Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Maria's Most Excellent Pizza Crust (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/792255-marias-most-excellent-pizza-crust.html)

Chocolate Rose 12-28-2012 08:07 PM

Maria's Most Excellent Pizza Crust

Actually it's her husband's awesome pizza crust!!
There have been a couple of posts on the Healthified Sub Roll thread about this crust, but I thought it deserved a thread of it's on.

This is the BEST low carb pizza crust that I have tried. It is really great! No fork needed - just pick it up in your hands. It has great flavor and great texture. It's been almost a year since I've had a good pizza and I am in heaven right now!
I topped mine with a garlicky white sauce, sausage, green onions and mozzarella. YUM!!!
Next time I make this, I'm going to make individual sized pizza crusts and follow the recipe through to before putting the toppings on and try freezing just the crusts. I'd love to have a crust that I can just pull out of the freezer, put the toppings on and heat up.
You've got to try this recipe!

Idreamofweightloss 12-28-2012 08:15 PM

This is the one I was thinking of making and was wondering if a tortilla press would be a good option for pressing the dough. Would line it with parchament paper. Mind if I ask what brand physllium poweder you used?

Chocolate Rose 12-28-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idreamofweightloss (Post 16157822)
This is the one I was thinking of making and was wondering if a tortilla press would be a good option for pressing the dough. Would line it with parchament paper. Mind if I ask what brand physllium poweder you used?

I'm not sure how well a tortilla press would work. I just made mine on a cookie sheet. I put the dough on the sheet and then squished it out to a uniform thickness. I found that if my hands were wet, the dough didn't stick to them. It rises very nicely. For me, the press would end up being a gadget that just took up space in my kitchen and was ignored.
I think that the psyllium husk powder I have is the NOW brand. I'll check the next time I head into the kitchen. You might want to read the whole Healthified Sub thread as there are many posts regarding psyllium husk powder.

Idreamofweightloss 12-28-2012 08:22 PM

I did! It's really lenthy and many different opinions. From what I gathered most liked the Jay Robb brand and just ground them themselves. I also read a post from shippo who used the coconut flour option. She said she had trouble with the almond flour one but the coconut flour version worked great. Thinking of trying it this weekend.

rosethorns 12-29-2012 05:32 AM

I've been looking at the pizza dough recipe. I can eat this. I haven't had pizza in years.

becky7474 12-29-2012 06:49 AM

How come I can't find the recipe?

shipoo 12-29-2012 06:57 AM

I have to agree with Chocolate Rose, this is the BEST pizza crust I have tried in years. I am going to try the tortilla press idea this weekend and freeze for individual pizzas. Will post my results!

shipoo 12-29-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becky7474 (Post 16158160)
How come I can't find the recipe?

Healthified" Pizza Crust

1 1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup Jay Robb protein powder (unflavored)
4 TBS Psyllium husk powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS grated parmesan
1 TBS Italian spices
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup boiling water
butter or coconut oil (for brushing)
(Toppings of your choice)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients and mix until blended. Add eggs and mix until well combined. Add boiling water and mix until dough thickens and start to stick to beaters. Place ball on greased baking sheet. Spray a piece of parchment with oil and place on to of the dough to help spread without sticking. Use a rolling pin or your hands to spread the dough into a 16 inch round. Dough will raise 2-3 times its size so make the thickness one third of what you want the final pizza to be (I like a 1/4 inch thick crust so I start with about 1/8 inch or less thickness).

Place in oven and Bake for 25 minutes. Remove crust from oven and brush with butter of coconut oil and return to oven. Broil for 5-10 minutes or until crust is crisp. Add topping and broil for another 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and starts to brown. Makes 6 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Pizza Crust = 262 calories, 7.6g fat, 6g protein, 43g carbs, 1.7g fiber (41.3g effective carbs)
"Healthified" Pizza crust = 197 calories, 13.7g fat, 9.4g protein, 9.4g carbs, 5.5g fiber (3.9g effective carbs)

becky7474 12-29-2012 07:05 AM

Thanks!

Idreamofweightloss 12-29-2012 09:20 AM

I hope the fact that I could not find the jay robb brand wont make a big difference. I found sunridge farms. I looked at the store and they did have unflavored whey protein isolate. Is that the same thing?

Chocolate Rose 12-29-2012 01:45 PM

I had leftovers for lunch. MMMMMMMYUMMMMMMMM!! I'm going to have leftovers for dinner, too.

Idreamofweightloss 12-29-2012 02:29 PM

I went ahead and made this ( had to borrow the parm cheese) I forgot to coat it with oil when I broiled it so it burned a little, all and all pretty good just need better toppings. My pizza sauce was way to sweet and I am wondering if the carb count was a little high its 6 carbs for 1/4 cup.

CarolynF 12-29-2012 03:45 PM

This pizza crust was delicious. I am thinking it would be a very good crust recipe for deep dish pizza. I'm going to have to do some research on how to make it.

Barbo 12-30-2012 02:45 PM

Carolyn

You had no trouble with the dough?

Do you bake it in a convection oven?

How sticky is the dough and how long do you beat it?

Still have not been successful with this recipe.

Idreamofweightloss 12-30-2012 03:14 PM

I had no problems at all. Baked mine in a regular oven on parchment paper. And I am not so hot in the kitchen. I would say I beat the dough less than a minute. Followed the instructions for the baking time. The dough was not super sticky I just put a piece of parchment on top sprayed with pam to spread the dough. The only change I made was I only made half of the recipe.

Soobee 12-30-2012 03:35 PM

Barbo, I have only made the pizza crust once, but I've made Maria's sub rolls 8 or 9 times. I use coconut flour, although the almond flour worked just as well. After trying to mix it several ways, I get the best results using a stand mixer. I mix all dry ingredients with a whip attachment, then add egg whites and mix again about a minute. Next I add the boiling water and beat for about 2 minutes. I plunk the dough in sub shaped blobs on a silicone mat. It is not sticky. Bake for 65 minutes. Let dry on racks. I love this bread toasted. It will crisp up like regular bread. In fact, it will burn like regular bread if you leave it in too long.

CarolynF 12-30-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16160670)
You had no trouble with the dough?

Do you bake it in a convection oven?

How sticky is the dough and how long do you beat it?

Still have not been successful with this recipe.

My dough was not bread-dough like, it was slightly sticky,but I sprayed the wrap really well and I could roll it out. Oh. I added my water Slowly and probably only used half of it. I thought one cup seemed like alot.

I beat with my Foley Fork, which is like a giant fork and I love it. Just a regular oven here..

After I added some of the water and it was firming up, I just beat with my fork and then decided that that was enough water. I do think different almond flours act differently or people measure differently. The almond
flour has lumps, so that makes the measuring a bit funky.

shipoo 12-31-2012 09:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I made the crust using my tortilla press as I wanted to get three crusts out of the recipe. You could probably get four crusts about 6 inches each. As it is I have three crusts for my freezer! Loving this recipe!

Chocolate Rose 12-31-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipoo (Post 16161900)
I made the crust using my tortilla press as I wanted to get three crusts out of the recipe. You could probably get four crusts about 6 inches each. As it is I have three crusts for my freezer! Loving this recipe!

Those look great!! Are you just freezing the crusts without any toppings? That's what I plan to do, but the recipe has instructions for freezing with toppings.

shipoo 12-31-2012 07:39 PM

I will freeze without toppings as that way I can use my owned canned tomatoe sauce, along with my own dried herbs from my garden and the toppings I am in the mood for. At least I can take one out Friday morning and leave it to thaw for Friday night Pizza Night!

shelby'snana 12-31-2012 08:51 PM

subbing ! Looks great !

Ginaaaaaa 01-02-2013 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made another pizza tonight, I'm so happy to have this recipe. My daughter works at a pizza place and sometimes the boss will send her home with a mistake and its really hard to resist. With this I will never miss out on pizza again!!

I love that I can pick it up and eat it too!! One more thing, it fills you up!! My daughter and I could only eat two pieces and we were full and felt satisfied, and no cravings or wanting more.

dianafoot 01-03-2013 07:05 AM

I made Maria's pizza crust last night and it was wonderful! I halved the recipe and used 1/2 cup boiling water, and the dough was very soupy, even after a lot of beating. So I added a good deal more of the other ingredients (keeping them fairly proportional) until the dough firmed up. Consequently, it probably made a crust as large as the original! So, I would suggest not adding the entire amount of water at first. I think this pizza crust is much better in flavor and texture than the wheat crust that DH had on his pizza. Yum!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...spizza0072.jpg

Brendajm 01-03-2013 12:05 PM

That looks yummy

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 01-04-2013 02:15 PM

Going to try this

millergirl1976 01-04-2013 02:53 PM

Marking my spot-this recipe looks awesome!

stickergoddess 01-07-2013 01:42 PM

i made this and it was good- except my crust was too thick. I realized I used a 12" pan rather then the 16" pan that was stated in the recipe. I think i will try it again tonight and get the crust thinner.

Soobee 01-12-2013 05:49 AM

We like this pizza crust best so far. I have started making it with coconut flour, thereby lowering the caloreies considerably (so I can eat more) and upping the carbs somewhat. If anyone else is interested in the changes, I will post them.

Brendajm 01-12-2013 06:05 AM

Please post your changes Soobee

rosethorns 01-12-2013 07:30 AM

yes please post Soobee.