Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Yaz--pea protein noodles? you can't mention them so casually and then not give up the recipe!.........pretty please
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
Ok netrition it is Monday and I am trying to be patient waiting for the UPS man......I want those dumplings...lol
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #213
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Yaz--pea protein noodles? you can't mention them so casually and then not give up the recipe!.........pretty please
LOL, okay I'll post a new thread.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

I'm so excited just got my order. Broth is heating up on stove. I'm having chicken and dumplings for lunch.
I wish the Da Vinvi syrup was in shorter bottles kind of a pain where to store it they are so tall. Do you all think this is the best kind for SF flavoring?
Thanks i will let you know how lunch turned out.
Susan
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

OMG! I just had chicken and dumplings for lunch. I had the broth heating while I was making the dumplings. These came out perfect. I've tried alot of recipes while on LC some good some not so good well this is better than good. My little dog was going nuts he could smell the chicken broth and chicken. I gave in and gave him some chicken but that is all he got. I heated my chicken up seperate then added it back into when the dumplings were done wasn't sure if the pieces boiling and hitting the dumplings would tear them apart or not what do you all think? How do you all store some of these things like your oat fiber and flours do you keep them in the freezer or do you think putting them in airtight containers like a lock and lock would they be ok. I'm going to date everything which I do on about anything I use like that. Buttoni I just want you to know you are my new best friend! I think when hubby gets home he may get a small sample. Do you think they will freeze or do you think they might fall apart when reheating?
Thanks for all your answers ahead of time. I love this site! Susan
Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

After i reread my post sorry for rambling I just am so excited! I would like to also flat noodles with this but not sure how to do that.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettebuff View Post

How do you all store some of these things like your oat fiber and flours do you keep them in the freezer or do you think putting them in airtight containers like a lock and lock would they be ok. I'm going to date everything which I do on about anything I use like that.

Do you think they will freeze or do you think they might fall apart when reheating?
Hi Susan!

I store my oat fiber at room temperature in no special container. I use a clip to keep it closed. I've had one open for several months and use it very frequently - it's fine.

I think buttoni froze some little dumplings and they were just fine later.

This is an exciting thing to be able to enjoy on this way of eating!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm so GLAD those came out for you, Susan. I just can't get over how good they are every time I make them. They keep in the fridge just fine for a couple days. I did freeze a couple to test and they reheated just fine when defrosted and used in soup. I've never been real big on freezing baked goods, breads (or in this case, delicate bread-like things), so I tend to just chill in the fridge and eat within a couple days.

I keep a small quantity of oat fiber in my pantry and replenish from the lion's share I store in my freezer. I've never noticed any of it spoiling. That's how I manage my almond flour, flax and coconut flour, too.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-18-2013 at 10:24 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #219
Senior LCF Member

OK thanks Judy and Buttoni. Buttoni that is how I do my other bakery items that aren't low carb. I had to laugh at the lion's share remark. If you could see one of my freezers you would understand how much we have in common. After I have reached well into my 60's I do date everything. Only because my Mom didn't and I was horrified when I would clean out her fridge and freezer. Time slips awfully fast at 67. Thanks again to the both of you for your answers. Susan
Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
After i reread my post sorry for rambling I just am so excited! I would like to also flat noodles with this but not sure how to do that.
I let the dough sit for a bit, then rolled it out on parchment paper. I sliced it with a knife. Worked well!
millergirl1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

I will try that next time I was afraid it may be too sticky but letting it rest a bit will do the trick. I have missed noodles and dumplings so much this is wonderful for me! Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I had to laugh at the lion's share remark. If you could see one of my freezers you would understand how much we have in common. After I have reached well into my 60's I do date everything. Only because my Mom didn't and I was horrified when I would clean out her fridge and freezer. Time slips awfully fast at 67.
Yup, your freezer sounds exactly like my freezer. And at 64, I totally understand about dating and labeling everything. My husband just shakes his head in disbelief at how many containers of baking ingredients I store in mine. He often can't find his ice cream for all of them. LOL

Yes, I do believe the longer you let this dough "set up" the sturdier it gets and the easier it is to handle/roll for special uses.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-18-2013 at 04:43 PM..
Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Oh Buttoni - You have hit a home run with these dumplings! OMG.

If anyone is on the fence about making these, don't be! They are unbelievable! I fed them to my non-LC kids first, and they were telling me how I just have to make these chicken and dumplings for supper again. They were just raving. Normally when I try to feed them something low carb, they are trying to find an excuse to not finish the food. This time was totally different. The recipe belongs in a LC cookbook!

Thank you so much for giving me something I can make for the entire family. :>) Now I'm just trying to figure out what else I can do with them. My fiance suggested rolling and cutting the dough into pot pie noodles.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

I have a juicer that will create pasta. I think I'm going to try to turn this dough recipe into noodles and steam cook them. I wonder if I should cut back on the baking powder or just remove it. Any suggestions?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you all liked them! People have been having luck making noodles from this dough as is, I think. I haven't done the formed/rolled noodles yet myself. But you could cut the BP back to 1/2 tsp. if you really want a chewier/harder noodle and see if that firms it up to your liking. Another option, a bit of coconut flour added made for a firmer dumpling the one time I tried it. I preferred the softer dumplings, but either approach might give you a firm noodle.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Glad you all liked them! People have been having luck making noodles from this dough as is, I think. I haven't done the formed/rolled noodles yet myself. But you could cut the BP back to 1/2 tsp. if you really want a chewier/harder noodle and see if that firms it up to your liking. Another option, a bit of coconut flour added made for a firmer dumpling the one time I tried it. I preferred the softer dumplings, but either approach might give you a firm noodle.
Thanks for the suggestion for making noodles, Buttoni.
I think I'll leave it as it is for making pot pie noodles, but try adding the coconut flour if I plan on using my pasta machine. I'll report how that worked out.

Right now, I've got hamburger stew cooking and we'll be having your awesome dumplings in that for supper. Man, I was so happy this recipe worked out. You have no idea! I'm the only low carber in the family. Though my fiance is adventurous enough to try things, my kids are always suspect of what I cook, so I have to cook HC for them. But this recipe gives me at least one LC meal that satisfies everyone. It's nice because I don't have to make something separate for myself. That makes me happy; now I've got to figure out more ways to use this dough to make more family-friendly meals.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope you'll share your dumpling dough experiments with us here. I also look forward to further uses for this fun and tasty dough.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
I did the flat noodles by letting dough sit for a minute or two to firm up a little. Then I rolled it flat on a silpat with a cylindrical glass until it was about 1/4" thick, and cut it into wide noodles with my pizza cutter. Simmered in the broth covered for 10 minutes until tender, and then added in the cooked chicken. Just like my mom's chicken 'n dumplings!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Thanks I will try that soon. This is going to be a life saver for me.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

My HC family and I absolutely love these dumplings. Again Buttoni, thank you so much for that recipe. I had mentioned trying to turn it into noodles. You said to let you know about the results.

Well, I tested it today. I made a double batch of the recipe, and I added a half tablespoon of coconut flour and didn't add the tablespoons of water. This left a crumbly texture, which I thought seemed perfect for my pasta machine. The pasta stood up to boiling very well and didn't fall apart or dissolve at all. I cooked it directly in boiling water for 7 minutes, drained it and added sauce like any other pasta. It turned out well, but the texture as compared to HC noodles isn't 100%. I decided to add some olive oil to the mixture I had reserved, which by then wasn't easy to mix it. I have it hanging to dry a bit now and will cook it tomorrow to see if that improves it any.

The original recipe, minus the tablespoons of water and an addition of ground poultry seasoning worked extremely well for chicken rivel soup.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for letting us know about your results, Mijobe. Good to know they held up to the simmering liquid. I still haven't dabbled with the noodle versions yet.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
Start Date: October 2009
Did the flat dumplings this evening, using Dianafoot's instructions. Rolled out on a silicone sheet with saran wrap on top of the dough. Fabulous! Just like regular carb dumplings. Love it!
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's wonderful, AtLast! I've GOT to try the noodle for of these. I copied Diana's instructions down.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
For those making soups are you storing the leftover dumplings with the soup or do you need to remove them?
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
For those making soups are you storing the leftover dumplings with the soup or do you need to remove them?
I haven't been removing mine and they've held up perfectly.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
Start Date: October 2009
I store mine in the soup. They break up a little, but not too much.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

I wonder why some people's dumplings are coming out more delicate. Could it be a difference in the brands of gluc. or oat fiber? I'm using the Now brand of gluc powder and the Lifeforce Oat Fiber 500. I checked the ingredients of both, and they contained nothing else, like an anti-caking agent. I even made tiny rivels instead of full-size dumplings, and they still didn't break down despite the fact that we had the same rivel soup as leftovers the next day. Also, my broth is not thickened unless I make it with rivels. Hmmm...
Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

I think you need to let it set a little bit before putting into the broth anyway that is what I found using this.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think you need to let it set a little bit before putting into the broth anyway that is what I found using this.
Hmm....Maybe that is the only difference.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
I agree.

By the time I made these, someone had let them sit out a bit before cooking, so I did too. They held up beautifully during cooking and as leftovers, which I left in the soup.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote