Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SCOTTSDALE.AZ
Posts: 4,056
Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Thanks, Soobee
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 100
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
Is everyone mixing sweetners..Ie. Tagatose plus splenda or E, or are you using it alone. Thanks
I always mix too. I've been using erythritol and Tagatose as my primary sweetener for most things. I use 1/4 cup plus 2 tbl erythritol to 1/4 cup Tagatose for 1/2 cup sugar equivalent. I haven't tried using Tagatose alone for anything. Sometimes I'll throw in some other sweetener just because I have it but I'm pretty happy with that combination since it seems the closest to sugar to me.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #123
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,095
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I made a ridiculously fantastic blend with this using 1/2 cup of tagatose, 2 cups of Now Foods erythritol and 1t of NuNaturals stevia. It was absolutely perfect and I plan on using it today to make the yellow cake in the Fantastic Flour thread. I made up an additional batch of the above and added 2T of molasses and blended it in a food processor so I now also have a brown sugar blend. It is perfect when blended and I don't have to worry about reaching the GI threshold!!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member
 
TBipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 557
Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
I am sad as this gave me gastrointestinal distress. I so wanted this product to work as I am not that fond of erythritol.

And, I wanted it to work because I love caramel!
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,613
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I am sad as this gave me gastrointestinal distress. I so wanted this product to work as I am not that fond of erythritol.

And, I wanted it to work because I love caramel!
my experience exactly. such good caramel and such a bad tummy!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #126
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,095
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I am sad as this gave me gastrointestinal distress. I so wanted this product to work as I am not that fond of erythritol.

And, I wanted it to work because I love caramel!
I will tell you you will love erythritol in the above recipe! Zero cooling, really tastes better than sugar but it is a financial investment as 2 1/2 pounds of erythritol is $15, the stevia is about $15 and the tagatose is $10 but the stevia will last you the rest of your natural life!!!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #127
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,095
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
my experience exactly. such good caramel and such a bad tummy!
I am hoping to bypass this in my blend where is is only 1/4 of the total volumn of the sweetener. I just made it today. Who knows, I may be ready for my colonoscopy tomorrow!!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 100
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
I feel so lucky that I don't have trouble with tagatose.

I made a vanilla pecan syrup this morning to have with BTF pancakes. Sorry didn't measure, I'm terrible about that. I just put some tagatose and erythritol with butter in small pan and melted it. Added a little water to thin it out and make it less of concentrated sweetness. Then added vanilla a little at a time until I liked the taste, very little gluc to thicken slightly and chopped pecans. It was so easy to throw together and sooo good.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #129
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,095
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I feel so lucky that I don't have trouble with tagatose.

I made a vanilla pecan syrup this morning to have with BTF pancakes. Sorry didn't measure, I'm terrible about that. I just put some tagatose and erythritol with butter in small pan and melted it. Added a little water to thin it out and make it less of concentrated sweetness. Then added vanilla a little at a time until I liked the taste, very little gluc to thicken slightly and chopped pecans. It was so easy to throw together and sooo good.
Do you have trouble with malitol? I cannot do malitol!!!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 100
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Do you have trouble with malitol? I cannot do malitol!!!
Oh Yes...bad. If I have even a bite of something with it, I don't dare leave the house.

My sister can't tolerate Tagatose and it hits her within 15 min, we found out recently
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 100
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I will tell you you will love erythritol in the above recipe! Zero cooling, really tastes better than sugar but it is a financial investment as 2 1/2 pounds of erythritol is $15, the stevia is about $15 and the tagatose is $10 but the stevia will last you the rest of your natural life!!!
I'm going to have to try this. I've been buying Swerve but I can get erythritol cheaper in bulk at Bob's Red Mill store. I started using Swerve because no cooling. That minty toothpaste after taste just ruins everything for me. Swerve doesn't have it. I know I can mix Erythritol and inulin to get rid of the cooling but it doesn't seem to work as well when cooking with it.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #132
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,095
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I'm going to have to try this. I've been buying Swerve but I can get erythritol cheaper in bulk at Bob's Red Mill store. I started using Swerve because no cooling. That minty toothpaste after taste just ruins everything for me. Swerve doesn't have it. I know I can mix Erythritol and inulin to get rid of the cooling but it doesn't seem to work as well when cooking with it.
I can send you a sample of what I made if you want to taste it first!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 100
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I can send you a sample of what I made if you want to taste it first!
That is so sweet of you to offer but I have to go to Bob's anyway for my BTF supplies. I'm going to get me a little bit of the toothpaste erythritol there and I'll try your sugar combo. I have the tagatose and the stevia - the same stevia too.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #134
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,095
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
That is so sweet of you to offer but I have to go to Bob's anyway for my BTF supplies. I'm going to get me a little bit of the toothpaste erythritol there and I'll try your sugar combo. I have the tagatose and the stevia - the same stevia too.
Try the recipe above. I think it is perfect!!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 100
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I am hoping to bypass this in my blend where is is only 1/4 of the total volumn of the sweetener. I just made it today. Who knows, I may be ready for my colonoscopy tomorrow!!
Did you have any problems Cindy? Also, I wanted to ask if you've baked anything with your sweetener mix. If so, did you have any problem with over browning?
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #136
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,095
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Did you have any problems Cindy? Also, I wanted to ask if you've baked anything with your sweetener mix. If so, did you have any problem with over browning?
You follow the Fantastic Flour thread, right? I posted pics of a cake I made yesterday. The top is brown but nicely so. I used 1 cup of my sweetener mix which would contain 1/4 cup of tagatose. Nothing excessive. In this amount, no GI distress but I haven't found my threshold yet!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SCOTTSDALE.AZ
Posts: 4,056
Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Cindy, do you measure it cup for cup of sugar?
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #138
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,095
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
Cindy, do you measure it cup for cup of sugar?
I do. The yellow cake on the Fantastic Flour thread calls for 1 1/2 cup of sugar but I only used 1 cup. It really should have been 1 1/2 cups as the cake was nice and lightly sweet but not sweet like yellow cake. To get it closer to yellow cake, I think you have to bite the bullet and use the full 1 1/2 cups. The sugar sub is the most expensive thing in the recipe!!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 100
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
You follow the Fantastic Flour thread, right? I posted pics of a cake I made yesterday. The top is brown but nicely so. I used 1 cup of my sweetener mix which would contain 1/4 cup of tagatose. Nothing excessive. In this amount, no GI distress but I haven't found my threshold yet!
Oh yes. That flour thread was what got me started posting - I was so excited about it

After I posted this I saw your cake on that thread. The browning on the top of your cake looked better than mine. I don't know if it's the sugar mix or my oven but I am definitely going to try your mix.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SCOTTSDALE.AZ
Posts: 4,056
Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Thanks, Cindi
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!
 
Divabunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,102
Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Received my 5lbs of Tagatose yesterday, first I made a cup of hot tea - sent me straight to the bathroom within about 15 minutes. I was crushed because it was sooo good, just like a cup of tea with real sugar. This morning I had a cup of coffee with SF Cream and Tagatose and only mild tummy issues, not like the first time. I'm hoping it stay's that way because I REALLY like this product, it really is sugar. I love it.
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
Received my 5lbs of Tagatose yesterday, first I made a cup of hot tea - sent me straight to the bathroom within about 15 minutes. I was crushed because it was sooo good, just like a cup of tea with real sugar. This morning I had a cup of coffee with SF Cream and Tagatose and only mild tummy issues, not like the first time. I'm hoping it stay's that way because I REALLY like this product, it really is sugar. I love it.
I agree on how yummy it is. But I absolutely cannot use it. I am so sad....
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,613
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I agree on how yummy it is. But I absolutely cannot use it. I am so sad....
Me either. So sad. So yummy
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!
 
Divabunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,102
Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I agree on how yummy it is. But I absolutely cannot use it. I am so sad....
I'm hoping I can have a little everyday and build up a tolerance to it
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 100
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Tagatose + table cream = sweetened condensed milk

That is all
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Tagatose + table cream = sweetened condensed milk

That is all
Lucky you. I am St Patty's green with envy.

For me, Tagatose +table cream =

sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,508
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Callieco, that is brilliant! It will even carmelize. Sorry, Sungoddess, that you can't participate without pain and suffering.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SCOTTSDALE.AZ
Posts: 4,056
Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Tagatose + table cream = sweetened condensed milk

That is all
I am so happy you wrote this. Now I can make this recipe:


1 graham cracker pie crust
1 pkg unsweetened Kool-Aid powdered drink mix
1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
In a medium bowl, mix condensed milk and Kool-aid until well combined. Fold in Cool Whip and spoon pie mixture into the graham cracker crust. Garnish according to flavor. Chill for 2 hours and serve.

Of coarse I will do an almond flour crust. Now will you give me the amounts of T and Cream? Thank you. Once I get this, I will make this pie and let you know how it turned out.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,121
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Tagatose + table cream = sweetened condensed milk

That is all
Wow! Brilliant!
I wasn't sure I was going to order more Tagatose. But this sealed the deal. Closest thing to condensed milk I've ever tried.
Thanks!
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,508
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
How much tagatose per can of crema are you using?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:53 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.