Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
hmmm dh has crohns so we avoid grains. Now I'm curious
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarre View Post
hmmm dh has crohns so we avoid grains. Now I'm curious
My sweet 30-yr-old nephew has Crohn's. I wish he lived closer because he has started eating grain-free and I know he'd test this for us.

I don't think Crohn's likes a lot of fiber, either - or at least his gut doesn't.
It's more likely a very personal thing, though. He had to cut out dairy, as well.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Peggy, just to be clear: did you freeze the gnocci before or after they were boiled in the broth?
I test froze them AFTER complete cooking, Diana. And they froze beautifully.

Actually, I can't imagine freezing this sticky dough when "raw". But hey, you could glop it into ziploc raw and see what happens I suppose. I would just think it would get even stickier when defrosted.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarre View Post
These sound so good but we just can't do grains so the oat fiber is out. Any chance of a sub for that?
I don't know of a sub for oat fiber. I put it in these dumplings for the floury FLAVOR it can bring. Without it, I don't think I would like the taste of these gluc dumplings.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Peggy,
I think a couple of posts up you mentioned 1/2ing the recipe. Due to my issue with portion control, I would love to do that. Did you just beat the egg then use half of it? or just use the egg and no water?
EllaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just beat it up and spooned up what visually looked like half. The rest went on the Button's (my dog) dinner.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot

Okay, I had to ask myself, why am I so gung-ho about trying something that I never really liked in my high-carb days? I never much cared for the puffy, roundish dumplings, but I loved the flat homemade wide noodle-shaped dumplings that were a tradition where I grew up. I tried this recipe anyway, and they are really good!

My next step, when I saw how nice and soft and workable the dough was, was to try rolling out a few to make flat noodles like my mother used to make. OMG! this is it!! The chicken and dumplings North Carolina-style that I thought I would never never eat again. Thank you, Peggy, you have done it again!

Last edited by dianafoot; 01-22-2013 at 02:44 PM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
How did you roll them diana - did you dust with extra oat fiber? Or just wait until the dough firmed up somewhat? Curious minds want to know!
penguinpower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
How did you roll them diana - did you dust with extra oat fiber? Or just wait until the dough firmed up somewhat? Curious minds want to know!
I followed the directions exactly and the dough was soft and elastic enough to press out flat with my fingers. I used a smooth-sided glass to get them even, then cut into 1" wide strips. They were about 1/4" thick rolled out, and a little thicker after cooking. I think I will try rolling them even thinner next time.

BTW, I rolled them on my wooden cutting board without using anything to dust the board or my fingers and they didn't stick to me or the board. I think when I try to roll them thinner, I'll put them on a silpat or something, though.

I didn't think they were done enough after 10 minutes, so I put them back into the boiling broth and simmered for another 10 minutes. The noodles took the same amount of time to cook as the puffballs, oddly. I like them soft, though, so if you like them al dente, 10 minutes might be enough.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Sounds so good! I'll try these next DD.
penguinpower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG, I can't believe you succeeded in rolling these, Diana, on an unfloured board, even. I've GOT to try that. But maybe I just need to actually try it next batch. I love the flat homemade noodles, too, especially for Italian recipes. But I never thought I could roll it. Mine was pretty tacky/sticky to the touch. Did you let it sit a few minutes to dry the surface for it to be workable?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
OMG, I can't believe you succeeded in rolling these, Diana, on an unfloured board, even. I've GOT to try that. But maybe I just need to actually try it next batch. I love the flat homemade noodles, too, especially for Italian recipes. But I never thought I could roll it. Mine was pretty tacky/sticky to the touch. Did you let it sit a few minutes to dry the surface for it to be workable?
could be it was beginner's luck, but the dough was delightfully light, soft, and workable. After I scooped up a number of little balls with a teaspoon and plunked them into the boiling broth, I just patted out the last of the dough and rolled it thin. I had no problem with doing that at all. We'll have to see if the next batch is so cooperative!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I simply MUST try it next time I make something Italian, Diana. Oh, to have noodles that taste like real homemade Italian noodles, instead of plain old shiritakis, that are actually a bit too "crunchy" for my taste.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #104
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Lol. With my second batch I took some dough and rolled like a play dough snake. Then I put them in boiling water. They were a bit too tender, so I think we might have to make a drier dough for noodly things. ????
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
How I missed dumplings(mine used to be made with Bisquick) with the sauerkraut and pork on New Years Day(for good luck). Thank you for the recipe.
Ladeeda, could you post your recipe for the pork and sauerkraut dinner? We went to a german (I think) restaurant and that's what we had....during the course of the dinner my hubby asked if I could make the sauerkraut part of the dish low carb...I know they had apples in the recipe because I asked the waitress what was in it....you could taste it and it was delish!!! Any suggestions to make it lc and for a replacement for the apples? Thanks! Just wanted to add that it had a tanginess to it that we loved, maybe vinegar?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
Ladeeda, could you post your recipe for the pork and sauerkraut dinner? We went to a german (I think) restaurant and that's what we had....during the course of the dinner my hubby asked if I could make the sauerkraut part of the dish low carb...I know they had apples in the recipe because I asked the waitress what was in it....you could taste it and it was delish!!! Any suggestions to make it lc and for a replacement for the apples? Thanks! Just wanted to add that it had a tanginess to it that we loved, maybe vinegar?
I am not laleeda, but I have a great sub for the apples. I have been using chayotes for awhile now, peeling them and cutting them up. They should be simmered for awhile until they are tender if using them in a dish where the apples are normally cooked, as they take much longer than apples do to get soft. If you add lemon juice and a little sweetener to taste, they are virtually indistiguishable from apples. You don't need to add apple flavoring or spiced cider tea, they are excellent just the way they are. We made a pork chop with "apples" and onions the other day and it was excellent!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
My husband did the pork and sauerkraut this year in a large roaster in the oven. 2quarts of sauerkraut and 3 large meaty boneless pork pieces. I use a large crock pot and add pieces of bacon and boneless ribs and a little chicken broth on low 6 to 8 hours. The Bisquick dumplings I did like the package said...can't remember if it was 10min covered; then 10min uncovered or visa-verse. lol
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I am totally hooked on these dumplings. I removed the leftovers from the soup last night and put them in a bag in the fridge, a little afraid that they might disintegrate if I stored them in the soup. I think they were even better today added back into the reheated soup. I'm going to make some more and roll them as thin as I can get them and cut them in strips and see what happens.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Girl, you're on a roll with this dough! (accidental pun LOL) I thought the leftover ones were good, as well as the ones I froze. I think this dough has a myriad of applications if we put our creative minds to work. KUTGW in the kitchen, Diana!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Diana Dumplings Tweaked

Thanks for making them into the long noodle dumplings.
That's how we always had them. I miss them mucho.
We never ate puff dumplings. Now I am determined
to make a real good chicken and dumpling dinner.
Have everything in the house.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #111
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Ferret. I cannot find oat fiber anywhere. I went to three stores today.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Netrition has 1#bags. Honeyvillegrains sells it in 4# bags. I would be very surprised if you could find in in an actual store, Michelle. It's just not a product the general public uses or is familiar with. Really a specialty item for those who have learned about its special uses in baking.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #113
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok then I guess I will have to buy a bag from netrition. I just thought with all the specialty shops I've found here I would have been able to find it.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Omg. These are delicious. I cooked the dumplings separately in chicken broth and added to our bowls of chicken when ready to eat. I made them as written adding only some Italian seasoning. Next time would probably try some onion/ garlic powder and more salt. I rolled them into tight small balls and dropped them into slightly simmering liquid, covered and cooked 10 minutes. Next time I will roll them all and add to liquid all at once. Mine were small and made about 30 dumplings. Really good and I will use a lot.

Thank you Buttoni for this great recipe.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #115
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Ok then I guess I will have to buy a bag from netrition. I just thought with all the specialty shops I've found here I would have been able to find it.
There are a lot of recipes that use oat fiber here. It won't go to waste and honestly, the gas you spend looking for it locally is easily the $4.95 Netrition flat rate shipping but if your like me, you wanted to make it TODAY and were determined to find it. Ouizoid has a great chocolate OMM that utilizes oat fiber. It also uses glucomannan so make sure you got that. And that stuff keeps forever! Honestly, I have had my glucomannan 5+ years and my oat fiber 2 years. Both in a sealed container in the cabinet.

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 01-24-2013 at 08:47 AM..
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post

Ouizoid has a great chocolate OMM that utilizes oat fiber.
Dearest Cindy is this the OMM you're talking about?
Every part of me is urging me to try every single chocolate item available!

- - - - -
superlow carb/calorie chocolate OMM
ALERT. Please do not read if you have an objection to Frankenfoods. I, for various reasons, have to keep things super LC/LF and so I often depend on things other people wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

This made a wowzer delish chocolate low carb low fat muffin:

DRY
1/4 cup oat fiber
2 Tbs Hersheys special dark cocoa (20 cals)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 or a little less cup erythritol
1 tsp glucomannan powder

blend dry ingredients

WET
1/3 cup liquid eggwhite (30)
2 Tbs davinci SF vanilla syrup
2 Tbs hersheys sf chocolate syrup (15 cals)

mix together wet and dry and microwave for about a minute. There may be a little moist stuff on top--don't microwave until entirely dry.

Im thinking about 65 calories and 2-3 carbs for the thing. I sliced it up and topped with a little more hersheys sf syrup and it was so YUM. I think adding the glucomannan powder to the dry ingredients gave it a much moister crumb than you usually get with oat fiber--and of course cocoa acts like flour most of the time.

I will so not be offended if no one a) wants to try this, or b) can't because they don't have all the wacky ingredients but go for it if you are a mad scientist like me
Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

There are a lot of recipes that use oat fiber here. It won't go to waste and honestly, the gas you spend looking for it locally is easily the $4.95 Netrition flat rate shipping but if your like me, you wanted to make it TODAY and were determined to find it. Ouizoid has a great chocolate OMM that utilizes oat fiber. It also uses glucomannan so make sure you got that. And that stuff keeps forever! Honestly, I have had my glucomannan 5+ years and my oat fiber 2 years. Both in a sealed container in the cabinet.
Oh trust me, I'm a queen of glucomannan lol. I get anxiety when I start running low. Love the stuff. Even though I didn't find the oat fiber yesterday I finally got a bag of white chia seeds. I keep seeing drinks made with them and they look so good!

Yeah I wanted my oat fiber yesterday. I'm impatient. Im' going to go ahead and order it. I didn't realize it was one of the ingredients in most of the baking mixes, which I've never made.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad yours came out OK and you guys like these, Angeloco. Italian seasoning sounds good, too. Especially in Italian dishes, which is how I'd like to use these next.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #119
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Judy, that's the recipe! I added 1t of chia seed to my liquid which instead of Davinci and SF syrup, I subbed almond breeze and liked it a whole lot better. The edges stayed moister than without the chia seed. I cooked mine I bet 1 min 30 sec till the center was cooked but not a second over. The size and shape of your vessel makes all the difference. Also, I think I remember Splenda causing a bitter flavor when combined with chocolate which I think is why I don't like the Hershey's SF syrup because it is made with Splenda and has bitter undertones. When I used 1/3 of a cup of Truvia and no Splenda containing sweetener (and the 1t of chia seed soaked about 1 hour in my 1/4 cup of AB) it was really good!!

Michelle, your post was funny!! There are a lot of chia recipes on Pinterest if you are a Pinterest fan!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Judy, that's the recipe! I added 1t of chia seed to my liquid which instead of Davinci and SF syrup, I subbed almond breeze and liked it a whole lot better. The edges stayed moister than without the chia seed. I cooked mine I bet 1 min 30 sec till the center was cooked but not a second over. The size and shape of your vessel makes all the difference. Also, I think I remember Splenda causing a bitter flavor when combined with chocolate which I think is why I don't like the Hershey's SF syrup because it is made with Splenda and has bitter undertones. When I used 1/3 of a cup of Truvia and no Splenda containing sweetener (and the 1t of chia seed soaked about 1 hour in my 1/4 cup of AB) it was really good!!

Michelle, your post was funny!! There are a lot of chia recipes on Pinterest if you are a Pinterest fan!
THANKS Cindy! Off to soak my chia seeds....

Peggy sorry for the thread hijack.
Still so grateful you developed these dumplings!!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote