Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
braised chicken with almonds

Just ran across this on the Food Network and although not labeled as low carb, it fills the bill nicely. The secret is in using toasted almond flour to thicken the sauce:

Braised Chicken with Mushrooms and Almonds Recipe : Anne Burrell : Recipes : Food Network

I followed the recipe almost exactly, only subbing chicken breasts for half the meat, since DH does not like dark meat. This was a very easy recipe,

I rewrote it for myself:
  • Brown 4 chicken pieces (any combo of thighs and breasts, skin on) in a little bacon fat
  • When the chicken is golden on all sides, pull it out and saute some mushrooms, onions and garlic in the pot. I used 10 oz of mushrooms, a large onion, and 5 cloves of garlic.
  • Add back the chicken pieces and pour in about 3 cups of broth and wine mix (bring it to a boil first so you don't shock the chicken pieces and make them tough). Do not cover the chicken with the broth, only add enough to come up about halfway over the chicken pieces. You want the chicken to retain its lovely, golden, flavorful skin.
  • Braise in a 300 degree oven uncovered for about 30 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, toast 1/2 cup of almond flour (or blanched sliced almonds) until golden and blend with about 2-3 tsp of oil to make a kind of liquid-y paste.
  • take the chicken out of the oven. Remove the chicken pieces to a plate and cover loosely to keep them warm
  • Simmer the broth on the stove until it is reduced by half
  • Stir the almond paste into the reduced broth.and cook for 2-3 minutes. Voila! you will have the most rich, flavorful chicken gravy ever!

I served this just by itself with some tiny, thin green beans on the side. DH ate it over rice. I would have made cauli-rice or cauli-mash to go with it, but it didn't really need it in my opinion. This recipe is a keeper!

Last edited by dianafoot; 01-13-2013 at 05:58 PM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Sounds good and a lot like my French Chicken Provencale recipe. Mine is all done stovetop however, and has tomato and bell pepper in it also.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
That looks so good. I'm a chicken kid.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I have been curious for awhile about using ground nuts as a thickener. I have been making almost exactly the same recipe for years, but without any thickener, and we have always liked it just fine. This recipe emphasizes not to leave out the toasted almond paste, and they are right--it takes the standard braised chicken recipe to a whole new level! Think I have just found my go-to recipe for guests.

Last edited by dianafoot; 01-14-2013 at 01:26 PM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote