013 08:08 AM

Wow - I'm going to try that one!!!!! Pork rinds are always on sale here! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Avy - I like your post 'flirting with onderland' I've been doing that for a year now. I miss the ones :)))

buttoni 01-16-2013 06:44 PM

Hope you ladies like these. Let me know by posting back your reactions here.

SherBel 01-16-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avy (Post 16198292)
I have a health food store, or more than one, as well as a few grocery stores that carry many different types of flours etc, but I've never seen almond flour less than 14$ ++ a bag, and it's not a big bag. No Trader Joes, and the closest Whole Foods is in Vancouver, so not worth taking a ferry to go shopping. I've also never seen it online for a reasonable price, certainly not $3.99!

I buy it at the Superstore. 5 bucks a bag. Even cheaper at Costco.

Avy 01-17-2013 08:46 PM

Really? I live in Nanaimo, and I've never seen it at all. Where in the store do you find it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherBel (Post 16200496)
I buy it at the Superstore. 5 bucks a bag. Even cheaper at Costco.