Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
Help me develop this muffin recipe?

I realize that I have a lots of "wants" and "don't wants", but I appreciate any help you can give me in order to come up with a muffin that will fit my needs for a breakfast muffin that I can bake in large batches and freeze. I really don't want to waste a ton of time and ingredients by making a recipe 10 times tying to come up with something edible.

I would like to make some pumpkin muffins. I do NOT want a One Minute Muffin. I want a batch of muffins that I can bake in the oven.
I want the muffins to be gluten free, LC, high in protein and high in coconut oil. I really don't want to add ingredients that I have to hunt down or order online, but I will if I absolutely have to in order for this to work. I do NOT want to use the pre made "low carb baking mixes" because I just don't trust them. I don't want any soy.

I would like to start the recipe with 1 cup almond flour (or would 2 be better for the almond/flax ratio?), one cup golden flax finely ground, 2 scoops of protein powder and at least one cup of pumpkin. I like flax, but don't want the inside of the muffins to be slimy.

If I use the above ingredients....

How many eggs?
How much DaVinci syrup (pumpkin spice flavor)?
Would I need additional powdered sweetener?
How much coconut oil can I squeeze in there?
How much baking powder?
I will add vanilla and pumpkin pie spice to taste.

I read somewhere that you can get extra "poof" in muffins if you add a teaspoon of baking soda to your dry ingredients and a little bit (not sure how much) vinegar to the liquid. Do you think that will really help?

Is there a standard ratio of wet to dry ingerdients for muffin recipes?

Sorry to be such a PITA. I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent researching muffin recipes here and can't seem to find the right thing. The bake batches in oven part instead of a microwaved OMM is very important to me.

Thank in advance for any help you can give me.

Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go.

CIAC
emily1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Carolyn has this recipe. It doesn't have everything you asked for, but it's close.
Pumpkin Bran Muffins Carolyn
1 1/2 cups brown flax seed meal
6 tbsp. Swerve Sweetener or granulated erythritol
1/4 cup unflavored whey protein powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
20 drops stevia extract
1/2 cup almond milk
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
Preheat oven to 325F and line 12 muffins tins with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk together the flax seed meal, granulated erythritol, whey protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. In medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla and stevia. Add to flax seed mixture and stir to combine. Stir in almond milk, then melted coconut oil, until well combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups and bake 28 to 30 minutes or until set and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily1965 View Post
I realize that I have a lots of "wants" and "don't wants", but I appreciate any help you can give me in order to come up with a muffin that will fit my needs for a breakfast muffin that I can bake in large batches and freeze. I really don't want to waste a ton of time and ingredients by making a recipe 10 times tying to come up with something edible.

I would like to make some pumpkin muffins. I do NOT want a One Minute Muffin. I want a batch of muffins that I can bake in the oven.
I want the muffins to be gluten free, LC, high in protein and high in coconut oil. I really don't want to add ingredients that I have to hunt down or order online, but I will if I absolutely have to in order for this to work. I do NOT want to use the pre made "low carb baking mixes" because I just don't trust them. I don't want any soy.

I would like to start the recipe with 1 cup almond flour (or would 2 be better for the almond/flax ratio?), one cup golden flax finely ground, 2 scoops of protein powder and at least one cup of pumpkin. I like flax, but don't want the inside of the muffins to be slimy.

If I use the above ingredients....

How many eggs?
How much DaVinci syrup (pumpkin spice flavor)?
Would I need additional powdered sweetener?
How much coconut oil can I squeeze in there?
How much baking powder?
I will add vanilla and pumpkin pie spice to taste.

I read somewhere that you can get extra "poof" in muffins if you add a teaspoon of baking soda to your dry ingredients and a little bit (not sure how much) vinegar to the liquid. Do you think that will really help?

Is there a standard ratio of wet to dry ingerdients for muffin recipes?

Sorry to be such a PITA. I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent researching muffin recipes here and can't seem to find the right thing. The bake batches in oven part instead of a microwaved OMM is very important to me.

Thank in advance for any help you can give me.
Have you ever heard the saying: "Cooking may be an art, but baking is a science"??? This becomes even more true when baking LC. And then if you want it both LC and GF...well than that certainly complicates matters even more.

Having worked directly with Jennifer Eloff to assist in the development of her GF-LC Bake Mix, I can't even begin to tell you how many batches of muffins I made...and how many batches of muffins failed as we made changes. But I was happy to do the work because testing is very important to understanding how ingredients work together in the realm of gluten-free baking as it relates to the other 'normal' baking things such as weight, density, leavening, sweetness, binding, humectancy, etc...that is where the term "science" converges with the term "baking" in the kitchen.

There are many excellent bakers on the board...perhaps one will have the recipe you're looking for. In the meantime, you may want to try and find a recipe that has some/most of the ingredients you have on hand and go from there.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
You could use Dottie's recipe and make muffins out of them..

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ound-cake.html
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Have you ever heard the saying: "Cooking may be an art, but baking is a science"??? This becomes even more true when baking LC. And then if you want it both LC and GF...well than that certainly complicates matters even more.

Having worked directly with Jennifer Eloff to assist in the development of her GF-LC Bake Mix, I can't even begin to tell you how many batches of muffins I made...and how many batches of muffins failed as we made changes. But I was happy to do the work because testing is very important to understanding how ingredients work together in the realm of gluten-free baking as it relates to the other 'normal' baking things such as weight, density, leavening, sweetness, binding, humectancy, etc...that is where the term "science" converges with the term "baking" in the kitchen.

There are many excellent bakers on the board...perhaps one will have the recipe you're looking for. In the meantime, you may want to try and find a recipe that has some/most of the ingredients you have on hand and go from there.
Yes, I am very aware that baking is a science. That's why it makes sense to come here and ask the advice from LC baking veterns instead of going blind into my kitchen and wasting a ton of money and time.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #6

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Try the World According to Eggface's blog-you can just make her recipes higher fat.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Try the World According to Eggface's blog-you can just make her recipes higher fat.
I love her, but when it comes to baked goods, not only does she keep low fat, but her base dry ingredient is always old fashioned pancake mix.

I'm going to try using Dotties pumpkin bread recipe with some tweaks. By reading further into that thread, it looks like people have successfully subbed out davinci syrup for the dry splenda because they were having to thin the batter with water anyway (this sub cuts carbs way down). I'm going to do that, plus try increasing the dry ingredients a little to see if the recipe will accommodate the addition of coconut oil. In the end, I may have to resort to smearing some coconut oil onto a muffin, but if I can get it "into" the muffin, I would prefer it. I just can't swallow that stuff off the spoon like some people can. I want to create a breakfast muffin that will carry me through well into lunch. I'm OK with it having a heavy carrot cake like consistency as long as it holds together. I don't really care about it being light and airy...in fact I really don't want it to be light and airy. it want it to be filling.

Edited: well heck, I just looked at that recipe again and it doesn't have any protein powder. I guess I will do do a lot more than just tweak it.

Last edited by emily1965; 12-29-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Over at Your Lighter Side, there's one that looks close. Candice's Low-Carb Cream Cheese Pumpkin Muffins. Makes 6 and is baked. Has most of your ingredients too.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Emily.... I'm watching this, because I love the idea, but I need my protein too, and I can't waste my tiny portions on non protein food...

Oh, and YOU GOT A NEW PIC SINCE YESTERDAY! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #10

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
as to the leavening, the only advantage to using baking soda and vinegar is a SLIGHT lower of carbs from baking powder. it is much more difficult, since the rising happens RIGHT AWAY and not when it gets hot. that's why people stopped doing that (a century ago? sometime in the not too distant past) and started using double acting baking powder. it's much more foolproof.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Linda Sue's Pound cake makes good muffins.

POUND CAKE
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
5 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon or orange extract, optional
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
6 1/2 ounces almond flour (1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
Lemon or orange zest, optional

Beat the butter, cream cheese and Splenda with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. The mixture should look like thick cake batter. Pour into a greased 9-inch round cake pan. Bake at 350º 50-55 minutes. I suggest checking the cake after 40 minutes or so because mine was done in less than 45 minutes. The cake will be golden brown and firm to the touch when done.

Makes 8 servings
Can be frozen

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 346 Calories; 31g Fat; 10g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 334 Calories; 31g Fat; 10g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Almond Flour Muffins

3 cups of almond flour
1-teaspoon baking soda
1-teaspoon baking powder
1/4-teaspoon salt
1 cup Splenda
1/2 cup of yogurt (can sub sour cream + 1 tsp. vinegar if you don’t have yogurt)
3 eggs
1-tablespoon vanilla

1/4 cup melted butter (if necessary)

Fruit or nuts of choice

Mix ingredients together, if batter is too thick add butter as needed to thin to muffin consistency. Add nuts or fruit if desired.

Put batter in paper lined muffin tins and bake 325° for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have one that could be muffins. I don't know where I got it so I cant give credit. (before I knew better)

Pumpkin muffins or loaf

3/4 c. almond flour
3/4 c. splenda
3 T vital wheat gluten
1/4 c. + 2 T. whey pp
1 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 t. bk pwd
1/4 t. bk soda
1 egg
1/4 c. sour cream
3 T. oil
1 t. vanilla
1 c. pumpkin

Loaf 350 for 55 min
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
These might help as a starting point, don't know... I've got the flax, protein and coconut oil in there... might be able to add almond flour and pumpkin.

---

Dizneegirl's Coconut Flax Muffins

2 eggs
1/8 teaspoon stevia, or sweetner to taste (equal to 1/2 cup sweetness)
dash salt
2 tablespoons DaVinci
1/4 cup coconut oil
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup vanilla whey protein
1 cup flax meal
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 teaspoons baking powder

Mix all ingredients and let rest several minutes. Fill 6 muffin tins (I use a silicone pan, you may need to grease metal pans) and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes, until top springs back when lightly touched. Remove from pan and let cool. Makes 6 muffins.

---

Dizneegirl's Vanilla Flax Muffins

2 large eggs
4 packets Splenda packets
1 dash salt
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup oil
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 scoops protein powder, vanilla
1/2 cup flax meal
2 tsp baking powder

Mix all ingredients and let rest for about 5 minutes, or until it doubles in size. Fill well-greased muffin tinsand bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes, until dry looking and a nice light-gold. Remove from pan and let cool. Makes 6 muffins.