Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Mmmm guacamole!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/792818-mmmm-guacamole.html)

Bamboozled 01-04-2013 01:48 PM

Mmmm guacamole!!

I am in love with guac! I make a very simple guac with just garlic, lemon and salt and pepper. My doctor encouraged me to eat it since I am having some bowel problems and need the fiber. Okay doc!~ Whatever you say :>

I find it amusing that I can sit down and just straight up eat guacamole by itself when before I could only ever imagine eating it with chips.

I love it as a "sauce" for chicken too. I'll make up a few avocadoes and then that is my condiment for the next few days.

mmmm I think I will go make some right now :)

:sing:

Omphaloskeptical 01-04-2013 01:54 PM

Agreed! I love avocados in every form. I can eat them everyday for everyday meal. i especially like homemade guac. I put freshly chopped garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper. Yummmm!!!!!

shelby'snana 01-04-2013 02:00 PM

I have 2 huge ones in the fridge now ! Thanks for reminding me :)

limetwist 01-04-2013 02:19 PM

And to think, I used to eat around the guacamole that came with my fajitas. For years. Because it was icky. And fatty (bad for you, don'tcha know). Oh, and I'll take three extra tortillas, please! Sigh. If only I had just let that tangy green mush seduce me sooner. ;)

I like to use it in lieu of salad dressing. It also works as a delicious pork rind dip!

Bamboozled 01-04-2013 02:27 PM

Salad dressing huh!??!! I might have to try that! I have some iceberg that is turning bad.

Mobird 01-04-2013 02:31 PM

Guacamole is one of my favorite treats! I love to smother a turkey cheddar burger with it, and I love sliced avocado with my chicken salad. I can't imagine low carb without it.

Gymnopedie 01-04-2013 02:33 PM

Yummers. Want.

ladyinlove56 01-04-2013 02:41 PM

Love it here too...I put alittle chopped tomatoes and sweet onion and little tabasco sauce..

cfine 01-04-2013 03:00 PM

I am an avocado nut too!! I just started making it in my "pudding" and it is a new, wonderful way to eat it. I could literally eat an avocado on anything...salads, meats. Here's my recipe for avocado pudding just in case you'd like to try it.

1 avocado
1/4cup cocoa
1/4cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
1/4cup eritihtol(or whatever sweetener you like)
5-10 drops liquid stevia(again whatever sweetener you like. I like mine really sweet.)
splash of vanilla extract

mix it all together and you have a little taste of paradise. I like to mix up some HWC to put on top.

shelby'snana 01-04-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16171864)
I am an avocado nut too!! I just started making it in my "pudding" and it is a new, wonderful way to eat it. I could literally eat an avocado on anything...salads, meats. Here's my recipe for avocado pudding just in case you'd like to try it.

1 avocado
1/4cup cocoa
5-10 drops liquid stevia(again whatever sweetener you like. I like mine really sweet.)

mix it all together and you have a little taste of paradise. I like to mix up some HWC to put on top.

Is that one serving ?

What can I use in place of the almond/co milk ?

Does it taste like choc pudding ?

cfine 01-04-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Is that one serving ?

What can I use in place of the almond/co milk ?

Does it taste like choc pudding ?
I usually make it into two serving @ four net carbs per serving. You could substitute some HWC mixed with water so your carb count wouldn't go up. There's only 1 net carb in a whole cup of the coconut milk that I use. It tastes just like a dark chocolate pudding to me. I had tried a version of this recipe many months ago and I didn't like it. I'm so glad I took a chance and tried this particular recipe because it's so tasty.

shelby'snana 01-04-2013 03:48 PM

thanks so much !

Pompom2 01-04-2013 04:26 PM

Love it too

clackley 01-05-2013 05:40 AM

For a truly lazy guac, try mixing in a tbsp or 2 of salsa!

I make a big batch and then freeze on a tray in little piles on wax paper and then move to a container for later use.

My current favorite is avocado salad which is avocado, chopped tomato, a bit of red onion and homemade Italian dressing. When I have time (or the inclination) I fry up a couple of strips of bacon and crumble over top. A bit of freshly grated parmesan is great as well!!

Another good one is avocado soup which tastes a bit like split pea soup to me...

1 avocado
bouillon or broth (I like to use my own chicken stock)
chopped fresh garlic (1 small clove)
dash of hot sauce
1 tsp. cider vinegar

Using a blender (submersible is the simplest) puree all of the above ingredients. Heat to a simmer and add 1 tsp. bacon fat and a bit of chopped up ham.

AngeloftheHeart 01-05-2013 05:50 AM

I'm going to start trying to throw them in more with my cooking. I really do love how creative I get to be with what I eat:D

I made up a salad the other day on a bed of dark green letuce, cooked chicken breast, avocado, feta cheese and some ranch. Oh how I was in low carb heaven!!!!! I'm thinking some bacon would be super delish on this too:up::yummy:

Vilya 01-05-2013 05:51 AM

My favorite Mexican place does tableside guac-making! You pick your avocados and tell them what you want in it, and they make it for you fresh right there. SO GOOD.

someonelikeyou 01-05-2013 06:54 AM

Guacamole in an omelet is really good too! I like to make it with a lot of garlic!!

princessmommy 01-05-2013 07:24 AM

Love Guac! I make some and eat it with pork rines for lunch sometimes. I usually get the avacodos at Aldis cause they are cheaper there. Soo yum!

enna1477 01-05-2013 08:09 AM

Avocado, cream cheese, bacon, and sprouts rolled up in a LC tortilla! HEAVEN! If I'm feeling frisky I'll throw in some black olives and sunflower seed too!

sya_unit 01-05-2013 09:16 AM

Avocados are the best. Hass avocados picked from my nana's yard are the best. I like avocado at every meal. Now I have 1/4 of an avocado with lunch and same for dinner. Almost everything is better with avocado in it. I can remember watching my grandfather eat a half of an avocado with catsup on it. Mom mom does that too. I just like it with salt on it. Guacamole is good too. Little pico sauce, lots of avocado, squeeze of lime,

shelby'snana 01-05-2013 09:26 AM

Vilya ~ being from south texas, I know the place and the food and all their stuff is amazing ! We have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get there, but when we go to Houston shopping 9 times out of 10 we eat there :) !!

cfine 01-05-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Avocados are the best. Hass avocados picked from my nana's yard are the best
How I wish I had an avocado tree!! I dream of it. I would have to move to a different climate though :)

Vilya 01-05-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelby'snana (Post 16173378)
Vilya ~ being from south texas, I know the place and the food and all their stuff is amazing ! We have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get there, but when we go to Houston shopping 9 times out of 10 we eat there :) !!

The place I'm talking about is outside of Dallas and is not a chain, it's an independent little place. :)

But I'm glad you have a spot for it too! Pretty much anything in TX is going to be good. :D

shelby'snana 01-05-2013 10:05 AM

oh...sorry ! :) Thought you were talking bout our place ! Haha ! But yep, Texas does have the best ;)

Garden 01-05-2013 03:40 PM

Love Avocados !!!!!!! Check out all the avocado "pins" and "boards" on Pinterest !!! Love Pinterest too !!!

Rhubarb 01-05-2013 05:04 PM

Wow. That pudding is amazing. It tastes better than chocolate ganache.

I'm going to have to be careful here ... :p

Serenity_Rose 01-05-2013 06:07 PM

I can happily eat an avocado straight out of the shell with a spoon, so yes, guacamole makes me a very happy camper :D

I rarely get to make my own, because avocados are SO expensive around here, but the pre-made stuff in little vacuum sealed pouches is a very good substitute. No junk or fillers, and much cheaper. :up:

biancasteeplechase 01-05-2013 06:38 PM

I usually make guacamole with some cumin, red pepper, salt, garlic, and lime juice. (I've tried more elaborate recipes, but they never seemed to compare with letting the flavor of the avocados come through as much as possible.)

Vilya 01-06-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

1 avocado
1/4cup cocoa

I've seen a lot of recipes for avocado chocolate pudding, but this one seems the least "fussy" to me, so I'm going to try it. I didn't like avocados before I started LC, but I do now! I need to get the avocado and some almond milk, and then I will make and report back. :)

Buffy45 01-06-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

1 avocado
1/4cup cocoa

OMG, thank you, thank you, thank you. :notwrthy::notwrthy: I have noticed recipes for this off and on but could not think it could taste like chocolate pudding. I finally tried it today and I love it. Wow. This will be a favorite of mine!!!