Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Lol You're very funny.

They are at Dollar tree. Light blue tops with clear bottoms.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Lol You're very funny.

They are at Dollar tree. Light blue tops with clear bottoms.
Yeah,.. what Really? I saw some shallow containers with blue lids, but they were not compartmentalized. They also said freezer safe but not microwave safe, but the green ones say microwave safe but not freezer safe.... I'll bet they both are the same and the labeling is obscure. I bought two to test them in the freezer/microwave to see if they hold up then go back and get some more.

The really shallow small one cup rounds say both freezer and nuker safe. I use them to freeze serving sizes of soup, but I always pop them out of the container with warm water and put them into a real bowl to heat. The shallow meal containers will need to be able to be heated in the nuker without losing integrity, like the black plastic ones. I hope they are suitable. Thanks for verifying your find.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Mine have 4 compartments.

I have the ones you are talking about too. I use them to hold my fabric wipies. LOL......
Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Mine have 4 compartments.

I have the ones you are talking about too. I use them to hold my fabric wipies. LOL......
*gasp* What a good Idea!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #35

Another tidbit of info for freezing: Eggs.
The funny thing is going to a thread where someone asks about freezing eggs and all of the responses say "Don't freeze eggs, cook them fresh, yada. " . Obviously you CAN freeze scrambled eggs cause there are dozens of frozen breakfast scrambles out there. I just had the Farmhouse Style Sausage Scramble and the texture was a soft scramble.

I didn't like the flavor at first but after a few bites the flavors blended and I really enjoyed it.... I added some extra cheddar!!!!

Anyway. the tidbit for freezing scrambled eggs is....

Do Not Add any Liquids to the scrambled eggs in prepping!
I think also, you'd want to cook it soft scrambled so that the reheating doesn't over cook it.

I'm thinking, and this hasn't been verified by anyone. That I'd want to cook the seasoned scrambled egg separately, then freeze it, then crumble it more while frozen and then add the shredded cheddar and precooked crumbled sausage and Pre-frozen veggie bits(I think the veggies would have to be cooked and seasoned and Pre-frozen so they won't be too crunchy, like onions and bell peppers for example. Maybe cook a whole batch of chopped seasoned veggies just for freezer meal prepping!).

I don't know why I think this way except that I fear a huge mass that won't heat to the center if it's too dense. By freezing it in crumbles, each crumble of ingredient will be heated equally instead of being imprisoned by a frozen mass and the outside over cooking while the inside stays frozen. i guess I'm thinking the same way about having the veggies and meats be smaller bites.

Last edited by metqa; 01-05-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Metga, good point about office-appropriate/acceptable lunches. People who don't work outside the home are lucky that way, I think -- as long as your lunch smells good to you, you're all set! (I was laid off at the end of the year, so my lunches are going to be at home for a while. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something where I can work from home. At any rate, having full kitchen access 24/7 is not good for me. Portion control and a nukable lunch might help.)

Anyway, yes, from my office days here in the Midwest, I'd say these things are not on the microwavable menu:
--anything with fish of any kind prepared in any way
--anything with indian spices that isn't a soup/stew; these seem to waft a little less
--anything fermented (i am not a fan and had a cubicle neighbor that was. . . ish)
--husband says brocolli, lots of onion/garlic, but i think that first point is arguable

kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
Thanks for the Dollar Tree tip on containers - I'll have to check it out.

For freezer containers for things I make in bulk and freeze to have just one side serving or breakfast serving of (we are a house of 2 and only 1 lcarber), like "baked" soy beans, cauliflower mushroom stuffing, cauli rice, or lc chili, I have a strong preference for 8 oz. round "extreme freeze" reditainers. They're not too deep, go in the dishwasher top-shelf, are BPA free, and don't absorb odors, and I think they do a better job blocking freezer burn than the disposable gladware I used to use. Also they look like fancy deli food containers, which for some reason makes me happy when I open the freezer. (I buy these from Amazon. Make sure you get the extreme freeze ones, not the regular.)

Reditainer is supposed to start making 12 oz. extreme freeze containers this year (they do have larger ones already), but I think they're going to be too deep for the ultimate frozen lc meal.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Another container source might be a wholesale place like Costco or Sam's Club, or a restaurant supply place like Smart and Final, etc.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Costco has/had Snapware Glasslock containers. I quit nuking plastic quite awhile ago and send leftover in these containers now.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #40

has anyone actually made beef merlot before. Does it really call for half a bottle of red wine???
was watching a video for beef merlot with red wine and wow.

except for the flour and the carrots, do you think this could be a viable recipe for the beef merlot? I figure that we'd blanch the broccoli separately and add it after the meat and sauce is completely cooked. Does the cooking remove the alcohol? I guess we have to look at the carb count of the wine, but isn't it mostly alcohol? I dunno.

I've already got my chuck roast in the oven baking for Roast beast, I might buy another chuck roast to cut up to make this. They are on sale this week at Kroger. As well as chicken breast, though thigh does seem to weather freezing better...

Does anyone know what to do with a Boston Butt?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Boston butt = pork shoulder. Carnitas, BBQ, any slow cooked dish.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #42

Thanks Soobee!

so.... any suggestions for freezer meals made with slow cooked pork?

ETA: Oh, yeah, lean pork tenderloins make great pork medallions. I put one in the freezer, and when it was mostly frozen I took my big knife and sliced it 1/4 inch slices, i was perfect little rounds of pork that were easy to portion into meals. I didn't have to cook the whole thing at once if I didn't want, or I could cook the slices and they cooked quickly, and didn't turn too tough, Just about the time I browned each side the center was cooked and tender.

Last edited by metqa; 01-06-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #43

Hey Rosethorn, I went back to the Dollar Tree and found the compartment containers. Turns out they were the same all along, but the way the cardboard was wrapped it looked like a one container square. It has one smaller pocket and one larger pocket. Perfect for entree and side of veggie. I bought a bunch cause I'm gonna make a batch of beef and veg meals: Beef and: Broccoli ( blanched), Green Beans and Almonds ( blanched), Peppers and onions (prefrozen), and Squash and Zuke ( blanched or pan fried). If i find my camera, I'll take pics.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Metga, I have made recipes from the site of Chef John (who's video you posted)... he comes up with good stuff, I have enjoyed the things I made. I have made beef bourguignon before and 2 cups of wine or 1/2 a bottle of wine sounds about right.

I would do mashed cauliflower with the beef merlot... I'm surprised Atkins didnt do whipped cauliflower in any of their freezer meals!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #45

I made a Cabernet sauvignon sauce since that's what I had instead of merlot, based off of that video. For stock I used the pan drippings from the chuck roast I cooked yesterday. So half of the meals have a basic beefy mushroom sauce and the other half have a Sauvingnon Sauce. I sauteed some baby portabello mushrooms to top the beef, and spooned about 3T of sauce over that, and the veggie was either blanched broccoli or blanched green beans with butter and toasted almonds.

Tomorrow or whenever, with the squash I bought and the bell peppers, I'll probably do something either chicken or pork, but for now there are about Beef and veggie meals in my freezer. I don't know the calorie counts exactly, but I can estimate. There are 50g of broccoli or 100g of green bean ( a very generous helping compared to the store ones) and 3.5 oz of beef, and 3 T of sauce which is made of mushroom soup mix, water, spices, and defatted meat juice ( i peeled the layer of cooled fat from the top after it had been refrigerated.) I'd have to figure out the amounts and divide by 10 to get the individual counts, but I don't really care to do the details this late.

I've tasted it as I cooked so I know it tastes decent, not as good as the store ones, but hey, I'm trying at least!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Good for you!!!
Beef , chicken merlot freeze well. Don't forget a lot of Linda's recipes you can freeze.

You're doing great Metga
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #47

Oh, I love me some Linda Sue Recipes. I don't even have to think about making extras of those and freezing them, if they are freezable that is and if I don't eat it all up in two days.

Okay, I'm eating my first homemade frozen lunch meal. 3 minutes in the microwave, then stir it a bit, then one more minute.

I'm having Beef sauvignon with mushrooms and broccoli stalks. I had fresh broccoli and didn't want to discard the stalks so they are long. Next time I'll get crowns and mix it into the sauce. Or try frozen florets.

Lesse, the broccoli was crisp last night, a bit too crisp, but after freezing, it's a bit softer but still with a crisp texture. If I blanch again, I might do it for less time as i'm not sure if it's the freezing or the 4 min of reheating that made it softer. It's fine to me but I'd want to be able to control the texture for different dishes and I, so far, dont know where to make changes. I actually enjoy eating the broccoli separately from the meat and sauce, it tastes fresher that way...and since I blanched it in salt water, it has a good flavor on it's own.

The nice thing about the meat is that I know the texture ahead of time cause I cooked it. No surprises. and I thickened the sauce with glucomannon, so it has a bit of body to it.and I love having the mushrooms, the texture is a nice contrast to the stewed meat.

Yay, I'm happy with this first installment.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
has anyone actually made beef merlot before. Does it really call for half a bottle of red wine???
was watching a video for beef merlot with red wine and wow.

Great Recipe Beef Merlot Braised In Red Wine - YouTube

except for the flour and the carrots, do you think this could be a viable recipe for the beef merlot? I figure that we'd blanch the broccoli separately and add it after the meat and sauce is completely cooked. Does the cooking remove the alcohol? I guess we have to look at the carb count of the wine, but isn't it mostly alcohol? I dunno.

I've already got my chuck roast in the oven baking for Roast beast, I might buy another chuck roast to cut up to make this. They are on sale this week at Kroger. As well as chicken breast, though thigh does seem to weather freezing better...

Does anyone know what to do with a Boston Butt?
I am making this today. What was that horse noise in the video
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #49

Photo!

Okay, it's been almost a week and I grabbed one of my Frozen meals from the Freezer to taste test again.

A lot of water ended up frosted on the lid and surfaces. I was worried there might be frostburn since I have a frost free freezer. But there was no bad taste or texture.

It cooked up in 3.5 min. Actually, I'll have to be better about not stacking the meat because there was still a cool spot where two pieces of meat had stacked and couldn't get hot, but the rest was piping hot!

The broccoli still has a fresh crisp taste, and the meat actually seems a bit more tender. The sauce I used glucomannon and it didn't break down at all so it's still thick and saucy. My broccoli looks yellow because it it. I took too long to cook it so it wasn't the best color, but if I had blanced it as soon as i brought it home instead of 3 days later, it would have been perfect green. So the fact is, it didn't get any worse for being frozen!

So this was 3.5oz of chuck roast and 50g of broccoli plus sauvignon sauce and 2 sliced and sauteed baby portabella mushrooms and a wee bit of sliced onion that had cooked with the meat.. It's really tasty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Food_0001.jpg (88.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Wow metqa. That looks just like the Lean Quisine Steak Tips Portobello meal lol. I know it's supposed to be an Atkins thread, but that's just what it looks like.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #51

I know, Well, I do like the Steak Tips Portobello meal and that's what inspired me to try it! You've got a keen Eye! LOL I was like " What is the tip of a steak anyway!?"

The first thing that occurred to me when I nuked it was the smell of the broccoli, but then some people will be offended by anything so I shouldn't worry about broccoli since it's generally accepted by all. I haven't cooked any more meals yet, but I'm thinking of more simple ideas to make
Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

I swear as soon as I get some money I'm going to participate lol. I went to the store yesterday and threw 3 Atkins meals in my cart, then I said ummmmmm, no, that's $12 lol. That's just too much for these little meals right now.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #53

Yeah, the cost is prohibitive. Well, yeah, you can buy cheaper frozen meals, but look at what's in them! My mom was like "I can buy a $2 blah blah meal" and I was like" All it is is pasta and sauce and you can buy a box of pasta and a cheap jar of sauce for $2 and still get more..."

The Chuck Roast I bought cost $18 and it was on sale for $4.50/lb but it made a bunch of meals.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DragnflysWife
Whoohoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
This thread is dedicated to trying to re-create the new Atkins Frozen Cuisine Meals. A bunch of us that like the meals thought it would be fun so here we are!
I absolutely love the chickenpot pie. I just sent my son to Wallys to get some more. I make most of my meals but a guilty pleasure of mine has always been frozen pot pies. So I am hooked.
DragnflysWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #55

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
metqa, is that one of the frozen dinner containers from Dollar Tree that everyone's been talking about?
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mews
I have been freezing my meals for a long time I live alone and still like to cook good food nothing goes to waste in my home.Thanksgiving my small family were over and I froze a complete turkey dinner and ate it in January It was very tasty and not dry.
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
metqa, is that one of the frozen dinner containers from Dollar Tree that everyone's been talking about?
yes, it is. It's pretty cool. It has a lot of room. I could put twice what you see in there and it'd still close.

Here is another meal. Chuck Roast in Mushroom Sauce with Portabella and a side of Green beans with toasted almonds and butter. It's 3.5 oz of meat, 3T of Sauce, 2 baby bellas, 100g of blanched green beans, 2T of almonds and 1t butter. Some day I'll go put that on a tracker and figure it out....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg food_0001_1.jpg (62.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MzMelissa
Stats: Highest: 434 restart 343/263/180
WOE: wls, low carb
Start Date: Aug 15, 2010
I agree that in a perfect world I would live on Linda Sues recipes, they are amazing. For the bad news, as a hairstylist with 6 kids I am loving the convenience of Atkins frozen meals, what has always been the hardest thing is getting caught unprepared. Thanks everyone for the ideas maybe I can get more preparation done on my days off.
MzMelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #59

Another meal, not based on a frozen version though.

Some boneless skinless chicken thighs on sale. A crockpot, 8 oz of mushrooms, a shredded onion sauteed, and a package of Spinach Dip Seasoning.

I had intended to grab the Vegetable soup packet, but I picked the wrong envelope. But it tasted great, salty, but great.

I bought a whole bag of prepicked, washed ready to eat green beans and blanched all of them, then cut them up small and froze them. Now I have a bag of frozen green beans ready to add to a frozen meal container. I think the ones from the store are not actually cooked enough for eating just preheating, Im not sure. but home blanching them in salt water means they are ready to eat, vs bland flavored from the store frozen bags. Since I eat the beans with no sauce I like that. If I made a gravy or sauce, I could probably use the store frozen veggies since the sauce would have salt and seasoning in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001_17.jpg (65.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

That looks so good Metqa. And your green beans look crispy.