Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jackie2000
need replacement for Expert Foods Not Sugar

I used not sugar in baking when my husband was on Atkins; stopped for awhile and now I'm occasionally cooking for my diabetic brother in law and found that product is no longer available. I could sub Xantham gum but I don't know if it would measure the same--I'm thinking not because very little xantham gum goes a long way. If anyone has a sub please let me know. I have recipes that used not sugar successfully so I'm looking for a sub that won't require alot of trail and error to figure out the amount to use.
jackie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Xantham gum is a thickener, NOT a sweetener. Are you sure that's what you mean, or do you mean Xylitol? And do be careful with xantham gum--a little DOES go a long way to thicken your food--1/2 tsp to 1 tsp max, but it won't sweeten food.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol sweetener. It measures like sugar and is about as sweet but lower in carbs and calories. It doesn't have the bad GI effects common in many sugar alcohols, but use it sparingly at first until you are certain that you (or your BIL) tolerate it well). Some people complain of the cooling effect in your mouth--almost as if you ate a mint, but without the minty flavor. Beware that xylitol is highly toxic to dogs, so if you have pets, be careful with it.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Dixie Diners Thick It Up may work.

Here is a post that might help: Important Note Regarding not/Sugar in Kevinpa's recipes
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Not sugar was a thickener--sugarfree sweetners don't have the same qualities of sugar for baking so the Not Sugar (they also had Not Starch, both worked) filled that gap. I used it alot for baking and for general thickening (didn't have that sliminess that xantham can have).

I was on this board when Kevinpa came up with his wonderful recipes. I'll check out that thread. thanks.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie2000 View Post
Not sugar was a thickener--sugarfree sweetners don't have the same qualities of sugar for baking so the Not Sugar (they also had Not Starch, both worked) filled that gap. I used it alot for baking and for general thickening (didn't have that sliminess that xantham can have).

I was on this board when Kevinpa came up with his wonderful recipes. I'll check out that thread. thanks.
You're very welcome. I think the Thick It Up will work for you especially if you have TNT recipes that require this. Glad to have helped.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it depends on the application, jackie. you are right that xanthan is much more concentrated. but the other difference, and the main reason in the olden days to buy those super expensive Not Sugar and Not Starch products, is that they dissolved a LOT better. Xanthan and Guar gum tend to LUMP LUMP LUMP.

Nowadays there is a big switch to glucomannan powder. it's expensive too, you usually have to get a pound for about $25, but it's pretty much a lifetime supply... it is NOT as finicky as the other thickeners in terms of lumping.

If you want to use guar or xanthan to thicken things like sauces and soups, you have two options. Three if you count making huge lumps of gum, but I am discounting that one! LOL

1. blend it into the cold mixture in a blender till it's WELL mixed before heating/cooking which you can then do in the microwave or stovetop, stirring often.

2. heat your liquid in a pan, mix the guar or xanthan with an equal amount of oil (olive if it suits the dish, otherwise probably a good non-damaged canola like trader joe's has) and stir the gum/oil paste into your dish, whisking a LOT till it thickens and heats up. this is pretty easy to do, but it's like the first time you made flour or cornstarch thickened sauces, there is a bit of practice needed. so don't assume it doesn't work if you aren't totally successful at first.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks. I may try some of the glucomannan powder mixed with the thickitup as noted in one comment in that other thread to reduce costs. I know things have changed over the years (like i used Hood milk which was great but no longer available)--I need to get caught up.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie2000 View Post
Thanks. I may try some of the glucomannan powder mixed with the thickitup as noted in one comment in that other thread to reduce costs. I know things have changed over the years (like i used Hood milk which was great but no longer available)--I need to get caught up.
Carolyn's Low Carb Milk would be a great sub. Here is a link:

Homemade Low Carb Milk
Old 03-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonestarstamper
Stats: 221/210/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2011
bumping/subbing
lonestarstamper is offline   Reply With Quote