Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
swordfish recipe anyone?

DH impulsively bought a pound of swordfish filets today and I don't have any idea how to cook them! Most of the swordfish I have ever had has been dry and tough and flavorless, but once in awhile, I have tasted it where it was succulent and melt-in-your mouth. Any ideas?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Diana when I made it years ago I use to broil it in butter and herbs.I'm trying to remember how long. I think 10 to 15 mins. And I'm really into fresh herbs.I use to make snapper, swordfish, orange roughy,flounder. OOOOOOOYum!!

I had more fish in Vegas than I do here in the Great Northwest. But I don't know where to find it yet.

I hope that helps.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Ether! I grew up 2 miles from the ocean and we had fish several times a week--caught by my dad with a rod-and-reel in the surf. My mother used to coat them in cornmeal and fry them to death and we were picking bones out of our teeth for an hour.

I never had really good fish until she discovered how to cook these huge sheepheads my father started catching by spear-fishing from the bridge. She baked them whole with garlic and herbs and vegetables, and they were amazing. I love baking large fish this way and searing salmon on the grill, but swordfish filets intimidate me! I will try your broiling method with fresh herbs. Sound yummy!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I'd be willing to bet that what your husband brought home would be swordfish steaks, not filets, as swordfish are HUGE critters!

The general rule of thumb for cooking fish is 8 minutes per inch of thickness - so if your steaks are 1" thick, cook 4 minutes per side.

I like them broiled, then served with tartar sauce with lots of capers. Just brush them with a bit of good olive oil or melted butter, sprinkle on a little garlic salt, and broil following the above rule, and it should be done nicely.

I don't eat the dark part, it's very fishy-tasting, but otherwise I adore swordfish.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I'd be willing to bet that what your husband brought home would be swordfish steaks, not filets, as swordfish are HUGE critters!

The general rule of thumb for cooking fish is 8 minutes per inch of thickness - so if your steaks are 1" thick, cook 4 minutes per side.

I like them broiled, then served with tartar sauce with lots of capers. Just brush them with a bit of good olive oil or melted butter, sprinkle on a little garlic salt, and broil following the above rule, and it should be done nicely.

I don't eat the dark part, it's very fishy-tasting, but otherwise I adore swordfish.
Thanks, Charski! I love capers and I bet that will add a whole new dimension to swordfish. I'll have to look on the packet that he brought home to see if they are filets or steaks--he swears they are filets. But it sounds like simple is the way to go. We are going to have them tomorrow or the next night.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'm bettin they are steaks too.

have you made them Diana?
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I froze them since I had bought some fresh sockeye salmon at the same time. We had that last night, just seared on my cast-iron griddle with a little garlic and salt and pepper and butter. they were great! Will probably do the swordfish next week.