Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trishagrrl
HELP! Freezer Recipe ideas!?

Hi! I'm in dire need of some great kid-friendly freezer meal ideas. My husband and I are going out of state for 8 days and my in-laws have very graciously offered to keep our 4 kids (8 years, 4 years, and twin 19 month olds).

Our whole family has been gluten free (and mostly grain free) for over a year now. We recently found out our two oldest have a corn allergy and my oldest also has a dairy allergy. The corn isn't too big of a deal, other than it's something that I'd occasionally let the two older ones have for a treat when with grandparents or whatever (popcorn, corn tortillas, tortilla chips, etc). We have officially cut the allergens out now. I know meals are going to be very difficult for the grandparents since they eat the typically standard american diet - heavy grains, sugars, processed garbage, and low-fat.

I really want to have meals all ready to go for two reasons. 1) I know it will be tiring for them to keep up with the kiddos and I'd like to do anything I can to make things easier. 2) I don't want them to have to worry about staying away from allergens. I want everything to be all laid out for them.

So... my kids do eat some beans. So I thought I'd make chili and put in the freezer. Meatballs can sometimes be a hit, but the sauce I usually put over them had cream in them so I need a new sauce (preferably one that can be frozen). I also thought I'd do navy beans and also stew. Any other ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Have you looked over Linda's web site? She has lots of meals that you can freeze. I often make them up without the final oven baking. Then I thaw, and nuke individual portions as needed.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Google: gluten free & dairy free freezer meals onceamonthmom
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Here is one for OAMC . You can look to see if your needs are there.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...challenge.html

This one I like because you can make meatloves any way you want. I never put filler in mine.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...rrel-away.html

I second Linda Sue's recipes. A roasted chicken and then frozen is great for grandma. Good luck Grandma and Grandpa.Also make cookies for snacks. and freeze.

There are plenty more if you do a search.

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 01-07-2013 at 06:38 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
There are dozens and dozens of recipes in this article which focuses on freezable crock-pot meals for families. Although it is not a low carb focused article, almost all of them are childs play to adapt. The possible exceptions are those with beans or fruit. I have already called my LC daughter on reading these yesterday to arrange a crock-pot date (sorta like a play-date for me ). She has a young family and they are ALWAYS on a budget. This is perfect for them! In addition to the recipes, it provides step by step preparation tips and some of them even include printable labels for your freezer bags that include last minute additions, i.e., "Add 1/2 cup soy sauce".

google: Second Chance to Dream: Back to School Freezer Slow Cooker Meals
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trishagrrl
Thanks guys! I'm going to start looking through recipes. The hardest part is so many of our staples include dairy I'm going to miss it!
Trishagrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Trish I do a lot of recipes without dairy. I use canned coconut milk and almond milk. Sometimes I use xantham or gaur gums to thicken a recipe.

There is also a recipe for dairy free yogurt.

But if you can eat say I think there is a lot out there with soy.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I just froze half a batch of spaghetti squash casserole. I think that's a good freezer meal. Think "baked spaghetti" but with the squash.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote