Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
stickergoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 273
Gallery: stickergoddess
Stats: 182/154/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 11/03/2012
liquid splenda- bad for you?

I have been reading about liquid splenda- I love the stuff- but i am now wondering if it is a good idea to use it. Silly me did not realize that it was a artificial sweetener. My whole family eats low carb and there are times when my husband gets terrible stomach/bowel issues randomly and I wonder if it is the splenda. I want to try to eliminate it-- what are the lowest and best sugar replacements? I have ordered swerve and I am going to try it. i guess I am wondering about the net effective carbs per cup on erythritol, xylitol, and swerve?? And is everyone now using other sweeteners instead of liquid sucralose?
__________________
Melanie

Proud Mom of 3 beautiful girls.
stickergoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,609
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Those other sweeteners you mentioned are more likely to cause bowel issues than liquid Splenda unless your husband is allergic to it or something.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
The Chicken Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,194
Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Stevia is a natural sweetener.

Stevia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,632
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
You can read bad stuff about ANY artificial sweetener - it just depends on whom you rely for your information!

From my PERSONAL experience, Splenda is fine. Aspartame causes me to have breakouts on my nose, and I've proved to myself beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is what the cause is.

Erythritol is good from a low GI disturbance rate, but is only 70% as sweet as sugar (or Splenda) and has a cooling effect, so it's best used combined with other sweeteners.

Xylitol is pretty well tolerated too, although not as good as E, but also has the cooling effect, and it's toxic to dogs, so beware of THAT.

I do like Stevia but it was a big trial and error process to get one I liked. Some are downright nasty, bitter in even small quantities, and oversweeten with just a few grains too much. I've tried at least 10 kinds and the one I finally found *I* could work with is the NuNaturals NuStevia No Carbs blend. It's mixed with some E, I like the powdered version that comes in a jar and also carry the packets in my purse for iced tea when out.

Maltitol, sorbitol, mannitol, inulin, and a few others cause me awful tummy upset and/or render me unfit to be around other humans, and have also gotten me a few looks of disgust from my cat, so I avoid those most of the time!
__________________
It's easy to be miserable. Being happy takes more work. ~~from Ondine, the movie~~

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,614
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
You can read bad stuff about ANY artificial sweetener - it just depends on whom you rely for your information!

From my PERSONAL experience, Splenda is fine. Aspartame causes me to have breakouts on my nose, and I've proved to myself beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is what the cause is.

Erythritol is good from a low GI disturbance rate, but is only 70% as sweet as sugar (or Splenda) and has a cooling effect, so it's best used combined with other sweeteners.

Xylitol is pretty well tolerated too, although not as good as E, but also has the cooling effect, and it's toxic to dogs, so beware of THAT.

I do like Stevia but it was a big trial and error process to get one I liked. Some are downright nasty, bitter in even small quantities, and oversweeten with just a few grains too much. I've tried at least 10 kinds and the one I finally found *I* could work with is the NuNaturals NuStevia No Carbs blend. It's mixed with some E, I like the powdered version that comes in a jar and also carry the packets in my purse for iced tea when out.

Maltitol, sorbitol, mannitol, inulin, and a few others cause me awful tummy upset and/or render me unfit to be around other humans, and have also gotten me a few looks of disgust from my cat, so I avoid those most of the time!
First of all - baaahaaaaha about the cat!! Too funny!

And secondly - are you serious about the breakouts on your nose? I have had same issue but did not attribute it to aspertame...! Thinking much worse things. I had many bad burns there over the years.....
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 271
Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Aspartame is bad stuff, it is the one you should be avoiding IMO. Just read the book Excitotoxins-The Taste That Kills

As for sucralose, I am sure you can find negative info on it, and I'm not so sure "we" know everything about it yet (time will tell) but I use it sparingly. It is said to cause some distress for some people, so I wouldn't count it out for the issues your husband is having. Some people report headaches and other issues d/t sensitivity. You can try googling, but as was suggested, don't believe EVERYTHING you read. It's good to have an open mind though. HTH
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,632
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

And secondly - are you serious about the breakouts on your nose? I have had same issue but did not attribute it to aspertame...! Thinking much worse things. I had many bad burns there over the years.....
OH yeah, very serious! If I avoid my beloved Coke Zero or diet Coke for a few days to a week, then drink one - bop bam zippo - big nasty sore outbreak on my nose, usually down low on the nasal labia.

I couldn't believe it myself, so have proven this at least 10 times to myself, by not drinking anything sweetened with aspartame, then drinking one of the above mentioned beloved items. Yep. You guessed it. So there is no questioning it for me.

I still enjoy the occasional Coke Zero and if I have ONE and one ONLY in the course of a day or three, I'm OK - but more than that and I get the dreaded Aspartame Zittage. Ugly. AND makes ya wonder what else it is doing?

I don't get any other symptoms from it, no headaches or other weirdness, but the breakouts themselves you'd THINK would be enough to make me quit it altogether. And I did for about 6 months, then one day had a Coke Zero, and I swear - the stuff IS addictive.

And to think - Coke USED to have coca in it!!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,614
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Amazing! I will have to give this a test run. I don't drink 'coke' but diet 7up or sprite. Both use aspartame. That is the only aspartame that I get generally so should be easy to see. I would have never, in a million yrs. attributed that to my weird zit problem. Thank you so much for posting this!!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 893
Gallery: Ann Lytle
Get yourself a Soda Stream Machine, they use Splenda in their flavors. No more problems............... ; o ) Merry Christmas and a great New Year to all.......... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
locarbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 1,594
Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickergoddess View Post
I have been reading about liquid splenda- I love the stuff- but i am now wondering if it is a good idea to use it. Silly me did not realize that it was a artificial sweetener. My whole family eats low carb and there are times when my husband gets terrible stomach/bowel issues randomly and I wonder if it is the splenda. I want to try to eliminate it-- what are the lowest and best sugar replacements? I have ordered swerve and I am going to try it. i guess I am wondering about the net effective carbs per cup on erythritol, xylitol, and swerve?? And is everyone now using other sweeteners instead of liquid sucralose?
Hi Melanie,

You may find this recent article by Dr. Fred Pescatore, MD interesting:

“Stevia Wonder

Dear Reader,

I've always had a love/hate relationship with artificial sweeteners.

For one thing, they're artificial chemicals. And they wreak havoc both on your health and your metabolism.

Which is why, obviously, my end goal is to get my patients to kick sugar and drink nothing but water. It helps speed up metabolism, it flushes the body of toxins, and it keeps everything doing what it needs to do.

But on the other hand, let's face it. If asked to choose between water and soda, most people in this country would choose the latter. And we have the obesity rates to prove it.

So many of my patients are addicted to the stuff. That's why I usually tell them that they can use "diet" products in moderation. Most people have to start with baby steps, and given the severity of the diabesity epidemic, any move in the right direction is a good one.

But again, there's the other side of the coin. For years, I've warned that consuming too many artificial sweeteners could make you fat. I believe that they stimulate hunger and appetite in a way similar to sucrose and fructose.

The results of a new study bear that theory out. Researchers found that rats fed with non-nutritive sweeteners (in this case, saccharin and aspartame) gained more weight than sugar-fed rats...even with similar caloric intakes.

So let's talk for a brief moment about the sweetener I really do like. Stevia.

Stevia is an all-natural, non-caloric sweetener extracted from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant. Its active component, stevioside, is up to 300 times sweeter than regular table sugar (so you need much, much less of it). And people across the world have been safely using it as a sweetener for ages.

Yet Stevia is only now gaining popularity in the
U.S. Why? Because for years, the FDA refused to grant it GRAS--generally recognized as safe--status. And this meant that you could only buy stevia as a nutritional supplement.

Monsanto, that evil chemical company that controls the artificial sweetener industry, lobbied hard against stevia for years. And they won... at least, until they sold the blue packet business to someone else.

Then, miraculously, stevia became "safe" to use. Go figure... But better late than never.

So stevia is much easier to find these days. But you do need to be careful. Those hyped-up brand name products you see ads for all the time aren't pure stevia. They're chemically altered versions of the natural herb--and are often combined with sugar alcohols (which can impact your blood sugar--and your gastrointestinal tract).

I recommend sticking with the "real deal." Luckily, these are also becoming easier to find--even in many regular supermarkets. Personally, I like Sweet Leaf the best, but you might find another version you like just as much.”

You can find more info re: Stevia in this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...id-stevia.html

Hope this helps...locarbman ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 539
Gallery: mojave
WOE: Atkins
I've always had a reaction to Splenda. It makes my bladder hurt. I use stevia, Truvia and eryrithritol. No problems with any of them.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
stickergoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 273
Gallery: stickergoddess
Stats: 182/154/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 11/03/2012
hi everyone. thank you all for the replies and information! i will read more. I personally love the liquid splenda but when i read it was not natural like some of the others- that worried me a little and i was wondering if everyone was switching to other things now since there seems to be a lot of new sugar replacements around. i now have used the swerve- i really like it but i do not like the price-- 13.00 a pound. A few years back i tried the stevia- i did not like it at all, I really only tried it in my drinks and did not like the taste- i think i will try it again for my baking.

Hey Linda sue- I love your website! I will only make the recipes that you rate 3 stars or more. I know it would be alot of work- but it would be great if you would put some sort of rating system by the recipes name on the list- kind of like you do for the induction OK recipes. I am constantly clicking open the recipes to only check what you rate them. Or even if you made another page of your personal favorites. I know- alot to ask- i just value your opinions/ratings of the recipes.

Happy New Year everyone!
stickergoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
No artificial sweetener is natural, including Stevia. All are processed sweeteners and go through some type of chemical processing. The biggest thing for me would be the additives that are added to some sweeteners, like maltodextrin which is added to Splenda granular and Ideal, so I buy liquid Splenda or liquid Stevia to avoid it. I like erythritol and xylitol also because it has nothing added to it.

I personally like to use a combination of erythritol or xylitol, Splenda liquid and Stevia liquid. They seem to work well together and create a synergistic affect.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,573
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
No artificial sweetener is natural, including Stevia. All are processed sweeteners and go through some type of chemical processing. The biggest thing for me would be the additives that are added to some sweeteners, like maltodextrin which is added to Splenda granular and Ideal, so I buy liquid Splenda or liquid Stevia to avoid it. I like erythritol and xylitol also because it has nothing added to it.

I personally like to use a combination of erythritol or xylitol, Splenda liquid and Stevia liquid. They seem to work well together and create a synergistic affect.
You can buy green stevia powder, it is 100% natural. It is just the ground up stevia leaves. DH has actually grown stevia plants before and we even made our own stevia powder. Of course the green powder does not work the same as the purified white powder. I personally like to use liquid sweeteners the best, as they have no bulking agents, or something like NuNaturals pure stevia extract which also has no bulking agents. That said I do use erythritol, liquid splenda, and stevia (extract, liquid or powder) on a regular basis. I also occassionally use lo han guo (monk fruit) and xylitol. I try to avoid aspartame, but I do drink diet soda occassionally and it's hard to avoid in that.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
You can buy green stevia powder, it is 100% natural. It is just the ground up stevia leaves. DH has actually grown stevia plants before and we even made our own stevia powder. Of course the green powder does not work the same as the purified white powder. I personally like to use liquid sweeteners the best, as they have no bulking agents, or something like NuNaturals pure stevia extract which also has no bulking agents. That said I do use erythritol, liquid splenda, and stevia (extract, liquid or powder) on a regular basis. I also occassionally use lo han guo (monk fruit) and xylitol. I try to avoid aspartame, but I do drink diet soda occassionally and it's hard to avoid in that.
Thanks for the info on green stevia, I had never heard of it. It's good to know there are natural sweeteners out there.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,601
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
The green stevia is all natural. I grow the plant, as a plant it is very naturally sweet. When you grind it down it is a light green color. Beautiful plant.

I agree with Gina. I won't eat the maltodextrin filled sweetners. I found out early in my journey that I can;t handle maltodextrin at all.

I know what I can handle now. Everybody will learn that. I also have to keep my food pretty close to paleo. But that's just me and good for me.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
This article below may reassure a few people re sucralose. We've used large quantities of sucralose (actually Splenda Granular mostly and sucralose in the last 5 years, plus erythritol) for 20 years in our family. We also consumed a fair amount of aspartame for 6 or 7 years (in diet soda), but have quit completely as diet coke in particular is bad news for the nervous system and brain, in my opinion. It causes inflammation in the body which is also implicated in weight gain.

The article is from the Discovery News Site re Sucralose (Splenda without the maltodextrin bulking agent):

Sucralose, the artificial sweetener in Splenda, is one tough molecule. Chlorine does not break off from the molecule.


The chemical passes right through the body, then through sewage treatment systems and out into surface and ground waters looking the same as it did when it was stirred into a cup of coffee.

No one knows how the ever-greater amounts of sucralose release into the environment affect the ecosystem. But research published in Environmental Engineering Science shows that the artificial sweetener is indeed making it through traditional water filtering systems.

BLOG: Sugar's Power Over Humans Traced

The study’s authors, Arizona State University researchers Cesar Torres and Rosa Krajmalnik-Brown, recently studied the path sucralose follows from humans to rivers and other bodies of water.

“Sucralose is a chlorinated sugar. Some of my work focuses on bioremediation of chlorinated organics,” says Krajmalnik-Brown in an ASU press release. “I know that many are toxic and they are more difficult to biodegrade than the non-chlorinated counterparts. Because of this, I became interested in sucralose and its fate in the environment.”

Samples of wastewater were taken from seven wastewater-processing plants in Arizona. For at least 48 days, the water was run through both anaerobic and aerobic biological batch reactors, systems designed to use natural processes to break down wastes. None of the samples showed a significant decrease in the amount of sucralose present.

Another set of experiments looked at the effects of chlorine, ozone, and ultraviolet light on the sucralose. Those three methods are used in the final stages of wastewater treatment, but none proved effective at breaking down sucralose.

The resilience of sucralose may be a good thing in some ways. The researchers note that its resistance to degradation keeps it from breaking down into highly toxic chlorinated compounds.Sucralose could even be used to label water sources and trace wastewater as it flows into the environment.

BLOG: Sugarcane Cools Climate, Heats Up Tax Debate

Sucralose is already in more than 4000 products and the number of new products containing it increased by 14 percent in 2010. As the artificial sweetener continues to grow in popularity, we may want to keep an eye on where it ends up. It may well be there for a long time.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.