Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #181
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Hi! I know this is an old thread, but I found it while doing some research on Tagatose and decided to order a couple of bags. Is anyone still using this? I'm planning to use it in some ice cream and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with that?
EnglishLit is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
I am still using it english lit - I have used it in bbq sauce and want to see if it will brown under the broiler. (froze the sauce cause no ribs to cook yet!)

I also just made the sweetened condensed milk recipe posted on page 6, in order to make paletas. Will let you know how it goes. In the meantime, more paletas recipes!
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
I use it and often combine it with erythritol or xylitol when making sweets.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:26 AM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I use it all the time in small amounts. I like it best for anything caramel. I use it as part of my sweetener mix for chocolate baked goods. I like its browning properties for barbecue sauce. Any time I want a sweetener with a clean sugary taste, I will use some. I don't use it exclusively, because it is expensive and it actually browns too much.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I've been using it. One more tool in the arsenal. I like it better than erythritol or xylitol and the caramelization helps other types of sweeteners like Just Like Sugar or sucralose taste more sugar-like in baking. To me, anyway.

Works so well for glazing pecans...
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
I've been using it. One more tool in the arsenal. I like it better than erythritol or xylitol and the caramelization helps other types of sweeteners like Just Like Sugar or sucralose taste more sugar-like in baking. To me, anyway.

Works so well for glazing pecans...
Would you write down your recipe for glazed pecans?
Old 07-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post
Would you write down your recipe for glazed pecans?
I'd love to have that recipe. I have Tagatose but never thought of using it for glazed pecans. Has anyone used it for lemon curd?
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Happy to oblige! It is pretty simple and not much of a recipe and not very specific, as I am lazy. If I was not, I'd do it up proper and oven roast the nuts, glaze them in tagatose simple syrup, drain, and toast again in the oven to dry. But this is almost as good.

Base Recipe:
Sauteed Buttered Nuts from Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything.
I sautee instead of oven roast as the results have always been better for me. I'd rather stir for 10 minutes then lose a pound of nuts to the oven again.

2 cups (about 1 pound) of nuts. Walnuts and pecans work best.
4 TB salted butter. This is the time to break out the Kerrygold.
Seasonings. For savory, usually somewhere between 1 tsp and 1 TB of whatever sounds good (chili powder, cumin, creole blend) and some extra salt. Be conservative as the flavor gets stronger when they cool. For sweet, I think I used at least a quarter of a cup of tagatose and probably added some liquid sucralose (maybe equiv. to 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar) to the butter to punch it up. If you want to put in cinnamon, put it in before the tagatose, but I haven't had good luck with getting the flavor to come through.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. When it is melted and hot, put in the nuts. Stir. Keep stirring. Should take about 10 minutes to light brown. I start adding seasonings about halfway though with savory nuts. For sweet, I put in the liquid sucralose sometime after the butter is melted, and the tagatose at about 7 minutes. It gets melty enough to stick, but hasn't burned by the time the nuts are done. Then I dump the nuts on a baking sheet to cool. Do not eat them hot, as this is a good way to get mouth burns. Enjoy results and decide what to tweak for next time.

Sorry, not the most coherent instructions. It has been a rough day.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
@solarpluvia: thanks! I used tagatose to oven roast some pecans once, they stuck like crazy and I burnt my mouth eating them, as you warned! I'll try your method next time.

Has anyone had stall/ketosis-kick-out side effects from tagatose? my ketostix went to a very boring beige tonight after tasting my sweetened condensed milk as I made it, and having a spoonful in my BPC. (I know the stix are not too reliable so grain of salt has been taken)
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

It seems to me that just about anything can knock a person out of ketosis, even if blood glucose isn't elevated.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll make these this weekend. The trick will be to control how many I eat.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #191
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I am using it more and more. It used to cause me really bad gastric distress, but slowly adding it to my foods and drinks, I've built up a tolerance to it. Now I can have up to teaspoons in drinks and use it in baked goods with no issues at all.

It is almost always 1/4 of the sweetener I use in any recipe. I like tagatose because of it's clean, pure authentically sugar taste, erythritol and xylitol, and then a sweetener with inulin that will balance the e and x, like JustLikeSugar or Diabetisweet. I'm really starting to get the hang of alternative sweeteners.
EnglishLit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

solarpluvia, thanks for the info on the glazed nuts!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:31 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
I'd love to have that recipe. I have Tagatose but never thought of using it for glazed pecans. Has anyone used it for lemon curd?
I just made lemon curd tonight, for no apparant reason. It was so easy. Really.

Slightly adapted from a recipe and method I found somewhere else but am too tired to find the link.

Lemon curd

1/2 cup lemon juice (I used bottled not from concentrate brand.)

equivalent of 1/2 sugar: 2 TB tagatose, 2 TB powdered erythritol, 2 TB Just Like Sugar baking. Plus a few drops of 2x strength EZ sweets to tweak. Could have used all tagatose, but I like to mix them.

3 large eggs

1/2 cup (8 TB or 4 oz.) unsalted butter

Optional: Lemon zest or a few drops of lemon oil.

In a large saucepan (2 qt.) set the butter to melt on low heat. In a large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and beat until well blended (could be done in a blender). When the butter is melted and warm but not hot, add the mixture, increase to medium-low heat, and whisk until it is thick enough to coat a spoon, remove from heat and whisk a few more minutes. Do not let it get hot enough to simmer or boil. Mine took maybe 15 minutes until I thought it looked right. Let it cool a bit, pour into container(s), and refridgerate.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
I just made lemon curd tonight, for no apparant reason. It was so easy. Really.

Slightly adapted from a recipe and method I found somewhere else but am too tired to find the link.

Lemon curd

1/2 cup lemon juice (I used bottled not from concentrate brand.)

equivalent of 1/2 sugar: 2 TB tagatose, 2 TB powdered erythritol, 2 TB Just Like Sugar baking. Plus a few drops of 2x strength EZ sweets to tweak. Could have used all tagatose, but I like to mix them.

3 large eggs

1/2 cup (8 TB or 4 oz.) unsalted butter

Optional: Lemon zest or a few drops of lemon oil.

In a large saucepan (2 qt.) set the butter to melt on low heat. In a large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and beat until well blended (could be done in a blender). When the butter is melted and warm but not hot, add the mixture, increase to medium-low heat, and whisk until it is thick enough to coat a spoon, remove from heat and whisk a few more minutes. Do not let it get hot enough to simmer or boil. Mine took maybe 15 minutes until I thought it looked right. Let it cool a bit, pour into container(s), and refridgerate.
This sounds good. Thanks for testing it for me I have made lemon curd before but just couldn't get it sweet enough. I'm very sensitive to the cooling effect of erythritol - so don't like to use too much of it. I don't have Just Like Sugar. I think I will try ¼ C of Tagatose and 2 Tbs Erythritol with the rest EZ sweets. Tagatose is supposed to be good with sour things and I find it really raises the sweetness level a lot used with sucralose in coffee. I just haven't used it in large amounts yet.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

I don't like the cooling from erythritol either, but it does come in handy sometimes as part of a blend. Because Just Like Sugar is a fiber-based sweetener it stems the cooling effect. I think of it as erythritol + JLS = homemade Swerve. You could do half tagatose and half EZ sweets just fine. My mother did a batch with just EZ sweets a while back and it was lovely.

I had some of the lemon curd I made last night for breakfast on a piece of my biscuit bread. It is wonderfully rich and zippy! I think I'm going to use some to make lemon mousse for Friday night dessert.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

I do like to use erythritol as part of a blend also and use some in everything I make, but am careful to use no more than ¼C in a recipe that calls for 1C or more of sweetener - maybe a little more in cheesecake. I do have Swerve but I find that it has the same cooling effect on me, so I'm just careful of the amount on both. I really like tagatose just not sure about using a large amount at one time. I think ¼ C combined with the sucrolose and a little E should sweeten well. I'm anxious to make it as soon as I get a chance.