Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sondre
CELERY . How to eat / cook it ?

Hello,

so... i have been trying to find some different/new vegies that i would enjoy eating.

Since starting atkins i have included couple of new vegetables in my diet that i have never tasted before in my life !!! ( very very good thing for me as i didnt want to try new vegies before )

My new vegatebles that i tried for the first time in my life and LOVED them were :

Cauliflower , Broccoli , Courgette and Aubergine

I love them all !

Now,i have found out that celery is very good for your blood,and it has "negative" calories ??? (not sure why & how ) ...

So my boyfriend got some for me ... ewww ...!!! Doesnt taste nice (raw , on its own)!
But ... , i dont want to give up on it just yet,so i am asking for your help

How do you guys eat it ? Fry it ? Boil it ? In salads ? What other vegetables does it go with ?

I will be very greatfull for all your replies & sugestions

Happy New Year !
sondre is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ebonyeyz28
Stats: Then: 274.5, size 28 Now:173, Size 12!
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: December 27, 2002
It's not one of my favorites but I can tolerate it pretty well in a stir fry or in soups or stews. I also like adding it to my green drinks/smoothies and it's pretty tolerable dipped in ranch dressing!
ebonyeyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: uhhuhher
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 28, 2011
We grew up eating raw clelery sticks with peanut butter. YUM! Now I will dip the raw celery sticks in onion dip or ranch dressing. Sometimes I make "buffalo chicken dip" and eat it on big stalks of raw celery. I will also cut it into little bits and put it in tuna and chicken salad - adds a nice crunch. The only time I have ever had it cooked is in vegetable beef soup.
uhhuhher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
stuffed with pimento cheese..... grew up eating it that way !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
These are all good suggestions and I have thought a lot about trying just a celery soup. I think this would be a pretty good filler. So if anyone comes on that has a recipe for a celery soup - LC - please put it on.
I can only eat tuna (ick) in a salad and so put celery in the few times I ever do make it. Then I think CELERY when eating it and try not to think about the rest.
susume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Take celery. Chop into chunks. Dip into this:

BLT Dip Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Celery also withstands braising very well. Toss it in with a chunk of meat you intend on cooking a long period of time.

You can also roast it in the oven. I roasted some celery, onions, and peppers the other day with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and it turned out really delicious.
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I love it raw with cream cheese, or cooked in soups and stir frys. I "always" put it in my soups. Also really like using it in the pan when I roast any meats in the oven. Comes out with a great taste and helps flavour the other foods. Braising is also good too on the stove.

Oh, how could I forget in salads?!?

Last edited by Avy; 01-02-2013 at 08:02 PM..
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyeyz28 View Post
It's not one of my favorites but I can tolerate it pretty well in a stir fry or in soups or stews. I also like adding it to my green drinks/smoothies and it's pretty tolerable dipped in ranch dressing!
Thank you, will try it in a stir fry and maybe dipped in ranch dressing (dont know what ranch dressing tastes like,as never had it before)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhuhher View Post
We grew up eating raw clelery sticks with peanut butter. YUM! Now I will dip the raw celery sticks in onion dip or ranch dressing. Sometimes I make "buffalo chicken dip" and eat it on big stalks of raw celery. I will also cut it into little bits and put it in tuna and chicken salad - adds a nice crunch. The only time I have ever had it cooked is in vegetable beef soup.
Never tried peanut butter , dont know what it looks or tastes like ...

And the second person recomending ranch dressing , WILL have to try that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
stuffed with pimento cheese..... grew up eating it that way !
Pimento cheese , never heard of it before,but will have a look for it
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondre View Post
Hello,

so... i have been trying to find some different/new vegies that i would enjoy eating.

Since starting atkins i have included couple of new vegetables in my diet that i have never tasted before in my life !!! ( very very good thing for me as i didnt want to try new vegies before )

My new vegatebles that i tried for the first time in my life and LOVED them were :

Cauliflower , Broccoli , Courgette and Aubergine

I love them all !

Now,i have found out that celery is very good for your blood,and it has "negative" calories ??? (not sure why & how ) ...

So my boyfriend got some for me ... ewww ...!!! Doesnt taste nice (raw , on its own)!
But ... , i dont want to give up on it just yet,so i am asking for your help

How do you guys eat it ? Fry it ? Boil it ? In salads ? What other vegetables does it go with ?

I will be very greatfull for all your replies & sugestions

Happy New Year !
Negative calories means that your body burns more calories digesting this food than it draws from the food.

Celery normally comes in bundles, with the darker, tougher stalks on the outside and the paler, more tender stalks on the inside. I like to eat the tender internal stalks with a sprinkling of salt or as a "holder" for dips (such as one made with cream cheese and minced smoked salmon). For the tougher outside stalks, I just dice them and throw them into things like marinara sauce and meat sauce for lowcarb lasagne, where I guess they supply a few vitamins and aren't very noticeable.

Good for you for being adventurous in trying out new vegetables. Have you tried hearts of palm (canned and cut up for salad), artichokes and artichoke hearts, asparagus, roasted brussel sprouts, brocholini ...?
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Negative calories means that your body burns more calories digesting this food than it draws from the food.

Celery normally comes in bundles, with the darker, tougher stalks on the outside and the paler, more tender stalks on the inside. I like to eat the tender internal stalks with a sprinkling of salt or as a "holder" for dips (such as one made with cream cheese and minced smoked salmon). For the tougher outside stalks, I just dice them and throw them into things like marinara sauce and meat sauce for lowcarb lasagne, where I guess they supply a few vitamins and aren't very noticeable.

Good for you for being adventurous in trying out new vegetables. Have you tried hearts of palm (canned and cut up for salad), artichokes and artichoke hearts, asparagus, roasted brussel sprouts, brocholini ...?

OMG ! So many replies !!!!

Thank you ALL for sugestions/advice !

I will see if i can find hearts of palm,artichoke hearts and brocholini .

I am not sure about brussel sprouts , will have to check their carbs

Asparagus - loved it for couple months in "Asparagus fritatta" , but now cant even think about its taste ... Just had enough of it , but loved it at first.

Oven baking/roasting is not something i do (i dont do it at all), i eat raw vegies , steam them, boil them or fry them as its a lot quicker and cheaper on the gas bill
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Serenity_Rose
Stats: 290/290/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: January 2013
I'm so glad you're exploring new foods! I love veggies, and there is so much you can do with them.

I have to agree with all the other suggestions for eating it raw - it is a GREAT "carrier" for dips. Ranch, peanut butter, cream cheese, almost anything you can think of, since it has such a neutral taste on its own.

If you can find "celery hearts", those are just the inner stalks, which are thinner, more tender, and less stringy. If you can only find the full heads, I've been known to "peel" the big stringy outsides off the tougher outside stalks, too - or as someone else said, just save them for cooking.

If you like Chinese food, there are a bunch of really cool stirfries that use celery as a main ingredient. Google "chinese cooked celery" and take your pick.
Serenity_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Serenity_Rose
Stats: 290/290/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: January 2013
Oh, another thought, for veggies in general - take a look at vegetarian cookbooks or recipe websites. You can add meat or use them as side dishes if you want, but you can find some very cool ideas for cooking veggies, what spices to use, and all that sort of thing.
Serenity_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Never tried ranch dressing or peanut butter...What the?

Celery is traditionally put with carrots and onions in french cooking. This is called a mirepoix (meer eh pwah) I'm sure I butchered the spelling horribly. I like to sautee it in some butter to soften it unless it's going into a soup or stew. That's really where celery shines, along with being tossed in with some roasting meat to give it flavor.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #14

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I think raw celery is wonderful. It was so popular back about 100 years ago that there were special cut crystal "celery dishes" to serve raw stalks to company!

But it's also terrific cooked. I made "celery crunch casserole" for Christmas dinner and loved it. Celery, mushrooms, and a little alfredo sauce. Parmesan cheese and sliced almonds on top.

by the by, that bit about "negative calories" is not true. when calorie counts are given for foods, the calories used to digest that food are already subtracted out.

Last edited by ravenrose; 01-02-2013 at 10:02 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnport
I don't like raw celery, but I love it in stews, roasts and soups. Celery and cabbage give you great healthy veggie bulk. I'm making a roast in my pressure cooker tomorrow and there'll be an entire bunch of celery in it.
lynnport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
On Christmas Day, our neighbors brought over some celery they'd stuffed with laughing cow cheese. It was yummy.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
Start Date: June 2010
On impulse we bought some "Swiss cheese, Grilled Onion & Portobello Mushroom Dip" meant to be served warm at Costco. Processed, yes, but surprisingly, it had only 1 g carb per 2 TBS, and not too much salt.

I dilute it 1:1 with sour cream, and it works great as a dip for celery.

On a related note, I cut up a chuck roast into stew-sized pieces, and cooked it in the slow cooker, then added a little of this stuff, and it was a good "Beef Stroganoff."
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Celery is wonderful raw and cooked. You will find out how you like it best.

There are many good recipes.

It's also great sauteed in olive oil or butter and bacon for a side dish . Yum!!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Thank you again for all your replies

I have tried celery (only 20g. chopped) with my usuall breakfast salad (lettuce,cucumber,cherry tomatoes,spring onions and radishes) and it was good !

So i will be using it every morning with my breakfast salad .

Will try to put some of it together with courgettes,will see what it tastes like when cooked.

Had a look at the ranch dressing in supermarket today , looks like mayo with some extras ? But its a bit high in carbs , i eat a lot of vegies , so i havent got any "spare" carbs left , but i have ordered a bottle online,and it has no calories,nofat,no carbs,nothing .... Will try that one

I also bought some new vegetables : brussels sprouts & watercress .

Will try them tonight .
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #20

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
watercress is delicious but STRONG. you might want to try a LITTLE bit in your salad rather than eating it straight.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i very rarely get beyond raw celery...cause i LOVE it.

i pull it off the mother stalk, clean it and devour it. Of course, i also finely dice it and add it to tuna, chicken, egg etal salads. i slice it in to saute with other veggies and whatever protein/fat is on the saute menu, or as a side to the protein/fat. Hope this was some help. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
Start Date: November 2012
I use chopped raw celery in chicken salad, just mix chunks of chicken, chopped celery, mayo and some seasonings (I use pepper, celery salt or sea salt, and a little apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar), Gives it a nice crunch.

I also use it cooked in plenty of braised meat dishes, usually with onions and carrots, though, not sure if you are using those or not. Would be fine with meat on its own too.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Can we freeze celery - liked chopped, ready to put in soups? Same question about carrots, onions?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
Take celery. Chop into chunks. Dip into this:

BLT Dip Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Celery also withstands braising very well. Toss it in with a chunk of meat you intend on cooking a long period of time.

You can also roast it in the oven. I roasted some celery, onions, and peppers the other day with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and it turned out really delicious.
Okay, looked at this recipe and looks greeeeeeet! I will be doing this one for sure. Thank`s.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Yes you can freeze all of those Susume, I've done it for years................ Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
Yes you can freeze all of those Susume, I've done it for years................ Ann

wow, good to know....... I thought only onions could be !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohiocat
Stats: 252/174/140
Start Date: 3/5/2012
I like salted raw celery, but the inner stalks are better -- not as fiberous or stringy. I chop it and put it in all my salads too.

Celery is great chopped up and cooked in everything. I mince my celery really small along with some onion and shredded zucchini and add it to my meatloaf or meatballs. Since we can't use breadcrumbs, the veggies help to extend the meat and keep it moist, plus they add flavor and nutrients.

Celery is a natural in soups, if you've had canned soup before, you've eaten celery without realizing it. Chopped celery is great in beef stew, you can mince it and add it to ground beef when you are making just about anything.

My hubby chops it into sticks and uses it as a scoop to eat his tuna salad, egg salad or chicken salad.
ohiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
saved this idea from someone else years ago: Celery spaghetti

Quote:
celery spaghetti
salt

Cut the celery ribs into long thin strands the size of large spagetti
Lay the celery in a large sausepan and pour 1 1/2 quart of boiling water. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil and cook about 10 minutes until the strands are limp. Drain and serve with any pasta sauce.
you might like it this way
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I put it in soups and stews and use it to make my bone broth. Other than that, I stuff with peanut butter and enjoy......thats about it!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Depending on growing conditions, celery can have a wide range of flavors from sweet and tender to downright tough and bitter. If you've tasted a rib that was bitter, you most likely got a 'bad' bunch.

When buying celery, I always select the fattest bunch with the lightest green color and the fattest ribs. Then I select one of the stalks that's just inside the outermost edge, break off a tip and taste it. If it's bitter, I put it back and try again. After bringing home bunch after bunch of bitter celery, I finally decided I'd had enough and found this way of selecting the best tasting ribs. Works every time.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote