Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Callieco, thanks for posting this! OMG, I never thought I would be able to have one of my old faves from my culture. I am now sipping on some Low carb Jamaican Chocolate Tea thanks to your post. Never thought I'd be able to have it again. My dad will be so happy. He makes it better than anyone. Even the top restaurants on the island don't make it as good as my dad does IMO. When I visit him, I have to say no. Now I can say yes! As long as I bring my new found low carb condensed milk. I've tried crema sweetened with splenda but it just wasn't the same. I'm about to order more Tagatose now that I can have my Jamaican Chocolate Tea. Yayyyy!

By the way if you ever come across an ethnic grocer that carries Jamaican chocolate balls. Pick some up and make this. You can also order it online if you ever wish to try this. It will be the best hot chocolate drink you ever had. The chocolate balls are made the old fashioned way. Picked from the cacoa pods, dried, and ground with mortar and pestle and hand rolled into chocolate balls. No sugar is added.
I don't know all the steps but I have fond memories of my grandmother making her chocolate balls by hand early in the morning to go with breakfast.

Here's a recipe

1 Jamaican Chocolate Ball.

3 tbsp. Sugar

¼ cup Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 quart Water

A pinch of Salt.

dash of nutmeg

1 tsp vanilla

3 Cinnamon Leaves or 2 Cinnamon Sticks

Grate Jamaican chocolate ball in a plate. Bring the water to boil in the meantime, and then add chocolate and cinnamon to the pot of boiling water.

Allow the tea to boil for fifteen to twenty minutes. Sweetened to taste then remove cinnamon.

Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy your Jamaican hot chocolate with a friend

(Sometimes coconut milk is used for this drink)

A word of caution:

1. If you use cocoa powder, you will not get the same effect.

2. This tea retains its heat for a long time, so don’t rush drinking it.

YAH MON!

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-20-2013 at 07:27 AM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
How much tagatose per can of crema are you using?
Hi Soobee. I only had a little bit of Crema left so when I read this, I ran to the kitchen and added some Tagatose to it. Didn't measure. I am going to buy a new can today and measure out how much it takes to sweeten.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Hi Soobee. I only had a little bit of Crema left so when I read this, I ran to the kitchen and added some Tagatose to it. Didn't measure. I am going to buy a new can today and measure out how much it takes to sweeten.
Thanks, I , too would like the amounts.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok so I bought 2 new cans.
For the first can, I originally did 2 TBS and it was good but then thought it could use more so I added another TBS. Thought it was a tad bit too sweet

So for the 2nd can I did 2 TBS and then added a few drops of liquid sucralose.

I think the magic number for me may be 2.5 TBS - I need another can to try that.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Thank you Tulips. I'll try 2 and1/2 Tbs. Thanks again.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
We appreciate your efforts. I will definitely use your recipe.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
Start Date: 020110
Sorry guys. I go for long periods when I'm not able to get back here. I used 1/2 cup tagatose to one can of the table cream. I also cooked it until it started bubbling up at the edges. Turned out great. Little more caramelly than regular but thick and sweet.

I tried an Almond Joy Impossible pie with it and BTF - The high carb recipe called for sweetened condensed milk so I was looking around my kitchen and saw the table cream can and thought -there you go.

Texture of this was pretty good but way too coconutty for me. If anyone wants the recipe I'll post it - maybe it can be tweaked. Definately needs a lot more chocolate.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Callieco, thanks for posting this! OMG, I never thought I would be able to have one of my old faves from my culture. I am now sipping on some Low carb Jamaican Chocolate Tea thanks to your post. Never thought I'd be able to have it again. My dad will be so happy. He makes it better than anyone. Even the top restaurants on the island don't make it as good as my dad does IMO. When I visit him, I have to say no. Now I can say yes! As long as I bring my new found low carb condensed milk. I've tried crema sweetened with splenda but it just wasn't the same. I'm about to order more Tagatose now that I can have my Jamaican Chocolate Tea. Yayyyy!

By the way if you ever come across an ethnic grocer that carries Jamaican chocolate balls. Pick some up and make this. You can also order it online if you ever wish to try this. It will be the best hot chocolate drink you ever had. The chocolate balls are made the old fashioned way. Picked from the cacoa pods, dried, and ground with mortar and pestle and hand rolled into chocolate balls. No sugar is added.
I don't know all the steps but I have fond memories of my grandmother making her chocolate balls by hand early in the morning to go with breakfast.

Here's a recipe

1 Jamaican Chocolate Ball.

3 tbsp. Sugar

¼ cup Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 quart Water

A pinch of Salt.

dash of nutmeg

1 tsp vanilla

3 Cinnamon Leaves or 2 Cinnamon Sticks

Grate Jamaican chocolate ball in a plate. Bring the water to boil in the meantime, and then add chocolate and cinnamon to the pot of boiling water.

Allow the tea to boil for fifteen to twenty minutes. Sweetened to taste then remove cinnamon.

Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy your Jamaican hot chocolate with a friend

(Sometimes coconut milk is used for this drink)

A word of caution:

1. If you use cocoa powder, you will not get the same effect.

2. This tea retains its heat for a long time, so don’t rush drinking it.

YAH MON!

I've never heard of this. It sounds fantastic. I'll have to look for it online..don't think we have any stores around here that would carry the chocolate balls. In the meantime, would this recipe work with regular unsweetened chocolate?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'd love the recipe. No such thing as too coconutty for me!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'd love the recipe. No such thing as too coconutty for me!
Impossible Almond Joy Pie (from Bisquick recipe)

Make sweetened condensed milk substitute first so it has time to cool
1 can crema
½ cup tagatose

Put in small saucepan and heat on medium, stirring, until it starts to bubble at sides of pan. Keep cooking until it’s thick enough to coat spoon. Add ½ stick butter until melted and then put mixture in fridge to cool.

In a bowl whisk 4 eggs with 1 tsp vanilla
Add 2 cups low carb milk (I used ½ cream ½ water)
Mix until well combined

Add:
½ cup BTF mix
½ cup equivalent sugar sub ( I used ¼ cup plus 2 tbl tagatose and ¼ cup Swerve)
crema mixture

Combine well

Mix in:
½ cup slivered almonds
1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut
½ cup chocolate chunks ( I used 4 squares of 72% Lindt bar)

The batter will be runny

Spray 10” pie pan and add batter
Bake 350 for about 1 and 1/2 hours or until toothpick comes out clean.

Garnish with drizzled chocolate and almonds. Serve with whipped cream.

It doesn’t really taste like an almond joy but it has the same flavors with a verrry dominant coconut flavor. I think I would keep the recipe the way it is for everything else but cut down the coconut to ¾ to 1 cup and then add cocoa powder and more sweetener, if needed, to the mix.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I've never heard of this. It sounds fantastic. I'll have to look for it online..don't think we have any stores around here that would carry the chocolate balls. In the meantime, would this recipe work with regular unsweetened chocolate?
Not sure. It probably would still be good. But I don't know if you would get the same taste that you would get from the chocolate balls. Its a hot chocolate experience that is very different from any other hot chocolate I've ever tasted.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
That big online retailer that used to sell only books sells a few different varieties of Jamaican chocolate tea balls.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
That big online retailer that used to sell only books sells a few different varieties of Jamaican chocolate tea balls.

I found a couple sellers there but the shipping was almost twice as much as the product. I also looked on line and they all seem to actually be coming from Jamaica - imagine that . But again the shipping for what you get is pretty high.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Has anyone had any luck 'building up tolerance' to the tagatose, stomach-wise? I have quite a few pounds left but it really did a number on me.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am not having a problem with it, but I only use it in small amounts. I use it in my microwave breads and cupcakes. For the breads I only use 1 tsp for my recipe and I get 2 servings from that recipe so I am taking in 1/2 tsp only when I have my microwave bread. I do 1 TBS and I also add liquid splenda to my cupcakes. My cupcake recipe gives me 4 cupcakes.

The only time I have an issue with it is when I combine it with malitol products. Malitol on its own in small amounts is usually not a problem for me but combined with Tagatose, uhm yeah I was in extreme distress. So no more combining those 2 for me. Bummer because the cookies I made and added the malitol honey were awesome.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I've been gradually using a higher and higher percentage of tagatose in my recipes compared to the other sweeteners I use. That is, now I might use 2/3 tagatose to 1/3 erythritol with a drop or 2 of liquid splenda. I find tagatose sweetened things to be almost completely indistinguishable from those sweetened with sugar. I have to watch the amount of tagatose, though, because things can turn out too sweet--guess I am used to erythritol not being as sweet, or I am just use to not liking things as sweet as I used to. No more tummy problems, either. I think I have built up a tolerance.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
Has anyone had any luck 'building up tolerance' to the tagatose, stomach-wise? I have quite a few pounds left but it really did a number on me.
I have! Luckily, because I too bought a lot. I'm able to have quite a bit, I like my coffee pretty sweet
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

I am getting ready to make cheesecake and my recipe says to beat the sugar into the cream cheese for 4 minutes. Has anyone tried beating tagatose into butter or cream cheese? Does it dissolve and get fluffy like sugar does? I'm thinking that when I tried that with erythritol, it did not dissolve, but remained gritty.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
I bought a bag of tagatose but have yet to use it. What carb count are people using for this stuff?
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Caramel Sauce
! cup tagatose
3 Tbs. water
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 Tbs. butter
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Put water and tagatose in a bigger saucepan than you think you need. Stir it once or twice until dissolved. Try to clear crystals from the sides of the pan. Cover pan so the steam will wash the sides of the pan. When boiling nicely, uncover. Do not stir any more. You can swirl the pan if you need to. Cook until the desired darkness. I went until it was like an old penny. Next time I will stop at a new penny. Put in the cream. It will boil up furiously. At this time, I planned to cook it again to bring up the temperature, but it darkened so precipitously, I pulled it off the heat. Add in the rest of the ingredients.

Oh my goodness just made this- totally worth the price of admission! I used some to sweeten my iced coffee it was super yummy. I've never made caramel sauce before and it came out perfect using the above directions. Yum yum yum I can't wait to make ice cream and top with the caramel!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

made the cheesecake and it was delicious. Been running to the loo, though, even though I cut the tagatose with some liquid splenda/sucralose. I have to keep experimenting to find just the right balance. Sometimes it bothers me, sometimes not.

Last edited by dianafoot; 06-23-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

I had to share a pic of my caramel I just love it, so good in my iced coffee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130624_095155.jpg (34.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
made jerky with tagatose

I replaced 2 Tlb of brown sugar with 2 Tlb tagatose for jerky marinade and it was just great. The frustrating element was that I couldn't find my powdered blackstrap molasses for a little extra flavor. (I've bought so many cooking ingredients that my usually organized kitchen has bags and cannisters stuffed into every cabinet.) As soon as the molasses re-appears, then it will be mixed with the tagatose for rib rub. I love the slightly sweet taste of brown sugar in rubs and barbeque sauces.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
Could I just ask if the caramel sauce works with for example 1 cup tagatose? Or 2? thanks
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
Could I just ask if the caramel sauce works with for example 1 cup tagatose? Or 2? thanks
I used 1 cup per the recipe. You can double all if you need more.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Has anybody tried ice cream with this? I just bought an ice cream maker and was hoping to use a regular recipe and just swap the sugar for tagatose.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
thanks!
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Mmm I made these last night, super good. Not overly sweet, so if you like it on the very sweet side I'd add more sugar, but they turned out great. Next time I will try a more traditional recipe using the Tagatose Condensed Cream and compare the two. As is though this is a perfect hot summer day treat - I LOVED these growing up

Paletas de Coco

Ingredients:

15 oz can of coconut milk
1/2 cup Tagatose
1 cup ice cubes
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk (I used Carb Countdown)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (or more I think I used 3/4 cup I like LOTS of coconut)
Popsicle Mold

Preparation:
Bring the coconut milk to a slow simmer. Add the sugar and stir occasionally until sugar has melted into the milk. Remove from heat and pour into large measuring cup, and add ice and stir until it is melted and the coconut milk is cooled. Add in the milk, heavy cream and vanilla. Pour the coconut mixture into each mold to reach the top. Freeze until solid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130627_125029_Richtone(HDR).jpg (26.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Has anyone tried making flan with Tagatose? Or a french Creme Caramel? I really miss that thin caramel sauce, and was hoping this sweetener might work for it.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You might have to lower the cooking temperature.