Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
accident tasted pretty good

It's so great to have dumplings back in my life. Today, when I was mixing the dry ingredients, I accidentally put in unflavored whey powder instead of the oat fiber. It dawned on me (both whey and oat products are in identical canisters, unlabeled) what had happened when the batter wouldn't turn into dough. So, the 1 1/2 T of oat fiber was added and the batter became dough at last. I was doubtful about the taste, but the whey added a gentle oomph to the flavor. I also poured a little WHC into the final product. It was all tasty. Even DH liked the dish. Can't wait until it's cold next winter to have these little jewels everyday.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #482
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
You know, I'm amazed at the flour-like flavor whey protein brings to baked goods LG, so I'm not surprised your accident rendered a flavor boost. I really like a little whey protein in breads and cakes and add it often.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #483
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
You know, I'm amazed at the flour-like flavor whey protein brings to baked goods LG, so I'm not surprised your accident rendered a flavor boost. I really like a little whey protein in breads and cakes and add it often.
I rarely experiment with recipes, but this accidental tweak was pretty good.

The Einkorn flour is also a nice addition to your recipe. It has about 1/3 fewer grams of carbohydrates than does the regular all purpose kind. thank you for telling us about it.

Jane
Old 06-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #484
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lady Shai
Stats: SW 219/ CW 205.4/ GW 130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: April 28, 2014
Buttoni....my husband asked me to tell you that you deserve a sainthood OR a godhood...whichever works best

I made your dumplings today to go with my chicken and leek stew (that I fixed up to be LC-ish), and used your dumplings. He said he died and went to heaven. I thought they were fantastic! They came out perfect....I added a bit of poultry seasoning, and some parsley/tarragon to them and they poofed up nice and happy. Gorgeous!!

Thank you so much for the recipe...you have made a dumpling loving man very happy, and me too
Lady Shai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #485
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well I'm tickled pink your hubby likes my dumplings, Lady Shai. Mine does, too, and he's pretty critical of low-carb "alternates" for real high-carb foods. But he loves these things. And I find additions to the dough, spices, seasonings really improves flavor a lot. If you scroll around the last couple pages of forum posts. I just posted a crawfish version that was to-die-for I made a couple weeks ago. Really full of 5-star flavor and the sauce was super on them. Froze my leftovers and I swear, they were even better when thawed and reheated! I'm going to try to roll the dough and make lasagna noodles next with my dumpling recipe.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Shai View Post
Buttoni....my husband asked me to tell you that you deserve a sainthood OR a godhood...whichever works best

I made your dumplings today to go with my chicken and leek stew (that I fixed up to be LC-ish), and used your dumplings. He said he died and went to heaven. I thought they were fantastic! They came out perfect....I added a bit of poultry seasoning, and some parsley/tarragon to them and they poofed up nice and happy. Gorgeous!!

Thank you so much for the recipe...you have made a dumpling loving man very happy, and me too
Do you have a recipe for the chicken and leek stew? I'd love to see it.

Jane
Old 07-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #487
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
I am so excited to try this recipe...I just ordered the gluc and oat fiber.
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #488
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope you like these, DDfarm. I've made them so many times now and they just never cease to amaze me and my husband. They are so versatile.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post
It's so great to have dumplings back in my life. Today, when I was mixing the dry ingredients, I accidentally put in unflavored whey powder instead of the oat fiber. It dawned on me (both whey and oat products are in identical canisters, unlabeled) what had happened when the batter wouldn't turn into dough. So, the 1 1/2 T of oat fiber was added and the batter became dough at last. I was doubtful about the taste, but the whey added a gentle oomph to the flavor. I also poured a little WHC into the final product. It was all tasty. Even DH liked the dish. Can't wait until it's cold next winter to have these little jewels everyday.
I'm very interested in your happy accident! I'm assuming you put in the same amount of whey powder as the oat fibre? WHC is heavy whipping cream or something else? did you put it into the dough/batter or into your final dish made with the dumplings from your accident? I'd like to try your tweak so that's why so many questions...hope you see this.

its' very interesting to hear that whey protein can add a sort of flour like taste... I am GF so can't do the Einkorn version of these.

Last edited by Deb34; 07-22-2014 at 09:16 AM..
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote