Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
What's your favorite Coffeecake?

I am looking for some coffee cake recipes and I know there are lots on this board. I just made for the umpteenth time Carolyn F's famous Raspberry Almond Crumb cake that we all know and love so well. As wildly good as that one is, I would like to have a few more coffee cakes in my arsenal. Anybody got some good recipes?

dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
THIS one! I was just getting ready to copy and paste Carolyn's raspberry/almond coffee cake recipe when I saw this heading

It's SOOO yummy, good enough for company.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post
THIS one! I was just getting ready to copy and paste Carolyn's raspberry/almond coffee cake recipe when I saw this heading

It's SOOO yummy, good enough for company.
haha that's funny! This is a great coffee cake.

I think I am looking for something maybe a little lighter and more everyday. This one has a lot of fat in addition to being all almond flour, so I feel a little glumpy after eating even a small piece. I haven't dared to mess with the recipe, but I wonder if it really needs the butter, or if I might use a little coconut flour or whey protein powder in place of some of the almond flour. Just thinking...

Anyway, I bet there are some good recipes that use cinnamon topping or apples (chayotes or zucchini, etc.) Ideas?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Here's my best one so far, Diana: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...offeecake.html

I've only made it the one time, because I really try not to indulge in sweets much anymore. I still bake them for DH once in awhile, but much less frequently than when I made this in 2010.

Last edited by buttoni; 01-13-2013 at 07:19 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
This ones for Scott123 - Moc Entenmanns New Jersey Isomalt Crumb Cake

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ry-danish.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cake-pics.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...mond-tart.html

Here are a few I have saved.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
I made Maria's coconut flour donut recipe into a coffee cake. It's quite good. I need a better glaze recipe than the one I made up though, it was too grainy.
Maria Emmerich's Coconut Flour Cake Donuts
1/2 cup of coconut flour
1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
6 eggs
1/2 cup of Swerve
1 TBS coconut extract
1/2 cup coconut oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fill greased donut pan circles about 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Toasted coconut topping: Toast some unsweetened coconut flakes for about 5 minutes at 300 degrees F. Dip each donut in sugar free pancake syrup and then in the toasted coconut. Serves 8.

Nutritional Info Per 1/2 cup (of flour only):
White Flour = 50 carbs, 2 fiber, 48 effective carbs 248 Calories
Coconut Flour = 40 carbs, 24 fiber, 16 effective carbs, 240 calories
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
I like this one for just everyday:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...rumb-cake.html
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I like all of these Diana. YUM!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I'm not sure where I got this recipe and I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good!

Coffee Cake

12 servings

Ingredients:

Topping:
1/4 cup Splenda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup ground almond (almond meal/almond flour)
1 teaspoon coconut flour

Cake:
1 cup ground almond (almond meal/almond flour)
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cup Splenda
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F.

Butter and flour (sifted coconut flour) an 8×8 square baking pan. You can also line with parchment if you do not want to butter/flour. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix all topping ingredients by hand or with a fork. It will all come together to form a kind of dough. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.

To make the cake:
In small bowl, combine ground almonds, coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine half and half, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk by hand until combined. Mix in Splenda. Then mix in butter. Lastly add your almond flour mix and just stir until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly. Sprinkle your stopping mix on top and slightly press the topping chunks in to cake batter with your hands.

Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or until the cake springs back lightly when touched.

Nutritional information for 1 serving: Calories 156, Carbohydrates: 5.42 g, Sugars: 0.67 g, Fiber: 1.66 g Protein: 3.71 g, Fat: 14.75 g, Net carbs: 3.76 g

This recipe is from Laura Dolson. Haven't tried this one yet either.

Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

3 cups almond meal
1 ½ cups sugar substitute (liquid or powdered, see below)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup butter (4 Tablespoons), chilled and cut into small pieces
½ cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon each vanilla and almond extracts
2 Tablespoons oil
6 oz. cream cheese
Salt
1 cup fresh or frozen (but not thawed) blueberries or raspberries
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter or oil 9X9 inch pan (cooking spray is fine).
Coffee cake is prepared in three layers. If you are using a standing mixer, you can use the same bowl if you make the layers in the order listed - just remove them to separate bowls until ready to assemble.

1)Streusel Topping: Mix 1 cup of the almond meal, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ cup sweetener, a pinch of salt and the 4 Tablespoons butter. I find that the whisk type attachment on my standing mixer works well - you want the mixture to stay crumbly. You can use a pastry blender, knives - whatever works. But if it all clumps together, don't worry - just crumble it over the top when the time comes. This is one area where I used to use powdered sweetener, but I have found more recently that my beloved Sweetzfree liquid (zero carbs; no aftertaste) works fine.

2) Cream Cheese Layer: Mix cream cheese, 1 egg, and ¼ cup sweetener. If you want a thinner layer of cream cheese, you can use 4 oz. instead of 6. The mixture won't be as thick and will pour more evenly over the cake layer.

3) Cake layer: Mix dry ingredients: 2 cups of almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, ¼ ½ teaspoon cinnamon, teaspoon salt, and ¾ cup sweetener if you are using a powder. Then add the sour cream, oil, extracts, liquid sweetener if that's what you're using sour cream, and 2 eggs and mix well. At this point, you might want to add 1-2 Tablespoons of water, depending on the consistency. You want the batter to be thick enough to support the rest of it, but not too gloppy - you should be able to spread it easily in the pan. I usually end up adding about a Tablespoon of water.

4) Assembly: Spread the cake layer in the pan, and spread the cream cheese on top (if it's the larger amount of cream cheese, you won't be able to spread it evenly, but that's OK). Then sprinkle the blueberries on the cream cheese and the streusel on the top of that.

5) Bake for about half an hour, or until toothpick not inserted into a berry comes out clean. If you use a thermometer, it should be about 155° F. in the center.

6) Cool and slice. It is filling, so I usually cut it into 16 pieces.

Nutritional Information: For 16 servings, each serving has 3 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2.5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 217 calories.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gosh, thanks everyone for the links and for the written-out recipes! I've been wanting especially to try for donuts and cinnamon crumb cake!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
I forgot to say that if you turn the donut recipe into a coffee cake, it works perfectly in an 8x8 pan. I think I baked it for about 30 minutes. The cake is very much like a cake donut in texture.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonestarstamper
Stats: 221/210/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2011
where can I find the recipe for Carolyn F's Raspberry Almond Crumb cake?
lonestarstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarstamper View Post
where can I find the recipe for Carolyn F's Raspberry Almond Crumb cake?
Carolyn posted it on this thread--Linda Sue made it and put a picture in the second posting on the thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...rumb-cake.html
Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I'm not sure where I got this recipe and I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good!

Coffee Cake

12 servings

Ingredients:

Topping:
1/4 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon coconut flour

Cake:
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cup Splenda
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350F.

Butter and flour (sifted coconut flour) an 8×8 square baking pan. You can also line with parchment if you do not want to butter/flour. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix all topping ingredients by hand or with a fork. It will all come together to form a kind of dough. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.

To make the cake:
In small bowl, combine ground almonds, coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine half and half, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk by hand until combined. Mix in Splenda. Then mix in butter. Lastly add your almond flour mix and just stir until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly. Sprinkle your stopping mix on top and slightly press the topping chunks in to cake batter with your hands.

Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or until the cake springs back lightly when touched.

Nutritional information for 1 serving: Calories 156, Carbohydrates: 5.42 g, Sugars: 0.67 g, Fiber: 1.66 g Protein: 3.71 g, Fat: 14.75 g, Net carbs: 3.76 g

This recipe is from Laura Dolson. Haven't tried this one yet either.

Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

3 cups almond meal
1 ½ cups sugar substitute (liquid or powdered, see below)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup butter (4 Tablespoons), chilled and cut into small pieces
½ cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon each vanilla and almond extracts
2 Tablespoons oil
6 oz. cream cheese
Salt
1 cup fresh or frozen (but not thawed) blueberries or raspberries
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter or oil 9X9 inch pan (cooking spray is fine).
Coffee cake is prepared in three layers. If you are using a standing mixer, you can use the same bowl if you make the layers in the order listed - just remove them to separate bowls until ready to assemble.

1)Streusel Topping: Mix 1 cup of the almond meal, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ cup sweetener, a pinch of salt and the 4 Tablespoons butter. I find that the whisk type attachment on my standing mixer works well - you want the mixture to stay crumbly. You can use a pastry blender, knives - whatever works. But if it all clumps together, don't worry - just crumble it over the top when the time comes. This is one area where I used to use powdered sweetener, but I have found more recently that my beloved Sweetzfree liquid (zero carbs; no aftertaste) works fine.

2) Cream Cheese Layer: Mix cream cheese, 1 egg, and ¼ cup sweetener. If you want a thinner layer of cream cheese, you can use 4 oz. instead of 6. The mixture won't be as thick and will pour more evenly over the cake layer.

3) Cake layer: Mix dry ingredients: 2 cups of almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, ¼ ½ teaspoon cinnamon, teaspoon salt, and ¾ cup sweetener if you are using a powder. Then add the sour cream, oil, extracts, liquid sweetener if that's what you're using sour cream, and 2 eggs and mix well. At this point, you might want to add 1-2 Tablespoons of water, depending on the consistency. You want the batter to be thick enough to support the rest of it, but not too gloppy - you should be able to spread it easily in the pan. I usually end up adding about a Tablespoon of water.

4) Assembly: Spread the cake layer in the pan, and spread the cream cheese on top (if it's the larger amount of cream cheese, you won't be able to spread it evenly, but that's OK). Then sprinkle the blueberries on the cream cheese and the streusel on the top of that.

5) Bake for about half an hour, or until toothpick not inserted into a berry comes out clean. If you use a thermometer, it should be about 155° F. in the center.

6) Cool and slice. It is filling, so I usually cut it into 16 pieces.

Nutritional Information: For 16 servings, each serving has 3 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2.5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 217 calories.
I made this coffee cake this morning using Tagatose. It was like a rich and buttery carmel pound cake, or what I have heard called a dump cake. Absolutely delicious, but very rich.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Page 214 and 215 of Volume #2

Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake. Voted excellent and moist

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...u-tried-9.html

Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=Ginaaaaaa;16192683]I'm not sure where I got this recipe and I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good!

Coffee Cake

12 servings

Ingredients:

Topping:
1/4 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon coconut flour

Cake:
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cup Splenda
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350F.

To make the cake:

Gina, or anyone, I don't have half and half, do you think I can sub almond milk for that?

Last edited by Tilly; 01-26-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
[quote=Tilly;16220654]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post

Coffee Cake

12 servings

Ingredients:

Topping:
1/4 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon coconut flour

Cake:
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cup Splenda
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350F.

To make the cake:

Gina, or anyone, I don't have half and half, do you think I can sub almond milk for that?

I don't see why not. You may just need to use a tad less, I think half and half is slightly thicker.

Anyone else know?
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I think your right Gina. I use almond milk when I can for recipes that say cream.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I think your right Gina. I use almond milk when I can for recipes that say cream.
Thank you both!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hmm, I want to make a coffee cake recipe soon. Diana, you did such a good job with Carolyn's cake. Yum!!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I have made Kevin's Cinnamon swirl coffe cake recipe many times and I really like it. Makes a large amount (13 x 9" pan")but can be easily cut in half. I use Jennifers bake mix and I put a crumb topping on. Keeps well in frig or freezer. Did I miss anything? LOL
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made the one just posted from Gina. Quite good, but a tad sweet. I happened to have just enough half and half, so did not have to sub almond milk for it. Cut it up into individual servings, then froze each one wrapped. I just like a piece of coffee cake for my Sunday breakfast.

jlp, can you please post the link to Kevin's coffeecake?