Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Got tagatose?

Has anyone experimented with tagatose? Just got my 1 lb in. It has a nice, clean sweet taste in coffee. But I'm most interested in baking with it since supposedly it carmelizes. The bag I have is 100% tagatose and is supposed to be 92% as sweet as sugar.

Apparently it carmelizes a little too well, though. It looks like the first time this sweetener was on the market, it was blended with inulin and isomalt (just 30% tagatose in the mix) to prevent baked goods from over-browning. Isomalt is out for me as the gut just can't take it but usually I do okay on inulin.

Anyway, just wanted to check and see if anyone had any luck with this stuff before I dive in.

Thanks!

Kelly
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: efithian
I purchased five pounds of Tagatose from NuNaturals for $39.95 with free shipping. I had tried Tagatesse, which I purchased from German eBay which was good but includes sucralose (Splenda).

I tried a teaspoon with grapefruit and it was indistinguishable from sugar. Tagatose has a nice reaction with citrus fruits.

My next project was to bake Italian Pizzelle cookies. I use a standard recipe: flour, butter, vanilla, tagatose, anise, fennel seeds, eggs. I used 7/8 cup of tagatose rather than 3/4 cup sugar. The dough was typical pizzelle dough; very sticky.

Baking results were interesting. The cookies browned much more quickly. I had to reduce the temp on the iron to prevent burning. With the lower temp and less browning, they appeared not to be crisp enough; probably under-baked. I placed some in a toaster oven at 200° for a few minutes, and they became crispier and a little darker. The taste is perfect, but the browning needs some attention. I will try baking longer at a lower temp and see how that works.

It might be necessary when baking to use a slightly lower temperature and a slightly longer cooking time. Tomorrow I will try an apple pie.
efithian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I got a free sample several years ago from Arla industries. I used it mainly to sprinkle over chicken that I was barbecuing in order to help it get that dark, crispy sear. It's been several years since it has been available, so nice to know we can get it now. Keep letting us know about your experiments--wonder if combining it with erythritol would help reduce the over-browning?

Last edited by dianafoot; 12-18-2012 at 03:45 PM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I am taking baby steps. . . all miserly with my 1 lb of sweetener, lol. Made a quick cream cheese topping for a muffin (yeah, from a mix--it was fast, but not a good as so many of the recipes here) with Tagatose where I would usually use liquid splenda+erythritol.

This was really tasty--indistinguishable to me from a sugar-sweetened version.

So glad to hear that others are trying this out, too!!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Tagatose

Would you please share the nutritional information with us?

thanks,
b
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
I realize it doesn't say what is IN the product. Hmm. It's all tagatose I guess :P LOL. But what is it?!

I am also interested in the fact that it acts like sugar. I might buy a few bags. They're 8 bucks a pound.

Last edited by alonewithyou; 12-19-2012 at 03:54 AM..
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Just bought 5lbs. Can't wait to experiment.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Great! Tell us how it works
Old 12-21-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will. First on the list is Caramel Sauce.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

You can purchase 100% Tagatose from:

https://nunaturals.com/product/566

Tagatose has the same molecular arrangement as sucrose, except that it is a mirror image and its effects are not the same as sucrose. It occurs naturally in milk products. There is an interesting article at:

https://nunaturals.com/page/313

I tried a lemon cake the other day. Here is the recipe:

http://home.ptd.net/~efithian/Tagatose-Lemon-Cake.pdf

The result was excellent and was derived from a woman in Belgium who has it online:

Easy Lemon Cake #SugarFreeNovember Recipe - vanevalentine FOOD

It holds up well. I have it in aluminum foil on the counter. I am diabetic, so my carb/sugar intake is restricted but my body can tolerate this sugar.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post

I am also interested in the fact that it acts like sugar. I might buy a few bags. They're 8 bucks a pound.
Actually $5/lb if you buy a 44 lb bag with a discount ;-)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Good recipe for Almond Paste with Tagatose

http://home.ptd.net/~efithian/Almond-Paste.pdf
Old 12-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
I have some Tagatose I got from NuNaturals as a sample...might just have to give it a try.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

I tried some spritz cookies made with tagatose instead of sugar. I placed a dried organic bing cherry in the center. They were baked normally, and the color was good. After sitting in a can for a few hours, they were not at all crisp and the texture was not good.

I placed them in a toaster oven set at 200° for 20 minutes. They browned only slightly and lost their soft texture. They are now crispy and tasty. I still think they need to be baked for a longer period of time at a lower temperature. Still experimenting.

Pignoli cookies with almond paste will be a challenge. They need to be soft and springy.

Last edited by efithian; 12-24-2012 at 06:01 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Subscribing
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for experimenting with tagatose. I had despaired of ever finding it offered on the market again and am delighted to find that it's finally found its way in. I just ordered 7 pounds and look forward to experimenting with it!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I want to subscribe. I haven't ever used it and would love to see more recipes.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just got my delivery of tagatose and made caramel sauce. It is absolutely delicious. It is a little darker than caramel sauce made wil regular sugar, but the taste and texture are indistinguishable from the sugar kind. I was trying to use my candy thermometer to figure out temperatures for those of you who might be interested. But it cooked so fast, I had no time. I can tell you that it cooked at a much lower temperature than regular caramel. I don't know if I could make a chewy caramel candy, although my sauce is pretty thick. I would have to fiddle with cooking times and temps. I think a longer slower cooking time might work. My next experiment will be cookies, because I am interested in crunchy carmelized cookies. I will use a mixture of sweeteners. Here's hoping.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I just got my delivery of tagatose and made caramel sauce. It is absolutely delicious. It is a little darker than caramel sauce made wil regular sugar, but the taste and texture are indistinguishable from the sugar kind. I was trying to use my candy thermometer to figure out temperatures for those of you who might be interested. But it cooked so fast, I had no time. I can tell you that it cooked at a much lower temperature than regular caramel. I don't know if I could make a chewy caramel candy, although my sauce is pretty thick. I would have to fiddle with cooking times and temps. I think a longer slower cooking time might work. My next experiment will be cookies, because I am interested in crunchy carmelized cookies. I will use a mixture of sweeteners. Here's hoping.

Bravo on the caramel! Thank you!!!
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
If you can make caramel or a caramel sauce with it, I am really interested. Tell us how you made it please.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Yes please. Did you use just tagatose?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I second that, Soobee, will you tell us how you made the caramel? I just received 10 pounds of tagatose and will be experimenting with using it alone and blending it with other sweeteners. Wonder why Tagatesse used isomalt and not xylitol or erythritol?

Last edited by dianafoot; 01-04-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Caramel Sauce
! cup tagatose
3 Tbs. water
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 Tbs. butter
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Put water and tagatose in a bigger saucepan than you think you need. Stir it once or twice until dissolved. Try to clear crystals from the sides of the pan. Cover pan so the steam will wash the sides of the pan. When boiling nicely, uncover. Do not stir any more. You can swirl the pan if you need to. Cook until the desired darkness. I went until it was like an old penny. Next time I will stop at a new penny. Put in the cream. It will boil up furiously. At this time, I planned to cook it again to bring up the temperature, but it darkened so precipitously, I pulled it off the heat. Add in the rest of the ingredients.

It never got as dangerously hot as a caramel made with sugar, but upon cooling, thickened nicely. I think it's thick enough to use to top cookies without dripping off. I made Carolyn's Turtle cookies before, without the tagalose, and although the flavor was good, the cookies were soft and the erythritol caramel was pale, crunchy, and barely caramel-flavored. I think some tagatose in the cookies will crisp them up, and this caramel sauce on top will be terrific. I'll experiment next week.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the recipe.

Ok, has anyone eaten enough of this to tell if it causes tummy issues?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Ordered 5 lbs from Nu Naturals. Shipping is free for orders over $35. This just qualifies for that. However, there is a coupon code you find by googling NuNaturals coupon code. It gave me $9 discount. Total order was $26.99.

There was another coupon code to be used for 1 lb tagatose for 33% off and a free shipping coupon code as well.

The caramel success sold me!

Lots of information about tagatose here:

Tagatose
Sugar reinvented!

Only under the microscope can you see the difference from traditional sugar crystals. This product will pass the taste test of the most fanatical sugar lover without any problem. But it is nevertheless no ordinary sugar. It is the sugar of the future.
tagatoseicon.jpg
What is Tagatose Sugar?

Tagatose is a natural sugar which is extracted from lactose. Enzimes are used to extract Tagatose and at the end of the process no Lactose is left. Now here's the technical bit - Lactose is split into galactose and glucose by hydrolysis. Galactose is then converted into Tagatose by an enzymatic process. After a final purification process a beautiful white crystal structure with a delicious natural sugar flavour is obtained. Tagatose is also naturally present in certain types of dairy products and fruit.
Advantages

Tagatose was originally developed by a pharmaceutical multinational for post-operative treatment of bowel cancer. Its sweet taste and numerous other advantages were discovered later on:

With a glycaemic index of 2, Tagatose is suitable for type I & II diabetics. Blood sugar levels remain unaffected. In fact some studies show it may even help prevent the onset of diabetes.
glycemic_index.jpg

As a pre-biotic, Tagatose stimulates and improves the bowl and digestion system.

Its calorific value is only 1.5 kcal/g. Ordinary sugar is 4 kcal/g. As you only consume half the quantity of ordinary sugar, it is over 5 times lower in calories!
calorie_info.jpg

Tagatose is tooth-friendly and carries the tooth friendly mark. In fact it has an anti-cavity effect, thus helping to maintain teeth rather than rot it like ordinary sugar.

Tagatesse, was the first member of the Tagatose product range. Tagatesse is made up of a number of ingredients - Tagatose (39,92%), dietary fibres (20,14%: inulin and oligo-saccharides), isomalt (39,92%) and sucralose (0,02%). This combination makes Tagatesse extremely suitable for baking (Tagatose has a high browning effect in itself), in hot drinks, on your fruit or cereal… in short everywhere you normally use traditional sugar!

Tagatesse is simple to use: because Tagatesse’s sweetening power is twice as high as that of ordinary sugar, you only need half of what is mentioned in any recipe. So simply divide the quantity of traditional sugar required by two, and you will get an absolutely delicious result.

Tagatesse is best stored in a well-sealed, moisture-free environment (e.g. a sugar jar). It is important that Tagatesse does not come into contact with moisture (hot steam, a wet spoon etc.), otherwise it tends to form lumps or become hard.
Some more simple tips for successful cooking:

Put your pastries in the oven for longer at a lower temperature (e.g. 160°C).
Add some extra moisture to your mixture, for example, add a sliced apple or Thehealthyfoodshop’s jam with Tagatose.
Optionally cover your pastry with kitchen foil for the last 10 minutes, so your dish does not brown too much.

Extensive studies have been done on the use of, reactions to and action of Tagatose. Research has shown that Tagatose is an alternative to saccharose and/ or other sweeteners.

In 1999, The FDA (Food and Drug Administration), which is the American testing service for food, declared that Tagatose was an absolutely safe ingredient. This was also confirmed in 2007 by the EFSA (European Food Safety Agency).

Last edited by slbbw; 01-04-2013 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Added info
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Soobee, thanks for the detailed instructions on the caramel. I tried a similar recipe and burned the heck out of it. (Important safety tip, folks, this stuff goes from perfect to stubbornly affixed to the bottom of your favorite saucepan and an integral part of the air in your kitchen in about 3 seconds!) I'm going to give it another try because caramel is a huge favorite of mine and one of those things that I just haven't found a satisfactory version of for using in sweets. I have used the caramel flavor davinci's in some things -- use sparingly, it's strong -- it's decent, but doesn't give you the texture component.

I need to order more tagatose so I'm not such a miser about it. Still liking it a lot on berries. Tried it as a sweetener in whipped cream -- worked great -- not sure if it's any better than the usual suspects in that, but it works. Worked well in a no-bake cheesecake; I used half liquid splenda and half tagatose and liked the flavor much better than my using all splenda. (I don't like E in cheesecake for some reason.)

No real baking yet-has been crazy in our world. Hot chocolate might be today's experiment though. I made one with coconut milk last weekend and liked it, but didn't love the sweetener combo I ended up using. . . this might be a good fit.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

did anybody try using Tagatesse when it was around? I have the tagatose, isomalt, inulin (in a small jar), and I think something with FOS in it. Was wondering how the Tagatesse tasted and reacted. Would love to figure out a combination of sweeteners that would use tagatose and other things for optimal results.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Slbbw, could you share with us the code you used to get the $9 off? I can't seem to locate it, found one for free shipping but it says it has expired. TIA
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Slbbw, could you share with us the code you used to get the $9 off? I can't seem to locate it, found one for free shipping but it says it has expired. TIA
Try code FB1F

I'd like to try this but it says to order the 1 lb. bag if you've never used it before and aren't sure you like it. I guess I will do that.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

I tried that code Misti and it said it had expired. So, I ordered 4 lbs, which made it to over $35 so that I got free shipping. Then, as soon as I placed my order, I looked around the site and there was a special on 5 lbs for about $36 or so. I emailed them to ask if they would change my order to the 5 lb and adjust pricing. Being the weekend, not sure when I will hear back. I sure hope it agrees with me as 5 lbs can be a lot if it doesn't or very little if I love it LOL