Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Ideas for baby eggplants? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/794311-ideas-baby-eggplants.html)

Nigel 01-12-2013 03:44 PM

Ideas for baby eggplants?

Does anyone have any ideas for baby eggplants?

I have to confess that I'm not real keen on regular eggplant and I found these at whole foods and thought I'd give them a try.

Any recipes would be great. TIA

buttoni 01-12-2013 07:14 PM

I use just about any recipe I would use for the big ones, Nigel, when I can GET baby eggplant. Don't see it much around here and I only see it in Austin at Central Market or Whole Foods. I sometimes chose to cut them up rather than try to stuff them if they are too small for some recipes. Saw a recipe once for a Greek stuffing with raisins and spices for them one time, but can't find it in my eggplant recipes.

I found this Indian dish over on the About website (sorry I can't link) and it sounds real good.

BHARVAAN BAINGAN (Baingan means eggplant)
User Rating 5 Star Rating
By Petrina Verma Sarkar

Baby eggplants stuffed with a delicious, tangy spice mix! Serve this really easy-to-cook dish with plain white rice and Lehsuni Daal (garlic-flavored yellow lentils).
Ingredients:

6 baby eggplants washed, stalk trimmed and partially slit into quarters
2 tsps coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
3 tbsps grated dessicated coconut
1 tsp very finely chopped garlic
Small marble-sized lump of tamarind soaked in a small bowl of warm water
3/4 tsp black mustard seeds
6-8 curry leaves
2 dry red chillies
Salt to taste
3-4 tbsp oil of your choice
Chopped fresh cilantro to garnish

Preparation: Put the coriander, cumin, turmeric, red chilli powders, coconut and chopped garlic in a bowl and mix. Squeeze the tamarind that has been soaked in the warm water so as to remove all the pulp from it and into the water. Strain and throw away the pith. Add this tamarind pulp to the spice mix a little at a time to get a thick paste. Add salt to taste and mix well. Fill the slits in the eggplants with this spice paste. Keep aside. Heat the oil in a pan (on a medium flame) till hot. Now add the mustard seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves and cook till spluttering stops. Now add the eggplants and gently stir. Cook till the eggplants are done. Stir occasionally but do it gently so as to avoid knocking the filling out of the eggplants. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with plain white rice and Lehsuni Daal (garlic-flavored yellow lentils).

Another good dish with eggplant is Baingan Bhartha, if you want to Google and find a recipe for that. It's one of our favorite Indian dishes.

Charski 01-13-2013 09:06 AM

I just whack off the top, cut them in half lengthwise, brush with EVOO and sprinkle with garlic salt, and grill til tender. They're quite yummy that way.

They're also good cut in half, score the flesh in a diamond fashion, roast at 400* til nearly tender, then brush with soy sauce/miso paste/sesame oil and cook til done. I LOVE them that way.

Nigel 01-13-2013 02:54 PM

Thanks Buttoni for the recipe and Charski.

I don't have the tamarind...I wonder if it will be okay without it? Or is there a substitute? I've actually never seen it in the stores here either.

buttoni 01-13-2013 05:57 PM

I have a block I found somewhere in Houston years ago. It provides a bit of sweetness (like dried prune) and tartness (like lemon), so maybe a little squeeze of lemon juice and 1 dried prune soaked and mashed up could be subbed in its place Nigel.

Nigel 01-14-2013 05:53 PM

Thanks Buttoni. I can do that. :)