Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   What is the best bread/breadcrumb substitute for ground meat recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/792529-what-best-bread-breadcrumb-substitute-ground-meat-recipes.html)

Mistizoom 01-01-2013 08:37 AM

What is the best bread/breadcrumb substitute for ground meat recipes

I've seen various things used in recipes. I have an awesome lamb patty recipe I make, but it calls for 2 slices of bread (I used to use whole wheat). I've tried making it without the bread and the texture just isn't the same - the bread makes the patties softer, without it they tend to be a little tough and just not as good. I know there are various substitutes, but does anyone have a recommendation on what is the most reliable? I have on hand almond flour, coconut flour, and ground flax meal. I plan to buy some psyllium husk powder soon, and am willing to get other ingredients if necessary. I prefer not to use grain containing products including oat fiber if possible. Thanks for any ideas.

Soobee 01-01-2013 10:43 AM

MY absolute favorite is chia seeds. I use 1-2 tsp. per pound. The seeds are unrecognizable in the meat patty, but make it juicy and delicious. People have also used parmesan, almond flour, or ground pork rinds.

ravenrose 01-01-2013 02:42 PM

the main function of the crumbs is to soak up the fat as the meat cooks, keeping it in the patties rather than draining off. so make sure whatever you use, you do what you can to keep it absorbant.

almond meal, for example, is not very absorbant.

Mistizoom 01-01-2013 02:53 PM

Thanks for the ideas, I hadn't thought of pork rinds, I do have some on hand. Ravenrose, it does sound exactly like what the breadcrumbs do in this recipe, so I won't use almond flour then. I think I might try a combo of flax seed meal and coconut flour today and see what happens. I'll report back later.

rosethorns 01-01-2013 03:14 PM

Soobee ??? The chia seeds, doyou use whole or grind them? Do they give moisture?

That Girl 01-01-2013 03:56 PM

I use a combination of ground up lc bread and parmasean (sp?) cheese...I up the spices like garlic and onions, etc.

hockey_gal 01-01-2013 04:24 PM

I mix parmesan cheese & ground up pork rinds. I use that in place of "batter" for deep frying things...

Mistizoom 01-01-2013 04:29 PM

Success! I used 2 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal and 2 tablespoons coconut flour per pound of meat. They tasted just like they did with breadcrumbs. Next time I think I will cut down to 1 tablespoon of each, as I did have to add extra liquid (that coconut flour really does soak it up!). I will definitely keep in mind crushed pork rinds for breading, and I will add chia seeds to my next Netritrion order.

Soobee 01-01-2013 04:55 PM

Esther, I don't bother to grind them. When meatballs are simmered in sauce, you can't see or taste the chia seeds, but they hold moisture marvelously.

rosethorns 01-01-2013 05:42 PM

Great !! Thanks !!
I think it will help venison.