Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Healthified Pizza Crust Coconut Flour Version
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup Jay Robb protein powder (unflavored)
4 TBS Psyllium husk powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS grated parmesan
1 TBS Italian spices
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup egg whites
1 cup boiling water

(Toppings of your choice)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients and mix until blended. Add egg whites and mix until well combined. Add boiling water and mix until dough thickens and starts to stick to beaters. Place ball on greased baking sheet. Spray a piece of parchment with oil and place on to of the dough to help spread without sticking. Use a rolling pin or your hands to spread the dough into a 16 inch round. Dough will raise 2-3 times its size so make the thickness one third of what you want the final pizza to be (I like a 1/4 inch thick crust so I start with about 1/8 inch or less thickness).

Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove crust from oven and flip over. Bake for 10 minutes more or until crust is crisp. Add topping and broil for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and starts to brown.

Last edited by Soobee; 01-12-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I break the recipe in half and bake 2 crusts which I then freeze. We can use them to have a quick meal any time. That makes each crust about 250 calories, each of which is enough for a very filling meal or 2 smaller ones.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: low carb quilter
using a quesadilla maker

seen where someone used the tortea press, was wondering if you would think it possible to use a q. maker??
low carb quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Start Date: September 4, 2012
How does this recipe reheat? Wondering if I should freeze half of it or if the leftovers would be ok for lunch.
PassionateFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by low carb quilter View Post
seen where someone used the tortea press, was wondering if you would think it possible to use a q. maker??
Did you want to use this pizza crust to make quesadillas? I think there are tortilla recipes on here that would be better for that. Otherwise I'm not sure how you would make a pizza using this crust in it because of the pockets in the q. maker. I guess it could work, let us know if you try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateFire View Post
How does this recipe reheat? Wondering if I should freeze half of it or if the leftovers would be ok for lunch.
We have eaten this left over pizza and have microwaved it and put it in the toaster oven and it has reheated well. I like it better in the toaster oven.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 01-16-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm going to have to try out this dough. Sounds and looks VERY good. Not sure I'm going to spring for the Jay Robb protein though, since I have so much unflavored on hand at present. We'll see if mine will make this up well or not.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
PIZZA CRUST

Since I have been a flop with this dough. I will be very interested
in your endeavor.

Hope it's great for you.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: low carb quilter
sorry i bet u wondered what i was thinking,,, meant to put it on the tortilla page. i am going to try this on my pizza stone though,
low carb quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cablegriz
Stats: 218/178/200/140
WOE: LC, Insulin Resistant on Metformin HCL 2000mg
Start Date: April 23, 2010 a restart for my health
Bump
Cablegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I finally tried Maria's crust for lunch today. I use Konsyl psyllium powder, which is so concentrated I usually have to cut the amount called for in any recipe by at least half or I get an "instant brick". But for this, I mixed all the dry ingredients starting out with just 1 T. Konsyl, so I could just add more if needed. I had to use 2 jumbo eggs, as that's what DH brought home last rip to the store and that's all I had. I added 1 tsp. gluc powder also. Per DianaFoot's recommendation, I started out with just 1/4 c. water (Great tip Diana) and it took 3 more T. of Konsyl psyllium for a total of 4T. like her recipe called for, but that's probably only because I had to use jumbo eggs and the fiber took up that extra moisture there. I didn't have to add ANY more water!! It made a formed "ball" of dough (though not at thick as pie dough) that I could press out (wearing plastic gloves) onto my parchment-lined pizza pan.

I followed all other instructions as written other than I didn't bother to oil my crust as it didn't seem to need it. End result: mine didn't rise much at all and sure didn't look like her website picture, but it cooked nicely and browned enough to be able to hold a slice in your hands with no difficulty and overall had a nice taste, kinda cracker-like. Next time I'll place my toppings all the way to the extreme edge of the crust because the crust edges were way too dry to eat. I think the Konsyl is very drying and likely to blame for why mine didn't rise like hers and why the edges were so good.

I really like this crust overall and it will make a GREAT replacement for my own recipe that calls for Carbquick, which I no longer eat now that I've ditched wheat. I've learned just not fond of coconut flour in my pizza crust and this recipe has none. So I'm happy to have tried this one.

Last edited by buttoni; 01-19-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I finally tried Maria's crust for lunch today. I use Konsyl psyllium powder, which is so concentrated I usually have to cut the amount called for in any recipe by at least half or I get an "instant brick". But for this, I mixed all the dry ingredients starting out with just 1 T. Konsyl, so I could just add more if needed. I had to use 2 jumbo eggs, as that's what DH brought home last rip to the store and that's all I had. I added 1 tsp. gluc powder also. Per DianaFoot's recommendation, I started out with just 1/4 c. water (Great tip Diana) and it took 3 more T. of Konsyl psyllium for a total of 4T. like her recipe called for, but that's probably only because I had to use jumbo eggs and the fiber took up that extra moisture there. I didn't have to add ANY more water!! It made a formed "ball" of dough (though not at thick as pie dough) that I could press out (wearing plastic gloves) onto my parchment-lined pizza pan.

I followed all other instructions as written other than I didnt' bother to oil my crust as it didn't seem to need it. End result: mine didn't rise much at all and sure didn't look like her website picture, but it cooked nicely and browned enough to be able to hold a slice in your hands with no difficulty and overall had a nice taste, kinda cracker-like. Next time I'll place my toppings all the way to the extreme edge of the crust because the crust edges were way too dry to eat. I think the Konsyl is very drying and likely to blame for why mine didn't rise like hers and why the edges weren't so good.

I really like this crust overall and it will make a GREAT replacement for my own recipe that calls for Carbquick, which I no longer eat now that I've ditched wheat. I've learned just not fond of coconut flour in my pizza crust and this recipe has none. So I'm happy to have tried this one.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PMcmil5450
Does anyone have any thoughts about whether finely milled flax seeds (texture is fine like flour) could be subbed for the psyllium husk powder?
PMcmil5450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't think so. Maria's recipe says, "No substitutes for this."
Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Soobee! I assume psyllium husk powder is easy to find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I don't think so. Maria's recipe says, "No substitutes for this."
Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tubbette
Stats: 183/172.6/135 lbs.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 01/07/2013
Thanks for the info. I plan to make this tonight. I am craving a pizza.
tubbette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Where can I find Maria's sub roll recipe?
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by decodiana View Post
Where can I find Maria's sub roll recipe?
You can find it in the link below.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...sub-rolls.html
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tubbette
Stats: 183/172.6/135 lbs.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 01/07/2013
I did make this tonight and it was amazing. My husband loved it. It was just like a dough and it was a perfect recipe. I'll definitely make this again.
tubbette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
On Sunday, I made up a batch of the dough and cooked it on an large cookie sheet. I cut it into 6 squares, wrapped it well and refrigerated it. I pulled out two squares tonight, made up a quick alfredo sauce, browned some sausage and created a sausage alfredo pizza with mozza and green onions. It was awesome again!! I ate one for dinner and will have the other one probably tomorrow night. YUM!! If you're missing pizza, you've got to give this recipe a try. While eating it I kept having those old guilty feelings, only there was no reason to feel guilty.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I definitely need to make these. Maybe tomorrow !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Soobee, forgetting about the calorie difference, which crust do you prefer for taste...the almond flour or coconut flour version?

Quote:
We like this pizza crust best so far. I have started making it with coconut flour, thereby lowering the caloreies considerably (so I can eat more) and upping the carbs somewhat. If anyone else is interested in the changes, I will post them.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I like them both equally.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Well, I have the ingredients to make either one, so was trying to decide which one to try first. Do you have the nutritional info for the coconut flour one? More specifically, how many fewer calories and greater net carbs in the coconut flour one. Thank you so much!

Pam
Quote:
I like them both equally.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The calories on the coconut flour rolls are about half of the almond flour version. The carbs are about one third higher. I am experimenting with a coconut flour/oat fiber version, which would lower the carbs significantly and the calories even more. I haven't got it nailed down yet. I'll post it when I do.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Quote:
The calories on the coconut flour rolls are about half of the almond flour version. The carbs are about one third higher. I am experimenting with a coconut flour/oat fiber version, which would lower the carbs significantly and the calories even more. I haven't got it nailed down yet. I'll post it when I do.
I have been wondering out trying that combination out myself. I'd be happy to help with experimenting if you'll share the ratios you've already tried or give me a couple you want to try. You can PM me if you like.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Right now I am cutting the coconut flour in half, and making the other half oat fiber. The problem is the amount of water. The first time I used the regular amount of water. The dough was crumbly and hard to shape. The second time i used almost double the liquid. That made the finished product too moist. My next try will be 1 and 1/4 times the original liquid. Any ideas you have or results you get will be very interesting. Happy to have you join in the tweaks.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Soobee! I tried the coconut flour version this weekend and wasn't happy with it, but I screwed it up. I didn't notice that your version called for flipping the crust rather than brushing with oil and broiling. I had brushed it with butter and put it back under the broiler per Maria's original instructions. It started to burn, so then I flipped it and baked a bit longer, and took out and put on the toppings, then under the broiler. The crust ended up being pretty soft, and the top of the crust under the sauce got totally soggy...I could not eat it. So I scraped off the toppings and didn't eat the crust. If I try this again I'll try the almond flour version, although I will be interested in how your coconut flour/oat fiber version turns out.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Popping in with newbie question--

I've been a longtime lowcarb dieter and cooking enthusiast, but I never did much baking (just live without bread substitutes, was never a big pizza fan, and cured sweet tooth with cheesecakes and mousse).

Lately my tastes have been changing and I've branched out. I picked up some coconut flour at whole foods today. The texture looks great, very fine, but when I got home and opened the package the coconut smell knocks your head off. I like coconut just fine, but is it really going to work in savory recipes like this? Is there a preferred brand?

(I'll also go ahead and mention that Whole Foods' bulk almond flour seems decent in a pinch, $5/lb (vs as high as $14/lb I've seen online), texture seems decent enough--I did the choc mayo cake today. If this new baking bug sticks I'll probably order the honeyville stuff you guys mention, but just this once I wanted to give WF their due--don't shop there often, went in with low expectations, came out with two reasonably-priced alternative flours.)

Last edited by Perdita; 01-28-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
For those of you that are making this crust ahead and freezing it, can you tell me at what point you're freezing it? And how you're treating the bake and topping process after the freeze?

Oh, and how thick are y'all liking the crust rolled out?

So many questions. . . Thanks.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
Soobee--if you have some egg white powder (and I bet you do, probably you have three different kinds!), you might try using a lesser amount of water in your oat fiber+coconut flour version with some egg white powder added in to counteract the crumbliness. I'd never used egg white powder before Ouizoid's amazing flour mix, but I'm finding that I it helps balance out some of the weird low carb cooking math. (I have used no technical cooking terms in this post. I do not know any. )
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote