Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
I played around with the dumpling noodles again today. This time I tried miboje's idea of subbing olive oil for a little bit of the water, and I cut back the BP to 1/4 tsp.

I tried the "spaghetti" disc of my little gadget, but the dough was too tough to go through the teeny tiny holes - the little bit I did manage to force through was like angel hair. I think it would work with a "regular" spaghetti size. So I was forced (ha ha) to make the tagliatelli size noodles. I did however let the dough sit for a good while to rest before I tried to run it through the pasta maker - maybe if I had tried it sooner, it would have been soft enough to work for the angel hair.

Anyway, this batch turned out great, with even more of a mouthfeel like a real noodle than yesterday's batch. The olive oil really made a difference. With less BP they didn't grow as much. I'm going to borrow my friend's manual pasta maker to try to make some spaghetti tomorrow!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
I played around with the dumpling noodles again today. This time I tried miboje's idea of subbing olive oil for a little bit of the water, and I cut back the BP to 1/4 tsp.

I tried the "spaghetti" disc of my little gadget, but the dough was too tough to go through the teeny tiny holes - the little bit I did manage to force through was like angel hair. I think it would work with a "regular" spaghetti size. So I was forced (ha ha) to make the tagliatelli size noodles. I did however let the dough sit for a good while to rest before I tried to run it through the pasta maker - maybe if I had tried it sooner, it would have been soft enough to work for the angel hair.

Anyway, this batch turned out great, with even more of a mouthfeel like a real noodle than yesterday's batch. The olive oil really made a difference. With less BP they didn't grow as much. I'm going to borrow my friend's manual pasta maker to try to make some spaghetti tomorrow!
I wonder if they need any BP in them the dumplings may but I wonder about the noodles.
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post

I felt like the olive oil really did make a difference too. If your dough seems too stiff to get through your pasta machine, try adding a teaspoon of water at a time. I'm going to try reducing the BP next time I make this as pasta.

I've also found that adjusting the liquid up and down makes the dough better depending on what I'm making. I made dumplings again this week, and I made my dough a bit wetter than before - it was actually a bit sticky even though it sat for a few minutes, and I couldn't believe how much larger and puffier my dumplings became. They were already wonderful to begin with, but the added water really took them over the top for me. But I should mention that I was drying the dough out a bit by adding parsley and poultry seasoning to it. Leaving the dough drier tends to make much firmer and smaller dumplings for me.

For making pasta, however, I prefer the dough to be a bit drier.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #304
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
FINALLY ordered 2 bags of oat fiber!
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettebuff View Post
I wonder if they need any BP in them the dumplings may but I wonder about the noodles.
That's a good question. I suspect the dough doesn't need BP for pasta, but I'm afraid to try it. My pasta really doesn't swell much at all, but I tend to keep the dough on the drier side when that's what I'm making with it.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I was looking on amazon last night for an inexpensive pasta machine and came across a Spaetzle maker. I have never heard of Spaetzle before but it's German egg dumplings. The Spaetzle maker sort of looks like a flat cheese grater and it comes with a square hopper that you use to push the dough through into the oil or water to cook them. I was thinking it might work for these dumplings.

I know, another gadget right!! It was only $16 though, it's an idea I guess! lol
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I've foresworn acquiring any more small appliances. We sized down when we retired and my kitchen here just won't store one more appliance or dish. My cupboards are bulging at the seams and I'm anal about not liking appliances out on the counter tops.

But that sounds like a good deal, Gina. I was wondering if you might not be able to use a conventional hand operated potato ricer to squeeze this dough through. They have larger holes than a garlic press. I'd actually thought about getting one of those one day and trying it on this dough.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I was looking on amazon last night for an inexpensive pasta machine and came across a Spaetzle maker. I have never heard of Spaetzle before but it's German egg dumplings. The Spaetzle maker sort of looks like a flat cheese grater and it comes with a square hopper that you use to push the dough through into the oil or water to cook them. I was thinking it might work for these dumplings.

I know, another gadget right!! It was only $16 though, it's an idea I guess! lol
Look on YouTube for videos making spaetzle. I don't think the gluc mix will work with that gadget.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
I made the dumplings tonight for the first time and they were great. My kids loved them. We'll be making them again and playing around with seasonings.

It was perfect for a quick and easy dinner. I had some soup frozen that was just stock, carrots, greens, etc. I reheated it and put in the dumplings. Fast and easy and my kids were happy.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you all enjoyed these, Brittone. It is a super easy recipe if the broth is ready to go.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
does anybody think the dumplings would cook properly if used as a topping for chicken pot pie or would it be better to use BTF mix to make biscuit topping...?

I mean the dropped dough type of topping instead of a rolled crust, although it wouldn't hurt to get an answer to that as well...thanks JMCM1 for mentioning that.

Last edited by Deb34; 03-15-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
does anybody think the dumplings would cook properly if used as a topping for chicken pot pie or would it be better to use BTF mix to make biscuit topping...?
Interesting....

Personally I think I would enjoy the flavor of these dumplings more than cutting a bunch of butter into the BTF to make a pie crust....maybe. I would guess this to be another application where we would use Barbo's "happy mistake" of omitting the baking powder. But it seems the magic of these dumplings is simmering in liquid for the cooking process...

What have you all added to the "dough" to flavor the dumplings? My dumplings absorbed the chicken flavor of the broth in which they were cooked.

Interested to hear other thoughts.

Last edited by JMCM1; 03-15-2013 at 10:43 AM..
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #313
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Since I have 9 lbs of Lupin flour.

I thought I'd try some out in the dumplings. I cut down the BP to 1/2 tsp and added 1/2 tbsp of lupin flour to the recipe. I made large gnoccish shapes. Simmered on low heat with a little chicken boulion in the water for 20 minutes. The texture was fantastic! Very nice and firm.

Tomorrow I'll try and roll out some flat noodles and see how they turn out.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried baking some atop some cherry pie filling and the part that was exposed to the oven air cooked up tough and inedible, Deb. I would NOT recommend this dumpling dough for dry heat. Only total liquid submersion cooking.

Yaz, that's cool the lupin flour worked in these. I may try a little and see how I like that.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #315
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I really liked it with the lupin flour, it made the texture much firmer which is what I as going for. I was trying to make a "pasta" substitute and I like a firmer pasta.

I can't wait to try making fettuccine tomorrow.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I tried baking some atop some cherry pie filling and the part that was exposed to the oven air cooked up tough and inedible, Deb. I would NOT recommend this dumpling dough for dry heat. Only total liquid submersion cooking.
I tried this too and had the same result.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
What have you all added to the "dough" to flavor the dumplings? My dumplings absorbed the chicken flavor of the broth in which they were cooked. Interested to hear other thoughts.
If I'm making chicken and dumplings, I add a T. of ground poultry seasoning and a good pinch of fine parsley. I find I have to add more water when I do this. The dough should be a bit sticky.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
If I'm making chicken and dumplings, I add a T. of ground poultry seasoning and a good pinch of fine parsley. I find I have to add more water when I do this. The dough should be a bit sticky.
That sounds good - thank you!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
That sounds good - thank you!
You are quite welcome. :>)
Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
OMG, I'm in love with these. I've been making noodle dumplings for soup and I even did some rough-cut noodles for a red pasta sauce and it was delightful. Very filling!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
Start Date: Jan 2013
Well I started JUDD today and it was my DD. Tomorrow is my UP and I did cook a whole chicken today and have the nicest broth. I think tomorrow will be dumplings or I may get brave and make the noodles. Love these dumplings!
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #322
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, so everytime I come on LCF this thread is bumped. The one time I come on here to say "I GOT MY OAT FIBER!!!!!!!!!!", It's not bumped -_-.

I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I like these. I'm making them tonight. I bought 2 bags of oat fiber so I hope I do.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bet you will love them- they are such a great surprise! And now - even noodles!

Then you'll have to go over to Ouizoid's Fantastic Flour thread because it also uses oat fiber and WOW - little cakes and biscuits!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #324
Big Yapper!!!!

Is the original recipe the best one to use?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #325
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Regarding the dumplings? I think so - the only thing I did after reading the posts was to let them sit out for several minutes before cooking. Maybe add a little poultry seasoning to the dough if you like that flavor.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #326
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok thank you Judy.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
subscribing
AddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #328
Big Yapper!!!!

Buttoni I love you. I was so skeptical, idk just because most lc recipes don't work out perfectly the first time lol.

I started out with:
a pot of water
3 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 chopped stalks of celery
1/2 a medium yellow onion chopped
About 1 1/2 cup sliced carrot
1tbsp garlic powder
1tbsp dehydrated parsley flakes
1tsp salt
1tsp black pepper

I put it all in the pot and let cook for about an hour until the chicken breast was cooked. I then made the dumplings according to Buttoni's original recipe, but added 1/8 tsp parsley flakes and 1/8 tsp garlic powder. I made them into balls with my hand, I got 13 instead of 12. I let them rest for about 5 minutes while I took the chicken breast out of the pot, and brought the liquid to a rolling simmer, not a hard boil. I then added the dumplings and shut the lid, timed for exactly 10 minutes. Boy oh boy did I want to open that darn pot. I didn't, and after 10 minutes I was like a little kid wanting to see how they looked. It was so cool and amazing. 13 huge dumplings just floating there, looking so delicious. They just about doubled in size.

When I originally rolled them out I was like, yeah, I can eat all of these. After they cooked, I shredded the chicken and added it back, made a bowl with 3 dumplings, and hardly was able to eat all that. The dumplings didn't have much flavor but they were really good. As soon as I bit into them all kinds of ideas flew in my head, so expect recipes to follow soon.

I let the dumplings hang out in the pot until it cooled so I could put it up, and when I was putting it up I tasted one and it was amazing. The flavor of the soup infused with the dumpling and it finally had flavor.

I brought a huge bowl to work today so I expect the dumplings to be more amazing. I'll take a picture of it when I make my lunch.

Buttoni you may have created a monster (well you all know I'm a recipe monster anyways, but now I have a new obsession lol). I just hope these are great for weight loss as the shiratake are.

I'm thinking dumplings cooked in broth, just to cook the dumplings, and making a cheesy casserole bake with them maybe. Or chocolate dumplings, with walden farms strawberry syrup. Hmmmmmm. Sounds delicious to me.

ETA: I forgot, I did change the original recipe from 3/4 tsp baking powder to 1/2 tsp baking powder, as I remember a few people in here saying 1/2 tsp seems to work better. Worked great for me.

Last edited by MsWoods; 03-21-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #329
Big Yapper!!!!

What does someone think about trying to make this recipe?:
~French Toast Dumplings…Simmered in Maple Syrup! | Oh Bite It
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #330
Big Yapper!!!!

Last edited by MsWoods; 03-21-2013 at 10:06 AM..