Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
Wow making my own butter

So on low carb I go through alot of butter (I love it)! I have a hard time finding "no salt added" and organic butter without paying an arm and a leg so I tend to just buy the butters that are on sale to keep the price down. I love to experiment with different recipes and making things from scratch so I know exactly what is in them. So I was at my sisters house on the weekend and she was making butter! So of course I had to know how being that I LOVE butter so much. Organic 35% cream.....thats it!! She uses her kitchen aid mixer, poors the cream in lets it mix away. A shield gaurd is recommended as it can get messy when the fat(butter) seperates from the butter milk. Plastic wrap and tea towel can be used to cover also. In about 20 minutes she had creamy yellow butter with nothing added, I even found the butter to be slightly salty naturally. Once done poor the butter milk in a glass jar and refridgerate (it tastes great), and rinse the butter in COLD water to remove any excess butter milk to prevent it from going sour. Squish butter in small tupperware containers. Place in fridge or freeze (good for a couple weeks in the fridge). Not sure how much money this will save (if any) but the taste is amazing and the peace of mind is enough for me. This is likely not new to alot of people but it is to me so I had to share, especially with a group that loves butter as much as me I don't have a big mixer so I have read that a food processer can work also so that is what I am going to try. There are lots of videos on line that explain the process more detailed but I can't wait to try this.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Good for you!
I love anything that eliminates additives.
Sounds easy and dare I say fun?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
I saw how to do this on youtube and it looked really interesting, I may give it a go.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Have been thinking a bit about this myself. I'll check you tube for sure. When my grandmother made butter, she "squished" the final product into a round wooden mold that had a flower carved into the bottom. When the butter was unmolded, the flower shape stood out on the top. I love the memory.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I make my Healthy Butter all the time. 4 sticks butter, 2 cups light-tasting olive oil - blend in blender and place in refrigerator to firm up. It has the consistency of spreadable margarine and takes on the flavor of the butter you buy. This does cut costs quite a bit. I buy the light-tasting olive oil (big bottle) from the equivalent of Costco. My family will not do without it. I cannot stand trying to spread real butter straight from the refrigerator. Honestly, though, we use much less butter these days as I don't make much bread or things to spread it on. I guess I'm lazy and I don't miss bread.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MistyLoo
Stats: 148.6/121/125
WOE: hhcg 7/12/10
Start Date: Aug. 2002
When I was a kid my mother made butter all the time. She always let the cream sour a bit before churning it (ya, we did it the old fashioned way). It had a different taste from sweet cream butter but sour cream butter is what I grew up with, it's still my favorite.
MistyLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
P.S. By the way, good for you making your own butter from scratch. I've never done that, other than accidentally when whipping cream. I didn't quite understand when you rinse the butter with cold water.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote