Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I tried baking some atop some cherry pie filling and the part that was exposed to the oven air cooked up tough and inedible, Deb. I would NOT recommend this dumpling dough for dry heat. Only total liquid submersion cooking.

Yaz, that's cool the lupin flour worked in these. I may try a little and see how I like that.
Buttoni, I don't know how I forgot that I already asked you that!!! Senility is settling in hard I think...sorry bout that.

Also, can someone please post the pinned down ultimate noodle dough version of this please? I'm getting a bit confused(see above) with the different ways people are making their noodles...I need something I can print and hopefully have work the first time, I've never been a dumpling person, but am keen to make fantastic noodles/pasta out of this,but first i need the definitive recipe...help!

Last edited by Deb34; 03-21-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #332
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Buttoni I love you. I was so skeptical, idk just because most lc recipes don't work out perfectly the first time lol.

I started out with:
a pot of water
3 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 chopped stalks of celery
1/2 a medium yellow onion chopped
About 1 1/2 cup sliced carrot
1tbsp garlic powder
1tbsp dehydrated parsley flakes
1tsp salt
1tsp black pepper

I put it all in the pot and let cook for about an hour until the chicken breast was cooked. I then made the dumplings according to Buttoni's original recipe, but added 1/8 tsp parsley flakes and 1/8 tsp garlic powder. I made them into balls with my hand, I got 13 instead of 12. I let them rest for about 5 minutes while I took the chicken breast out of the pot, and brought the liquid to a rolling simmer, not a hard boil. I then added the dumplings and shut the lid, timed for exactly 10 minutes. Boy oh boy did I want to open that darn pot. I didn't, and after 10 minutes I was like a little kid wanting to see how they looked. It was so cool and amazing. 13 huge dumplings just floating there, looking so delicious. They just about doubled in size.

When I originally rolled them out I was like, yeah, I can eat all of these. After they cooked, I shredded the chicken and added it back, made a bowl with 3 dumplings, and hardly was able to eat all that. The dumplings didn't have much flavor but they were really good. As soon as I bit into them all kinds of ideas flew in my head, so expect recipes to follow soon.

I let the dumplings hang out in the pot until it cooled so I could put it up, and when I was putting it up I tasted one and it was amazing. The flavor of the soup infused with the dumpling and it finally had flavor.

I brought a huge bowl to work today so I expect the dumplings to be more amazing. I'll take a picture of it when I make my lunch.

Buttoni you may have created a monster (well you all know I'm a recipe monster anyways, but now I have a new obsession lol). I just hope these are great for weight loss as the shiratake are.

I'm thinking dumplings cooked in broth, just to cook the dumplings, and making a cheesy casserole bake with them maybe. Or chocolate dumplings,with walden farms strawberry syrup. Hmmmmmm. Sounds delicious to me.

ETA: I forgot, I did change the original recipe from 3/4 tsp baking powder to 1/2 tsp baking powder, as I remember a few people in here saying 1/2 tsp seems to work better. Worked great for me.
See post #258. Already made choc dumplings they were good. Better the next day.

Last edited by Nelle Belle; 03-21-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
What does someone think about trying to make this recipe?:
~French Toast Dumplings…Simmered in Maple Syrup! | Oh Bite It
Sorry if I created a monster, MsWoods. They are great, aren't they? I was wondering when the "LCF queen of gluc noodles" (shirataki) would jump into the fray and test these out. LOL Your dumplings look GREAT! And the cinnamon French Toast version sounds amazing! I may just try that! It would be kinda like the gooey dough of the underside of apple dumplings. Man, that makes my mouth water! I'll defo try that, with some real or chayote/zucchini apple slices, maybe. Mmmm that sounds good.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #334
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
SO glad you thought it was amazing!!!!!
It is.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #335
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
WARNING!! Do not forget the eggs. LOL. Can you say slimey chicken soup. Oops
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #336
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I think I'm going to try the french toast dumplings tonight. I've got to run and get some WF pancake syrup. I think I'm just going to make the dumplings, maybe add some sweetener and cinnamon, and cook them in water with vanilla, then add the syrup to the finished product. I think that's my plan.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
I think I'm going to try the french toast dumplings tonight. I've got to run and get some WF pancake syrup. I think I'm just going to make the dumplings, maybe add some sweetener and cinnamon, and cook them in water with vanilla, then add the syrup to the finished product. I think that's my plan.
I can't wait to hear how they turn out! Keep us posted....
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #338
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat to hear how they come out, too. I plan to try them, too, Michelle, and your "plan of attack" , as my wargaming hubby would say, sounds like a good one.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #339
Big Yapper!!!!

I made them just as I said I would. They need more flavor, and probably up the oat fiber because they didn't hold together as much as the others. Or less water. Or maybe syrup in the egg instead of water....hmmmmmmmmm....may have to try another batch. But i added walden farms rasin peanut spread and pancake syrup and they were good. Great nearly no calorie/carb snack.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
You girls and that dumpling recipe. That is what I want on every UD I need a variety but I really like these and I don't do anything exciting with them just put in chicken broth and add my chicken back to them when they get finished. I was going to eat something different tomorrow on my UD now all I'm thinking about is how I can do the dumplings different. The only problem I have they are so filling and not very many calories. Maybe I should do these on a DD instead. Hmmm we shall see what tomorrow brings.
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #341
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok I'm out of glucc so I'm going to buy some of the NOW brand again since I can get it locally and I'll let yall know if there is a difference.

I'm fixing to mass make these babies today lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #342
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, dear, I DID create a monster, Michelle, didn't I? LOL I made plain old chicken and dumplings myself last night. Man, I love these things.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #343
Big Yapper!!!!

I got my NOW glucc powder so we will see. I'm not sure what I'm going to make yet.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #344
Big Yapper!!!!

So the NOW brand glucc worked exactly the same as the Konjac brand in this recipe. I decided that the original recipe does need 1tbsp of garlic powder and 1tbsp dried parsley, to make them hold together the way I want them too. So I guess in a different recipe I need to add more dried something. I was thinking maybe a tbsp of protein powder.

Anyhoo I made a double batch, removed them from the chicken broth and put them in a dry pan, added a little butter, pizza sauce, and some fresh shaved parmesan and it was really really good. That's what I'll be having for lunch.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds good. But didn't you mean 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and not 1 Tbsp. in that last post Michelle?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #346
Big Yapper!!!!

Nope. I put 1 tbsp in my dry mix.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #347
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow. That a lot.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #348
Big Yapper!!!!

They had a pretty garlicky flavor, but I liked it. They didn't hold together as well when I used less dry mix, so that will be my go to mix because 2 out of 2 times, it worked.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #349
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michelle779
Stats: very fat/thin enough to look good in tight jeans
WOE: Low Carb (20-30 carbs a day)
Start Date: Every morning
Thank you so much for this great recipe! I made it the first time about a week ago & again last night.

My pics:

Scarpetta Chef Scott Conant Shares His Spinach-Ricotta Gnudi Recipe - Celebrity Diners Club, Beyonce Knowles, Britney Spears, Jay-Z, Kim Kardashian, Rihanna : People.com

I've had this recipe bookmarked for a long time wondering how to convert it to LC. I'm gonna give it a try soon using your recipe.
michelle779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They look pretty and plump! WTG, Michelle.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Oh, I made these on Friday and they were just great. I cooked my chick in the slow cooker with green onions (DH bought them for 10 cents a bunch), celery and parsley. The broth turned out great. My dumps weren't as large as some shown in photos, but they were good and thickened the broth delightfully. I plan to make them for dinner next week when my son and 3 year old grandson arrive from Dallas.

Peggy, thank you a million times over for this recipe!

Jane
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #352
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad you tried them, Jane! I find them pretty incredible. It's nice to have lots of low-carb "tools" in one's toolbox.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #353
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I made rolled and cut dumplings and they were yummy!!

Click on pic to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.2 KB, 52 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #354
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
As much as I love gluc and what it does, it does not like me. Hours later I have intestinal distress, if you know what I mean.. Even in small quantities it does a number on me...feels like labor pains. I will leave it alone for now and try again in the future, starting out with the tiniest bit and see if I can build a tolerance.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #355
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I made rolled and cut dumplings and they were yummy!!
Mighty pretty, Gina! I guess I'm just too impatient to roll/cut and just drop mine by the spoonsful into the broth. I think I'm just basically a lazy cook. LOL What can I say?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #356
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Thanks Peggy! I wanted to try rolling and cutting them because I'd never had that type of dumpling before and these dumplings don't really remind of the high carb bisquick dumplings I had always eaten in my high carb days. They were really easy to roll out and I used a pizza cutter to cut them.

I would like to try them as a pasta replacement with sauce and in a lasagna some time!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #357
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
I printed the original recipe and have spent the last two hours reading this entire thread and making notes. I can't wait to try the chicken and dumplings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyjo View Post
Tried an experiment tonite, took a can of the Walmart sf apple pie filling, two packages of sf apple cider mix, and two cups of water, a shake of cinnamon and a shake of cloves and dumped in a sauce pan, brought to a boil and then simmered till hot. Made the dumplings as per the recipe, covered, and simmered for 10 minutes. Hot apple dumplings, ummm ummm good. Would be good with sf canned peaches or cherry pie filling too. Will definitely make again, thanks!

christyjo

I was glad to see that someone had tried a fruit cobbler like this. My MIL used to cut up fresh peaches, add some lemon juice and sugar and simmer until the peaches were done. Then she'd add her rolled dumplings (with some sweetener added) to the stewed peaches and simmer until the dumplings were done. It was to die for when a little ice cream was added to a bowl of the warm cobbler. I'll try it with berries.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
I just received my oat fiber from Netrition to use in my attempt at gluc noodles with oat fiber. I found this thread and tried my hand at some dumplings. Dough came out quite stiff like sugar cookie dough. I rolled it and cut it into rough squares. Simmered in chicken soup base and added pork.........will report how it turned out. I used no baking powder and the dumplings are fairly dense....didn't "puff up" as some have reported. Do you think BP would "lighten" them? How about baking soda and a little acid?
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #359
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fozzie, I wouldn't totally eliminate the BP. If you want a slightly dense rollable, noodle-like dumpling, I'd use no less than 1/2 tsp. BP; for fluffier drop-style dumplings, use the 3/4 tsp BP called for in the original Post#1 recipe; any more BP than that and I learned they fall totally apart in the broth with 1 full tsp. BP. I also got a denser result one time sprinkling about 1/2 tsp. coconut flour into the dry ingredients. But my personal preference is fluffy over denser.

I honestly don't know about switching to soda and acid Foz. We need Ouiz the biochemist to reply on that I think. I usually only use baking soda when a recipe specifically calls for it, as I assume the author has trialed with the soda. Or I'll occasionally use soda if I'm creating a recipe with buttermilk in it.

Last edited by buttoni; 06-04-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Old 06-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
Subbing!
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote