Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Best Way to Pound Chicken Breasts (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/792677-best-way-pound-chicken-breasts.html)

PennyPrepper 01-02-2013 09:55 PM

Best Way to Pound Chicken Breasts

What is the best way to pound chicken breasts? I'm using a wooden mallet with the chicken in a ziploc bag. The problem is that pounding it thin enough pulverizes the chicken. If I don't pulverize it gets too thick and not good for cutlets and rollups. What am I doing wrong? TIA

watcher513 01-03-2013 02:58 AM

Butterfly it first. Carefully cut a slit Across the piece at the thickest part but don't go all the way through. Try to cut it so each side is about the same thickness. Then flip it open then you can pound it easier. This way, it's a more uniform shape to start with.

rosethorns 01-03-2013 06:06 AM

Watcher has the way to do it.

Sometimes it'll still shred. Pound and smear and it'll get thinner. There's a nack to it. Good luck.

muncheechee 01-03-2013 06:12 AM

If you slice off the very top of the chicken breast (the shiny membrane), it will pound much easier. I recently learned that trick from one of the food network chefs and it works like a charm.

The Chicken Lady 01-03-2013 10:19 AM

I was watching reruns of The Two Fat Ladies a while back and one Lady put some crackers in a plastic bag and threw them on the floor and stomped on them, I was rolling on the floor laughing. Then I got to thinking hay that might be an easy way to tenderize round steak....or chicken for that matter. LOL

PennyPrepper 01-03-2013 05:29 PM

Thanks, I'll try your tips!

Dottie 01-04-2013 04:25 AM

Use the flat side of the mallet, not the spikey side, too :)

PennyPrepper 01-04-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16170345)
Use the flat side of the mallet, not the spikey side, too :)

I do use the flat side. :D

shirlc 01-04-2013 12:43 PM

How about using a meat tenderizer (tool, not the stuff in the bottle)?

watcher513 01-05-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlc (Post 16171566)
How about using a meat tenderizer (tool, not the stuff in the bottle)?

Good idea but it won't flatten it, just put holes in it so marinade sinks in. They are a great tool to have and make things really tender.

watcher513 01-05-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennyPrepper (Post 16171531)
I do use the flat side. :D

LOL, don't hit it so hard on the thinner part. I can just see you whacking the heck out of it.

dianafoot 01-06-2013 05:31 AM

I got tired of pounding the chicken breasts whenever I wanted to make chicken picatta. Now I slice the breasts horizontally into thin slices and I find that it is easier to do and cooks much better that way.

dianafoot 01-08-2013 10:41 AM

When I want to slice them thin for recipes, I put them into the freezer for about 1/2-1 hour and let them get partially frozen. They are much easier to slice very thin this way.

RVlady 01-08-2013 12:15 PM

I place the chicken into a bread wrapper bag. First, I'll drip in a few drops of water in the middle of the bag and try to put the chicken on top of the water. Then I drizzle a few drops of water on top of the chicken breast. Awhile back, I read somewhere that using a little bit of water helps the chicken slide around a little bit and help keep it from shredding. If the chicken breasts I'm using are huge, I will slice them in half horizontally and then lenghtwise prior to pounding them out. I also fold the top of the bread wrapper back before putting the chicken in. Very easy this way. I do the same thing with pork tenderloin.
Connie

Speck333 01-08-2013 06:39 PM

Put it in the ziplock and then pound it with a good heavy pan or rolling pin. Tada.