Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Looking for the BEST scone/coffee cake/breakfast treat....

I'm thinking I'd like to make a treat to go with our Christmas breakfast. But, I need a recipe that non low carb people won't know is low carb. Or at least something that is so awesome they won't care.
Would you please share the recipe that you think is the absolute best?
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
George Stella's Raspberry Scones (or blueberry). It's on this site. Easy and yummy.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ry-scones.html

Last edited by watcher513; 12-21-2012 at 03:22 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Do you have/use Carbquik? If so, then my Maple Pecan Scones are easy and tasty, and they make the house smell wonderful while baking.
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Here is a thread on coffee cakes. CarolynF's Rasphberry coffee cake is the first one and I know it is delish and other people will not know it's LC.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ke-recipe.html

Here is Linda Sue's .....Wonderful

CINNAMON CRUMB COFFEE CAKE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Last edited by rosethorns; 12-21-2012 at 07:42 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I'm going to go check out these recipes.

I should have mentioned that I don't use carbquick or any other baking mix. The only flours I use are nut flours and coconut flour.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I pulled the Raspberry Almond Crumb Cake out of the oven a little bit ago and dh has pretty much devoured half of it. I guess that means it passes the non-lowcarber taste test. I was going to try the scones, too, but I think I'll wait as I've got a lot of recipe trial results sitting around waiting to be eaten. It looks like I'll be making this cake for Christmas breakfast.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
whelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
I pulled the Raspberry Almond Crumb Cake out of the oven a little bit ago and dh has pretty much devoured half of it. I guess that means it passes the non-lowcarber taste test. I was going to try the scones, too, but I think I'll wait as I've got a lot of recipe trial results sitting around waiting to be eaten. It looks like I'll be making this cake for Christmas breakfast.
I just made this. The flavors and aroma are wonderful but the texture was off. No height or crumb at all. I used my food processor and wonder if it over pulverized everything. The other thought I had was to sub Jennifer's bake mix for the almond flour to get a true cake like result. I make her muffins routinely and they have the perfect "crumb". Thoughts?
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot

I made this Raspberry Almond Crumb Cake last Saturday. It is beautiful and delicious!

However, I, too, want to try making it a little lighter, and more cakey. More and more the all almond flour cakes are tasting too heavy and oily to me. Has anyone tried making this with one of the bake mixes that uses whey protein, coconut flour, oat fiber, etc.?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Well ok. I just made up this raspberry coffee cake - this time subbing Jennifer Eloff's splendid gluten free bake mix for the almond flour, ounce for ounce. Also mixed by hand instead of my food processor. Also subbed sweetleaf Stevia for the splenda fingers crossed

BTW, a huge thank you to Jennifer Eloff and Charski for their Banana Walnut Bread and Char's Killer Quiche respectively. I owe my ability to stay sugar free gluten free for 3 months now to those two recipes. It sounds ridiculous, I realize, but it was just the extra bit of "normal" yet spectacularly delicious food that kept me going. Since then I've branched out with Chicken Lady's skillet corn bread OMG and Buttoni's almond flour crackers. I've had some flops, but enough successes to keep me going! My DH eats up all the disasters and has still lost weight! I'm so excited to give up sugar and HFCS and wheat flour for GOOD. Never going back!
I'll try to upload a pic of the Almond Raspberry Coffeecake with subs later today. Also review it for "crumb" "rise" and sweetness. I sound like I know what I'm talking about!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Well, this is close, but still a little flat, in terms of height. Sweetness fine. "Crumb" a little too soft. Flavor is spectacular.
I will keep at it.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I think I'll try a longer baking time. The edges puffed up nicely. Any lc baking gurus have any thoughts re: why the edges would do better than the middle in terms of loft?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
I think I'll try a longer baking time. The edges puffed up nicely. Any lc baking gurus have any thoughts re: why the edges would do better than the middle in terms of loft?
I agree about baking longer. Also, mKe sure you have fresh baking powder!

Teresa
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I agree about baking longer. Also, mKe sure you have fresh baking powder!

Teresa
Thank you for the tip! My baking powder is ancient!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Whenever I open a fresh can, I use a permanent marker and put the date on the bottom of the can. I replace it after 6 months. Same with baking soda.

When you're using expensive ingredients, having a failure due to stale BP/BS just isn't worth the $2 or less for a new container of it!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Whenever I open a fresh can, I use a permanent marker and put the date on the bottom of the can. I replace it after 6 months. Same with baking soda.

When you're using expensive ingredients, having a failure due to stale BP/BS just isn't worth the $2 or less for a new container of it!
I sooooo agree! I'm such a newbie at this sf gf lifestyle, but so far everything that is a Charski favorite has been unbelieveable! We must have similar tastebuds! Next to try: lemon curd cheesecake.

Any other favorites? ***drools***
Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Have you tried the gingerbread scones from alldayidreamaboutfood? They are very yummy, IMO. My DH keeps pesting me to make them again and again.

The really awesome thing is that I figured out these can be frozen. So I roll out the circle of dough, cut into wedges, and then flash freeze those on a platter or cookie sheet. Stick in the freezer for 1-2 hrs til firm, then put into whatever freezer container or freezer bag you use.

When you are ready to bake them, just pull out, and I let them sit on the counter while the oven preheats. Works great, and nice to be able to portion them out, have on hand for company, etc. Nothing like having one freshly baked I have started doubling the recipe when I make it as my kids and DH all enjoy this particular recipe.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
Have you tried the gingerbread scones from alldayidreamaboutfood? They are very yummy, IMO. My DH keeps pesting me to make them again and again.

The really awesome thing is that I figured out these can be frozen. So I roll out the circle of dough, cut into wedges, and then flash freeze those on a platter or cookie sheet. Stick in the freezer for 1-2 hrs til firm, then put into whatever freezer container or freezer bag you use.

When you are ready to bake them, just pull out, and I let them sit on the counter while the oven preheats. Works great, and nice to be able to portion them out, have on hand for company, etc. Nothing like having one freshly baked I have started doubling the recipe when I make it as my kids and DH all enjoy this particular recipe.
This sounds awesome!! The convenience factor would be so worth it! One of the difficulties with this new WOE is there's no "taco lc bell".
LOL. Thank you for the lead, I will definitely check it out.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
These mini cinnamon struesel cakes are from Vol. 2, Low-Carbing Among Friends. It is Ginny Larsen's recipe, and I made into minicakes by using a whoopie pie pan.

These would be wonderful to serve to guests at brunch and so easy to serve because of not having to cut a cake. Also, my pan is nonstick and I sprayed it well. They flipped out great--much better than a whole cake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cinnamon Pecan Mini Cakes.jpg (72.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Cinnamon Pecan Mini Cakes-2.jpg (75.3 KB, 6 views)
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
These mini cinnamon struesel cakes are from Vol. 2, Low-Carbing Among Friends. It is Ginny Larsen's recipe, and I made into minicakes by using a whoopie pie pan.

These would be wonderful to serve to guests at brunch and so easy to serve because of not having to cut a cake. Also, my pan is nonstick and I sprayed it well. They flipped out great--much better than a whole cake.
This is all the impetus I needed to buy Vol. 2. I have Vol. 1 AND LOVE IT. These women (& men) are true artists.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

These look and sound great!! I need to utilize my books more. I seem to use the internet for recipes more than the books anymore. I do have vol. 1 and vol. 2, and just ordered vol. 3 today.