Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Buttoni you have no idea how happy you have made me. I was getting ready to make a netrition order well guess what else will go on it. I can almost taste those dumplings. They look absolutely amazing!
Thanks again, Susan H.
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
When you finally taste them, Buff, I suspect you'll like them. My husband just HAS to have his chicken and dumplings in the wintertime. He likes it so much, he'd even eat the canned junk when we first got married (which I never could stand). He enjoys these every time I make them. No, they're not real flour dumplings, but they come REAL close.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #183
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
So Miss Peggy I've read everything about these dumplings. I'm going to try this , this weekend.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Wonder how this would work for ravioli? I bought a ravioli press at Goodwill a few years ago even though I doubted I would use since I low-carb but I still had to have it since I'm a kitchen appliance hoarder, LOL.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Wonder how this would work for ravioli? I bought a ravioli press at Goodwill a few years ago even though I doubted I would use since I low-carb but I still had to have it since I'm a kitchen appliance hoarder, LOL.
let us know if you make LC ravioli...I would buy a press if it worked
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
I wonder if potstickers would be possible with this recipe
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #187
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I tell you, after reading the Fantastic Flour thread, I think anything is possible with tweaking.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Waiting for my order I have to make these dumplings. I can almost taste them now..lol
Susan
Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Someone said it reminded them of cream puff dough so naturally I'm thinking hmmm could that be baked and make a LC filling with whip cream or something inside? Some of you creative people I bet could figure that out. If and when I get my order I think they told me they thought I would get it on Monday so I am trying to patiently wait but I can almost taste those dumplings... Susan
Old 02-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender Blend
Stats: 380/343/160
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post

For the last couple years I’ve been working hard to come up with low-carb dumplings that, in my opinion, taste and have the mouth feel of the dumplings I made before I was low-carbing. All experiments have been mediocre, at best. Somewhere on the net a year or so ago, maybe here in a discussion on Low Carb Friends forums (but not the gluc sticky thread I researched today), I wrote down by hand someone’s dumpling recipe made with glucomannan powder. I’d love to give credit to my inspiration on this, but I must admit on this one occasion (which is rare for me), I did indeed fail to write down the person who was my inspiration on this. If it's a member here, I hope you'll step forward so I can give credit on my website.

Glucomannan adds the elasticity and slight chewiness needed for dumplings and noodles. So I’ve really been experimenting a a great deal with gluc powder this past year. Whoever posted this basic recipe had no leavening in their version and I found them way too dense. Might experiment with the dough for possible noodle results, but just not light enough for dumplings IMO. So I added some baking powder and VOILA, a fairly light dumpling that will now be my go to recipe. As you can see in the pic above, they held together nicely during simmering (unlike most of my previous almond flour/coconut flour dumpling attempts that disintegrated in the broth), yet the gluc powder still gave off enough thickening from the surface to slightly thicken the broth! NICE!

These were the best low-carb dumplings I’ve had in three years, for sure! My husband gave these dumplings two thumbs up today! (he's pretty picky). He was astounded when I read him the low calorie/carb count for these. Guilt free dumplings at last!! YAAAAAAY!

The recipe posted elsewhere on my website for chicken and dumplings is good, don’t get me wrong. But you have to bake those rolls for the dumplings separately in that recipe. With this dumpling recipe, I can stir the ingredients together when my broth is ready and the dumplings are simmering immediately! Much easier! And I'm one in to EASY, FAST cooking.

These would also be good (made much smaller) for vegetable soups and I plan to try my hand at gnocchi with this dough as well. One might be able to make this dough into a VERY large German-style dumpling to have with Wiener Schnitzel, but I would have NO idea how long that would take to get done simmering in the broth. Should I ever try the mega-dumpling, I’ll post my results on my website. These are not suitable until the grains rung of the Atkins OWL ladder due to the oat fiber.

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 tsp. baking powder (not in original recipe)
1½ T. glucomannan powder (Konjac powder)
1½ T. oat fiber (NOT oat flour or oat bran, which are much higher in carbs)
1/8 tsp. salt
¼ c. +2 T. water
1 extra large or jumbo egg, beaten

VARIATION: Add 1-2 T. finely chopped parsley

DIRECTIONS: Beat the egg in a small bowl with a fork. Add the water and beat until well blended. On a paper plate or in another bowl, mix the dry ingredients well. Slowly sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet, beating constantly as you incorporate the two. Using a rubber spatula, fold the mixture over and over itself until the glucomannan has thickened the mixture into a smooth batter and eventually a thick dough. Using a teaspoon, drop 1″ balls of the dough into boiling soup/chicken stock, cover. you want a medium simmer on the fire. From the time you cover the pot, set timer for exactly 10 minutes (less if you chose to make very small dumplings). I like to remove chicken, meat or large chunks of vegetables to a platter while the dumplings are cooking to prevent overcooking and to allow ample room for the dumplings to rise and swell up. DO NOT LIFT THE LID or disturb the pot during this 10 minutes. Voila. They’re done! I have not found I have to thicken the stock further but you can decide if YOU want to thicken yours or not.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 medium-large 1¼” dumplings (this diameter after cooking), each contains:

7.17 calories
.49 g fat
1.38 g carbs, 1.29 g fiber, .1 g NET CARBS
.61 g protein
55 mg sodium
6.5 mg potassium
That looks just like the chicken and dumpling my mom makes...I have to try this recipe.
Lavender Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
I am making these for dinner tonight, and I am SUPER excited about it. I have a chuck roast slow cooking all day, and I am going to boil daikon radishes, green beans and maybe some carrots when I get home, pull the meat, and add broth to make it a yummy beef dumpling soup. Mmmm!

Will there be any issue if I double this recipe? It is a big batch, and I want to make sure I have enough.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

They told me Tuesday that my order would take four business days so I figure that is this Monday. I am so going to have these Monday night if my order comes they look so good.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I confess that I too am a kitchen appliance/gadget hoarder! LOL!
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
I am making these for dinner tonight, and I am SUPER excited about it. I have a chuck roast slow cooking all day, and I am going to boil daikon radishes, green beans and maybe some carrots when I get home, pull the meat, and add broth to make it a yummy beef dumpling soup. Mmmm!

Will there be any issue if I double this recipe? It is a big batch, and I want to make sure I have enough.
sorry MG, I was out of town a couple days and just got back. I would think you could double OK, but they're so filling, you might not be able to eat as many as you would regular dumplings. Hope they came out OK.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gee, Pam, I just don't know. I find them pretty puffy and haven't tried the rolled, flat noodle variation yet. It "might" work. Do let us all know if you decide to give it a go!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I finally licked my "kitchen appliance hoarder" addiction. Sold or gave away most of the superfluous once when we downsized and moved up here to Central Texas. Had to, as my kitchen is much, MUCH smaller with only half the cabinet space I once had.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
I wonder if potstickers would be possible with this recipe
Well, it might be worth some experimenting. I vote YOU let us know.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
sorry MG, I was out of town a couple days and just got back. I would think you could double OK, but they're so filling, you might not be able to eat as many as you would regular dumplings. Hope they came out OK.
I made a double batch. I let the dough sit for just a bit, and rolled it fairly flat, and cut them in to egg noodle shape. Absolutely delicious! Thank you! Such a keeper recipe.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, another success story with this recipe. glad you liked them, MG.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #200
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I just made another batch for lunch. I rolled them into balls and flattened them. After cooking in water with chicken bouillon I pan fried them in coconut oil and topped them off with some Boeuf Bourguignon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130217_152923.jpg (24.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20130217_153142.jpg (33.7 KB, 58 views)
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I just made another batch for lunch. I rolled them into balls and flattened them. After cooking in water with chicken bouillon I pan fried them in coconut oil and topped them off with some Boeuf Bourguignon.
Wowza!!! You just took the dumplings up 4 levels!! lol

They look sooooo yummy!! I'm not sure what the topping is but it looks delicious!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #202
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Wowza!!! You just took the dumplings up 4 levels!! lol

They look sooooo yummy!! I'm not sure what the topping is but it looks delicious!
It's essentially a beef stew.

INGREDIENTS
47 oz Lean Stewing Beef
113 g Bacon (streaky)
284 g Onions
22 g Minced Garlic
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
375 mL Red Wine, Cabernet Sauvignon
2 Beef Boullion Cube
375 g Celery
281 g Button Mushroom
1 tbsp Corn Starch
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's essentially a beef stew.

INGREDIENTS
47 oz Lean Stewing Beef
113 g Bacon (streaky)
284 g Onions
22 g Minced Garlic
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
375 mL Red Wine, Cabernet Sauvignon
2 Beef Boullion Cube
375 g Celery
281 g Button Mushroom
1 tbsp Corn Starch
That sounds excellent! I copied it into my recipe files.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #204
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
That sounds excellent! I copied it into my recipe files.

Thanks!
It's soooooooooo easy.

This is the recipe I used (from TUMMYRUMBLR) - the only thing I changed was that after frying what needed frying in a pan I put everything into a crock pot

Beef Bourguignon:

14 @ 141g servings (heaping 1/2 cup) - plus I tasted some as it was cooking.

I fried everything in a pan then transferred to crockpot and cooked on high for 3-4 hours. I added the celery and cooked for another hour or so. Turned it off overnight (I started cooking after work and didn't want to leave the pot on overnight. I also need it to be cold before I bag into individual portions.

The next day turned it back on high and added button mushrooms and cooked until they were done. Added cornstarch to try and thicken sauce. Cooked for 20 or so minutes and turned it off. Left in pot overnight to cool, so that it was cold when I bagged it into portions.

3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into ½” dice
3# beef chuck, cut into 1 ½” chunks
1 large yellow onion, medium dice
4-5 large cloves garlic, sliced
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 ½ C. dry red wine (more if necessary)
2 ½ C. beef stock (more if necessary)
S & P
Celery
Button Mushrooms

In a large dutch oven or other heavy pot, brown the diced bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon leaving all of the fat behind. Season the beef chunks liberally with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high and brown the beef chunks in batches, being sure not to overcrowd the pan. Brown each chunk of beef on two sides, and then transfer to a plate until all of the beef is browned. This may require 3 or even 4 batches.

Reduce the heat to medium again and add the onions. Season with a little more salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another few minutes until fragrant. Lastly, add the tomato paste and stir to mix well, allowing the tomato paste to toast for a minute on the bottom of the pan.

Pour the wine into the pan and stir to bring up any bits that have become stuck to the bottom. Return the beef and bacon to the pan with any juices, and then add the beef broth so that it just covers the meat.

Increase the heat to high and cover to bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low or medium low so that the liquid is at a moderate simmer. Simmer the stew, covered, for 3 hours checking on it once an hour to be sure it is still bubbling. If at any point the stew looks too dry, add a little more wine and/or broth to compensate. If the stew is still very liquidy after 2 hours, uncover it for the last hour of cooking.

When the stew is done, the beef will be falling apart-tender and the liquid will be reduced and thickened. Season to taste for salt (although it should need much more if any), and serve over mashed potatoes, creamy polenta, or just in a bowl all by itself.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, this would be really good with Peggy's dumings!!
I'm planning on making a stew sometime this week and was planning on making the dumplings to go with it.

Nice to have a new beef recipe, I get sick of the same ones.

I think I will try frying the dumplings like you did too.

Thank you for sharing! You should post this in the low carb recipe pictures sticky thread with the pic of this over Peggy's dumplings!! It's at the top of this forum
Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
WOW Yaz!
Dumpling level: Expert!

Thank you!!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
OMG those are beautiful!! Now I want to do Diana's rolled noodle version and follow up with a quick skillet browning! I'm for sure seeing pot stickers on the horizon!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #208
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OMG those are beautiful!! Now I want to do Diana's rolled noodle version and follow up with a quick skillet browning! I'm for sure seeing pot stickers on the horizon!
The really nice thing about pan frying them was they lost that sticky/gooeyness that the gluc gives them. But they were still nice and soft inside.

I think this would be a good way to make large batches to freeze as they won't stick to each other.

I was thinking of trying to roll them out in thin sheets on silpat and bake them. Then cut into strips to make lasagna noodles. Not sure if I'd need to boil them like dry pasta or just use them as is and let the sauce soften them if they got too crispy from the oven.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well I tried baking this stuff rolled thin and cooked atop a cherry cobbler and it was awful. Dry, rubbery and tough as nails. I think this stuff needs moisture-cooking to be successful. Had to throw that trial in the trash. So I kinda doubt the dry-baked lasagna noodle approach will work. But I think rolling, cutting, perhaps steaming? and then searing quickly on both sides on an oil-glazed skillet might give you that result.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-17-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #210
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well I tried baking this stuff rolled thin and cooked atop a cherry cobbler and it was awful. Dry, rubbery and tough as nails. I think this stuff needs moisture-cooking to be successful. Had to throw that trial in the trash. So I kinda doubt the dry-baked lasagna noodle approach will work. But I think rolling, cutting, perhaps steaming? and then searing quickly on both sides on an oil-glazed skillet might give you that result.
Thanks for the tip! I may try that.

I made a batch of pea protein noodles (I cut them into slivers and they grew to about 3/4 of an inch wide!) that were okay, but not quite firm enough for my liking. I wonder if they would be better if I added some gluc and oat fibre to them.