Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sharkbait
WOE: Ketonic
Start Date: Jan 2013
Veggie Help

I have finally convinced my wife to go low carb but the problem is she point blank refuses to eat veggies... in fact the only veggie she eats is potato... any tips to help me would be appreciated
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Try boiled, baked or fried radishes instead of potatoes
Same with turnips and rutabagas.
Search for "mashed + cauliflower" and you'll find a bunch of variations.
No, none of these are potatoes, but the texture may be something she'll enjoy in place of them
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
I think a lot depends on how willing she is to try new things. Some people just have an aversion to what they perceive as 'different' or out of their norm. If that is the case, you will have an uphill battle trying to convince her to eat ANY veggies.

So...I guess the question is: is it the taste or the texture. Once you determine which one trumps the other, you can steer away from certain things. Dottie is right in that there are plenty of 'stand-ins' for something like potatoes, but unfortunately the fact of the matter is, they are NOT potatoes and sometimes mainstream expectations are that you can take cauliflower and make it taste exactly like potatoes. So imagine their surprise when they taste the fauxtatoes and...wait for it...it tastes like mashed up cauliflower! Or when someone decides that spaghetti squash is a fabulous stand in for regular pasta...uhh...NO!

If she'll eat salads, that would be a good way to get some veggies in. And of course, there is always the old parenting trick: smother everything in cheese. If you're really creative, you could probably pick up a few books at the library about how to disguise veggies in other foods. Although directed primarily at fooling children, it may work in your case.

Look...I happen to love veggies (and was a vegetarian for 7 years way back when), but unless someone is willing to at least "try" new things, they'll just continue to be resistant and you'll just continue to be frustrated. Sorry...I don't mean to oversimplify the situation, but by the time you become an adult you pretty much like what you like.

I do wish you good luck and hope that others will stop by and have other suggestions.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Oh! Try roasting things like broccoli, cauliflower, brussles sprouts, okra (surprisingly good!), green beans, cabbage, asparagus, etc.
Just toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, lay out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake around 400f until they're cooked as you like.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Adding cheese or cheese sauce to veggies like broccoli and cauliflower makes them taste better.

Try creamed cabbage--it tastes a lot different than fried or roasted cabbage.

Maybe homemade v-8 juice...that will get the veggies in if she is willing to drink it.

I used to think I didn't like broccoli until one day my brother took me to a restaurant and convinced me to try it (with the cheese sauce on it) and I loved it.

Also, with veggies, make sure they aren't overcooked. They taste so much better and are better for you if they are on the al dente side.

For yellow squash, I just put slices in a microwave glass bowl and put some butter and Mrs. Dash Original on it and cover it with wax paper and nuke about 3-5 minutes, depending on how many squash I use. It's so much better than the kind we find in many restaurants.

And like RV Cook said, if she is willing to try them.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I was just reading a recipe for beef stew with carrots and turnips (no potatoes)... I wonder if something like that would be appealing?
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
My daughter has a man that didn't like veggies either except corn. She got tired of not having different vegetables and started cooking some just for her and gave him his corn. After awhile what she had made smelled good and he would try a bite off her plate. I'm not saying he now loves all veggies, but there are quite a few that he will eat now. The one that comes to mind is broccoli with cheese. So cook what you like and maybe she will eventually give them a try......................... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
A really good one put her veggies in a smoothie. You can use kale, spinach, lettuce, anything that will mix in a protein shake. Good luck.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I hope your wife realizes that she ruins any good of eating low carb if she is adding potatoes to the plan!

Would she be open to having somehting like meatloaf or meatballs made with purreed cooked veggies (onion, cauliflower, garlic) mixed in?

Does she like tomato sauce? Pickles? Avocado? Salsa? Olives? Onions/peppers on pizza? She probably eats some sorts of veggies if she thinks about it.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sharkbait
WOE: Ketonic
Start Date: Jan 2013
thanks for all the tips!! semi-result... i got her to eat about 2 table spoons of cauli mash... so it's a start...
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
DH doesn't much like vegetables, either. But he will eat spaghetti sauce that is filled with grated carrots, finely diced peppers and onions, and sliced mushrooms. Saute the minced veggies well first to develop the rich, caramelized flavor. It all blends in with the ground beef and he has no idea all that is in there. this also works with meat loaf and lasagne.

He will also eat veggies that are marinated and grilled on the outdoor grill or indoor cast-iron grill pan, along with meat--shrimp, chicken, or steak.

Oddly, he became envious of my mashed cauliflower (steamed first with milk or cream, to neutralize the cauliflower taste). I puree it very well with plenty of cream, sour cream, salt & pepper and add a couple of teaspoons of instant mashed potato flakes, which really helps create a good texture. I just gave him his old regular mashed potatoes or a baked potato, but he kept wanting to taste mine. Now he prefers the cauliflower version!

Even though we're both WELL over half a century old (LOL), and he is quite resistant to change, he has gradually come to accept more veggies. Just make it slow and subtle.

Last edited by dianafoot; 01-18-2013 at 07:26 AM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin
Hi, I agree with Ann Lytle. My kids didn't eat anything but canned corn and green beans. I got tired of only having those so I started making what I liked and they eventually tried them and now they eat quite a few.
Wishin is offline   Reply With Quote