Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Jalapeno Cheese Bread (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/791855-jalapeno-cheese-bread.html)

buttoni 12-21-2012 01:16 PM

Jalapeno Cheese Bread

I tried my hand at a Jalapeno Cheese Bread today using the basic batter from my Peppered Bacon Cheese Bread and the new version came out real good. Moist and just mildly spicy. Those that like things hotter might want to use TWO peppers. http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/001-35.jpg
I’ve been wanting to try my hand at a jalapeno cheese bread and finally got around to it. Today’s first attempt turned it into a delightfully tasty bread! This bread is not suitable until you reach the nuts and seeds rung of the Atkins OWL phase. It is suitable for Primal diners, if you eat occasional cheese. This will make up nicely as muffins, as the crust is very nice on this bread. Muffins will only take about 15-20 minutes to cook. I chose to use fresh jalapeno, but will try my next batch using pickled jalapenos to see which I like best.

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. almond flour
2 T. coconut flour
c. golden flax meal
1 3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. grated cheese (or more if you can afford the calories and carbs)
1-2 jalapenos, seeded, finely chopped (fresh or pickled pepper, your choice)
5 eggs, beaten
2 T. coconut oil, melted
2 T. olive oil
1 T. cider vinegar
1-2 T. corn flavoring (optional, if you want a “cornbread” taste)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a loaf pan and set aside. I use a non-standard size non-stick loaf pan that is 4” wide, 2” deep and 10″ long. Measure all dry ingredients and cheese into a medium measuring bowl, stir and set aside. Seed and finely chop jalapeno and add. Add cheese and stir all dry ingredients together to blend. Add all liquid ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir to blend. Add cooked bacon and stir one last time to blend bacon evenly throughout batter. Using a rubber spatula, scrape batter into greased loaf pan and pop into preheated oven for 30 minutes. Ovens vary, so check with toothpick test. Remove and cool in pan a few minutes. Run sharp knife around edges to loosen and gently tip out onto a cutting board. Slice into 10 servings and serve warm.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 10 large slices, each contains: (calculated using 1 c. cheese only)

242 calories
21 g fat
6.2 g carbs, 3.2 g fiber, 3.0 g NET CARBS
9.95 g protein
386 mg sodium
85 mg potassium
18% RDA Vitamin B12, 11% calcium, 19% iron, 17% phosphorous, 16% riboflavin, 19% selenium

rosethorns 12-21-2012 01:23 PM

Wow Peggy that looks sooooooooooo good.

buttoni 12-21-2012 01:27 PM

Thank you, Esther! It is real good! Next batch I'll use pickled jalapenos and see which is better. I've never used fresh in bread and wanted to see what that was like. It had a kinda musty back taste using the fresh, so I might like the pickled better personally. We'll see. This bread bakes so consistently I'm going to try several different versions with the basic batter. :)

Barbo 12-21-2012 02:32 PM

Peggy this is a beautiful loaf.
If I wasn't under the weather I would make it today with pickled jalapenos.

mojave 12-21-2012 03:21 PM

Beautiful! I don't have a loaf pan but I'm sure I can work something out!;)

Dee

buttoni 12-21-2012 04:21 PM

Thanks, Barbo. Dee, it'll cook up fine in an 8x8 square cake pan, I'm sure, or in greased muffin cups. I'm planning on trying it as muffins one time, too.

DJFoodie 12-21-2012 07:36 PM

:yummy:

TxHomeGirl 12-21-2012 08:43 PM

That looks delicious! On my list of things to try. Thanks for the recipe. Looking forward to your review of the version with the pickled jalapenos!

Brendajm 12-22-2012 05:40 AM

This does look awesome. I am going to try this for my Christmas eve get together. Thanks Peggy.

Nigel 12-22-2012 06:00 AM

Lovely Bread. Lovely Picture.
Thank you for the recipe.
I like just about anything spiked with jalapenos.

buttoni 12-22-2012 11:23 AM

Please delete the reference to bacon in the directions here. I did NOT put the bacon in this version of the bread. My copy/paste of the directions of the basic recipe which did have bacon in it should have been more carefully proofread.

Tweaker Geek 12-22-2012 07:40 PM

Buttoni - I wanted to reach right in and try a slice of that bread - awesome looking!

buttoni 12-23-2012 01:56 PM

Don't laugh, you guys, but I cubed up 2/3 of this leftover loaf and made a stuffing to have with my baked chicken last night and it came out REAL good! I only added 1 c. broth, 1 c. each onion and celery, 1/3 c parsley, 2 eggs and 2 tsp. poultry seasoning. The 7x9 pan full browned nicely on the top. This basic bread batter (minus the jalapeno) is now my go-to bread for stuffing. I couldn't taste any jalapeno or cheese in the stuffing though, as the onion/celery dominated (thank goodness, as that was what I was hoping for).

Tweaker Geek 12-23-2012 07:43 PM

Mmmm - stuffing sounds good!