Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
What do you make for company?

Just looking for ideas for when we entertain so we can keep it lc and they won't really notice the lack of bread.
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Start with a pureed veggie soup (with cream if you like). If you toss in some roast cauliflower before pureeing, it will thicken nicely. Sprinkle some crumbled bacon on top instead of crackers or croutons.

For the main course, some kind of meat, pureed cauliflower (with cream, butter, and cheese! Brown the top a bit under the broiler), and a green veg or salad.

Berries and whipped cream, or other low carb dessert.

No one will miss bread.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
To start: Lox rolled around cream cheese, sprinkled with capers, red onion, served with a little arugula
Main course: Jamie Oliver's lemony, garlicy roast chicken
Veggies: cauliflower cheese (1 big cauliflower steamed and cut up, then tossed with 8 oz of cream cheese, 4 oz of grated gruyere or sharp cheddar, 2 oz of cream, salt and pepper, baked until bubbly). Plus a green veggies: either green beans or spinach sauteed with olive oil and garlic, or a large tossed salad.
Dessert: low carb lemon mousse with berries.
I do always serve some nice bread and butter for the guests. And I make a balsamic reduction sauce for the chicken, by reducing balsamic vinegar by half, then stirring in butter and some of the chicken drippings.

Last edited by tiva; 01-03-2013 at 02:11 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
subbing ! Good ideas here
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Main course: Jamie Oliver's lemony, garlicy roast chicken.
Do you have this recipe? This sounds amazing.

Last time I had company for an LC meal, I made a chuck roast that was cooked low and slow all day, mashed cauli, and gravy from the roast drippings, and roasted asparagus. Mmmm.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
My Dad doesn't feel a meal is complete without bread and butter on the table. (age 75 and pre-diabetic) When my parents come to visit, I make a LC sweet bread for him. I have made zucchini, lemon poppy seed, banana nut, and pumpkin quick breads so he still has a bread with dinner.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Chicken breast pan fried in garlic and oil, topped with a little parmesan and pasta sauce with a side french cut green beans (drain well, saute in garlic, butter and if you like, some crushed pepper flakes) along with a nice tossed salad.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I make a mean roast chicken so I typically serve that with a big salad, homemade dressing and garlic bread. It makes it easy for me to avoid the bread but everyone else can enjoy. If I do appetizers, its usually cheese and olives or veggies and dip, something along those lines.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
To start a salad with cukes, HB egg, sunflower seeds, shredded cheese and ranch or spinach salad with HB eggs and parm (chopped bacon optional) with ranch or ceasar dressing.

Main: Steak with loaded green beans (topped with butter, sour cream, shredded cheese and bacon).

Dessert SF LC Cheesecake, various flavors available, pumpkin, chocolate chip, SF peppermint, ect. Or you could do a simple chocolate mousse made with 1 cup of SF chocolate pudding, 8oz. cream cheese, and any flavor davinci syrup to correct consistency, top with whipped cream and SF chocolate shavings.

Mindy

Last edited by Iwantlessofme; 01-05-2013 at 04:36 PM..
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
For company, I tend to bake or grill meats/seafood. Casseroles are good, but not pretty enough for company. Personal hangup of mine about the appearance of casseroles. Just not too visually appealing in my opinion.

Along with the grilled meat or seafood I usually serve a nice green vegetable and some sort of salad.

My husband almost always wants me to serve bakery bread when we have guests, but I usually have some sort of LC bread in the fridge I can heat and butter for myself.

Whenever we do grilled steak, I ALWAYS buy a potato to bake for the non-LC people at the table. That's what MOST people want with a grilled steak. I just make sure I either cook my Smoked Gouda Cauliflower Casserole or Mashed Cauliflower, offering it to them as well if they care to have some.

I also like to do curries for company since they are so easy, and serve mine over mashed cauli, theirs over some real basmati rice.

So as you can see, I don't try to "sell" my way of eating to dinner guests. Nor am I willing to force my WOE onto my guests just because it's my house and I'm the cook. I try to serve foods that typically "go together", like a steak and baked potato.

I figure we all get to make choices in life, and among them our food choices. I get to make mine; they get to make theirs. so I serve "choices" when I have company.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
If you have Jorge Cruise's Belly Fat Cure book, his Chipotle Chicken Tacos are awesome! I'll end my post with a pic from my blog.

Serves4
Chicken:
Mix 1/4c olive oil, 1tsp cumin, juice of 1 lime and 1 diced jalapeno in a large Ziploc bag or bowl. Add 4 chicken breasts to the bag and allow to marinate at least 20mns. Remove from marinade and grill, broil or pan fry. When done, dice into bite sized pieces.

Make chipotle crema:
Mix 1/2c mayo, 1/4c sour cream, 1/2Tbsp minced garlic, 1/2 lime(juiced) and 1Tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce(minced) in a bowl.

To serve:

Warm 8 (6") corn tortillas by preferred method. Fill with chicken, shredded green cabbage and shredded cheese. Top with chipotle crema.

pic of my Chipotle Chicken Tacos
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
that sounds yummy !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
subbing
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/184/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I always have bread and/or potatoes for guest. I make plenty of LC things to share, but I know so many people who don't think a meal is complete without bread or potatoes, so I make them.

For an appetizer, artichoke and spinach dip is good. You can serve bread or chips for people, but also slice up cucumbers or carrots to dip in it.

You could also do a low-carb veggie lasagna and a salad. People might want bread with the lasagna, but if you don't have it...oh well.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I usually have rolls for company, but I don't eat them and I throw away any that are leftover, because honestly my kids don't need to eat them all the time either, so I don't want them in the house. I don't find bread too hard to resist most of the time. It's the sweets that get me, so I usually make sure I have a low carb alternative so I am not tempted to cheat.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Subbing!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote