Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   The Joy of Cooking cookbook -- lowcarb in disguise? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/794409-joy-cooking-cookbook-lowcarb-disguise.html)

nomorepepsi 01-14-2013 05:34 AM

The Joy of Cooking cookbook -- lowcarb in disguise?

Hi,

Any of you familiar with the Joy of Cooking cookbook, especially the one that came out in the 1970s... it was written by Marion Rombauer Becker... even though there lots of bread, cookies, and cake recipes in the book, I love the fact that Becker uses real butter and cream in many of her dishes... the recipes are versatile enough to make low-carb, or are low-carb as is... what's your opinion of this wonderful big book?

Behlor

Lokarbiebarbie 01-14-2013 05:42 AM

Almost all my French based recipes cookbooks do the same. It's what made lowcarb not such a 'chore' when I went with this way of eating.

RVcook 01-14-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorepepsi (Post 16193846)
Hi,

Any of you familiar with the Joy of Cooking cookbook, especially the one that came out in the 1970s... it was written by Marion Rombauer Becker... even though there lots of bread, cookies, and cake recipes in the book, I love the fact that Becker uses real butter and cream in many of her dishes... the recipes are versatile enough to make low-carb, or are low-carb as is... what's your opinion of this wonderful big book?

Behlor

I was a young wife in the 70's and found many of my vegetarian books utilized that same school of thought while mainstream was simultaneously embracing "eggs are bad" and "no coconut oil for popping corn". Yes...it was a crazy time for food, that's for sure.

The Joy Of Cooking is a classic and as such, there is LOTS of wisdom about REAL food contained in the pages. My cooking style has undergone many, many changes, but has also evolved to the point that I have come full circle in part, due to learning from the classics such as the Joy Of Cooking. Great book IMHO!

Janknitz 01-14-2013 09:37 AM

We tend to think of "ancestral health" as "caveman diet", but as recently as my grandmother our an estrous had the wisdom of traditional, healthy diets that included plenty of meat (including offal), fish, eggs, full fat dairy, saturated fat, and very little sugar.

That's ancestral health to me. The 1970's Joy reflected that (that was my mom's edition, sadly it fell apart!). But the world was starting to embrace the lipid theory around that time so many people put aside their Joy for modern low fat, whole grain, vegetarian fare. And look where it has gotten us!

girondet 01-14-2013 10:36 AM

Yes. I still have my Joy. I wish I had not embraced the low fat dogma for sure. When I ate the way my parents cooked I never had more than 5-10 lbs to lose and that was vanity weight, so I could look like a model.

My problems began with packaged and convenience foods, fast food, lack of a meal and snack structure plan and then trying to lose the weight gained from all that recreational eating by dieting with low fat plans.

nomorepepsi 01-14-2013 10:44 AM

You got that right, unfortunately... I see the results in my neighborhood... the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans here live on rice, beans, and sugary desserts, and rarely eat veggies... the result is type-2 diabetes... their way of eating is now the Western way of eating... I hate to see the healthcare costs in the future... Behlor

Speck333 01-14-2013 11:18 AM

That's just how people ate before they decided they were too smart for mother nature and it was better to industrialize our food. lol
I have a copy of Joy of Cooking from maybe 10 or so years ago. I love it. Come back to it all the time. I have a Better Homes and Garden "classic" edition from the 1960's that is just fabulous. Aspic anyone?

rosethorns 01-14-2013 12:11 PM

I love my Joy of Cooking cookbook. Mine is also the 1970's one. Mine is also falling apart. I jast made a cover for it.

dianafoot 01-14-2013 02:30 PM

Love those old, real food cookbooks. I have a very old Fanny Farmer cookbook that my boyfriend gave me (hint, hint) in 1968 when he asked me to marry him. I ditched him pretty quick, but that book continues to be a life partner!

RVcook 01-14-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16195191)
Love those old, real food cookbooks. I have a very old Fanny Farmer cookbook that my boyfriend gave me (hint, hint) in 1968 when he asked me to marry him. I ditched him pretty quick, but that book continues to be a life partner!

Great story!

Old cookbooks have a life all their own. I enjoy all my old ones; a 1951 copy of Betty Crocker, my mom's original 1953 copy of Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook and my g-aunt's 1954 copy of The Settlement Cookbook. I love seeing all the notes lovingly made in the margins like a personalized history of beloved (or despised) recipes.

These are the recipes that raised and nurtured generations of men and women during a time when obesity was rare. Listening to all the low-fat dogma that continues today, one would have to wonder: how did our parents and grandparents survive with all that butter and cream and bacon...:laugh: Good grief!

Dutzie 01-14-2013 05:16 PM

If you want a new one, Jaques Pepin's 'Essential Pepin' has lots of low carb or could be low carb recipes. Of course, he has the regular breads, pastries, etc. but desserts that are okay w/changes also.

nomorepepsi 01-15-2013 02:57 AM

I love the French cookbooks, especially the ones by the masters like Julia Child and Jacques Pepin... now you see why the French are (or were) so skinny... it's too bad that they, like each other freaking culture in the world, have been taken over by McDonald's... Behlor

ravenrose 01-15-2013 10:20 AM

I have a very old Joy of Cooking that belonged to my mother when she was a newlywed around 1950. It's MUCH better in terms of ideas using fat. I suspect the versions of Joy get lower and lower fat depending on how recent they are. In fact, many of the older cookbooks are good. You just have to watch for the "can of mushroom soup casseroles topped with a can of french fried onions" type stuff! LOL

of course, just because these recipes use fat does not mean they don't use carbs too! remember that the combination of high fat and carbs is very unhealthy. if the average person had to choose one or the other, they would choose to ditch the fat. Obviously. look in our grocery stores.

PaminKY 01-17-2013 12:50 PM

I read one of Julia Child's books a while back, I think it was "My Life in France", and she mentioned that at one point, I think it was in the 50's or 60's, when her husband started picking up a few extra pounds that he cut back on carbs to get his weight back down. I can't remember the exact wording but it was clear that she meant carbs.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 01-18-2013 12:44 PM

I've got the Joy of Cooking. Got is from my wedding in 1970. Still use it frequently

piratejenny 01-18-2013 02:23 PM

I love that The Joy of Cooking tells you how to skin a squirrel!!! :laugh:

Seriously, though, I consult it for techniques & information at least as often as I consult it for recipes. It really tells you *how* to cook, not just *what* to cook.

Love it, love it, love it, and getting my own copy after moving out of my parents' home was an important rite of passage.