Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Perfectly Cooked Roast Beef

Do any of you remember this recipe from a couple years ago?
I lost mine but found it once again at Parade Kitchen.
Many of us made this roast and thought it was the best yet,
and so easy. Always just the way you want it with only 5 minutes
prep time. Enjoy!

Beef roast, any size or a standing rib roast
Meat rub of choice (don't skip)
Heat oven to 500F.

Weigh the roast, then place in a large roasting pan lined with foil for easy clean-up. Pat the meat dry, then pat with the meat rub, covering the entire roast. Insert a digital thermometer into the thickest part of the roast.

Roast at 500F for 5 minutes per pound.

Now turn the oven off, yes, you read that right – turn the oven OFF – no opening the oven door either. It’s hard but you can do it.

Let the roast sit in the oven until the meat reaches the desired temperature, 115F-120F for extra rare, 125F-130F for rare, 130F-140F for medium rare, 140F-150F for medium, 150F-155F for medium well, 160F-212F for well done.

Remove from oven and cover with foil for 5 – 30 minutes before slicing. It will drop a degree or two in temperature but won’t get cold.

Slice, serve and enjoy!

RECIPE in METRIC Roast at 260C for 5 minutes per 545 grams. Let the roast sit in the oven until the meat reaches the desired temperature, 46C-49C for extra rare, 52C-55C for rare, 55C-60C for medium rare, 60C-65C for medium, 65C-69C for medium well, 71C-100C for well done.

Per 4 ounces uncooked/3 ounces cooked: 148 Calories; 4g Tot Fat; 2g Sat Fat; 47mg Cholesterol; 63mg Sodium; 0g Carb; 0g Fiber; 0g Sugar; 25g Protein.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This roast weighed 4-1/2 pounds. So I cooked it at 500F for 22 minutes (five minutes per pound), then turned off the oven until the internal temperature temperature reached the desired doneness. I was shooting for 135F, medium rare, but lost track of the cooking progress and the temperature got up to 144F.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
I saw a recipe similar to this on Trisha Yearwood's Southern Cooking show last week....she used red onion as many as you like, 1/4 c apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper for the rub...bake per your directions.
GRAVY: Drain drippings and let grease rise to the top...make gravy using her formula (4-4-2...4T flour, 4T oil and 2 C drippings...brown grease and flour and add drippings cook until thickened add onion pieces from roast)
EXCELLENT
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Hers was a 5 lb chuck roast...vinegar amount could be different on smaller roasts
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Barbo........Thanks for the recipe! I want to make this, but how do I check the temperature on the thermometer without opening the oven door?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Tonight we had a rib roast prepared sort of like this, except I'm not good at the no-peeking part! I browned the roast on the stove and oven-roasted at 200 degrees. . . took about 30 minutes per pound to get to a lovely medium after resting for 20 minutes.

I've always always always made rib roast the exact opposite of this -- cooked really hot and fast -- so this was an experiment of sorts. It was yummy, very tender and juicy. I think I have a slight preference for the high temp version because of the toothier texture you get, but that may have been just a difference in the beef I had.

Dang, will have to eat MORE BEEF and see if I can figure out which we like better.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Pam

You don't is the answer to your question.
The 500 degrees is hot as Hades and your timing is about
what the roast weighs. The recipe has got to be followed
exactly as it's a formula. My suggestion, and what we did,
was try it on a less expensive cut of meat that you like to
be pinkish in the middle and brown on the outside. I think I
used a round cross rib roast. I poked it with garlic and smeared
it with Montreal seasoning and I put it in the preheated oven
when the roast was kinda more room temp. Not straight from
the fridge. I do that with steaks, and prime rib as well.

Let me know. There was quite a lot of conversation about
that recipe on here a couple years ago and quite a few of us
liked it very much.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Oh Barbo...your method is very similar to the way I've been preparing prime rib since the 70's! My mom worked in the restaurant industry for years and this is how the chef's prepared their roasts.

One year, I did deviate from my original recipe and used the high oven temp of 500 degrees. (Can't remember why I did that...scratching head...) Let's just say...things did not go well...lol...

Anyway, here is the way I do it:

Allow any size standing rib roast to come to room temp.
Preheat oven to 375.
Rub roast with choice of seasoning.
Place roast rib side down in pan.
Roast uncovered in preheated oven for EXACTLY one hour.
Turn off the oven and DO NOT REMOVE THE ROAST OR OPEN THE DOOR!
Approximately one hour before serving, set oven again to 325 and roast as follow:
2 ribs: 25 mins
3 ribs: 30 mins
4 ribs: 35 mins
When time is up, roast should be a perfect medium-rare. Cover and allow to rest again covered for 10 mins. (this takes the meat to more "medium"). Slice and serve.

I know there is a little more roasting going on, but I agree that this is pretty much foolproof. Sometimes those old recipes are still the best

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...

Last edited by RVcook; 12-18-2012 at 10:11 PM..
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
yes, Barbo...I not only remember, BUT I actually tried it.

AND it came out moist, but no juices. I am so glad you restored it to us. i shall try it again. Easier than the RONCO...well AS easy anyway. Thanks. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
You don't is the answer to your question.
The 500 degrees is hot as Hades and your timing is about
what the roast weighs. The recipe has got to be followed
exactly as it's a formula. My suggestion, and what we did,
was try it on a less expensive cut of meat that you like to
be pinkish in the middle and brown on the outside. I think I
used a round cross rib roast. I poked it with garlic and smeared
it with Montreal seasoning and I put it in the preheated oven
when the roast was kinda more room temp. Not straight from
the fridge. I do that with steaks, and prime rib as well.

Let me know. There was quite a lot of conversation about
that recipe on here a couple years ago and quite a few of us
liked it very much.
Thanks, Barbo
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #10

made copies for some people in the office

i myself will try it again on new Year's weekend. If i cannot get a digital thermometer by that time, i will trust to instinct. If it is rare, i can always nuke the portion to medium rare. All ovens are different, Barbo, but perhaps you can give me a hint. How do u like your roasts, rare, medium rare etc? and how much time approximately do u allow, after u turn the temp dial to zero? FF
Old 12-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #11

2 more questions.

when i put the roast in the oven, should i cover it with foil? i do not remember whether i did or did not when i tried it before, about 2 years ago. And, should i expect some pan juices? FF
Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 263/259/145
WOE: JUDDD newbie
Start Date: 8/14/14
I've made pork tenderloin this way and it came out perfect but I never thought about using the same method for beef. Thanks for reposting about this!
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #13

i was playing around on my computer this morning....

and fortuitously came upon a site called cooks.com. The same technique as Barbo quoted but 1 slight tweaking. Yes, pre-heat oven to 500 degress. Put your (room temp, patted dry, and dry rubbed roast in a roast pan. Here is where it gets interesting: cook 5 minutes a lb for rare, 6 min for medium, and 7 min a lb for well done. Turn it off, and leave door alone for 2 hrs. Guaranteed perfect. However, I must check back. I do not remember if it said covered or not. Un momento, por favor! FF
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #14

okay, i am back.

it said to cover the pan. there was another variation in the same web site, which said add flour, salt and pepper, and sear for browning 1st. I will stick to basics. Now I do not need to buy a digital thermometer...not just yet anyway. Adam did a dig therm test on America's Test Kitchen. I would eventually get his recommendation, once I discover what it is.Like everything else, it is on ATK web site. FF
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PennyPrepper
This is weird. I'm cooking this now. It's a 2.5 lb roast, so I cooked for 13 minutes and then shut off the oven. I haven't opened it. The digital meat thermometer hit 129 degrees and then started going DOWN. When it dropped to 127, I turned the oven on 275. I'm pretty sure that my oven is accurate and I got the meat therm for Christmas. So now we'll wait and see....
PennyPrepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Do any of you remember this recipe from a couple years ago?
I lost mine but found it once again at Parade Kitchen.
Many of us made this roast and thought it was the best yet,
and so easy. Always just the way you want it with only 5 minutes
prep time. Enjoy!

Beef roast, any size or a standing rib roast
Meat rub of choice (don't skip)
Heat oven to 500F.

Weigh the roast, then place in a large roasting pan lined with foil for easy clean-up. Pat the meat dry, then pat with the meat rub, covering the entire roast. Insert a digital thermometer into the thickest part of the roast.

Roast at 500F for 5 minutes per pound.

Now turn the oven off, yes, you read that right – turn the oven OFF – no opening the oven door either. It’s hard but you can do it.

Let the roast sit in the oven until the meat reaches the desired temperature, 115F-120F for extra rare, 125F-130F for rare, 130F-140F for medium rare, 140F-150F for medium, 150F-155F for medium well, 160F-212F for well done.

Remove from oven and cover with foil for 5 – 30 minutes before slicing. It will drop a degree or two in temperature but won’t get cold.

Slice, serve and enjoy!

RECIPE in METRIC Roast at 260C for 5 minutes per 545 grams. Let the roast sit in the oven until the meat reaches the desired temperature, 46C-49C for extra rare, 52C-55C for rare, 55C-60C for medium rare, 60C-65C for medium, 65C-69C for medium well, 71C-100C for well done.

Per 4 ounces uncooked/3 ounces cooked: 148 Calories; 4g Tot Fat; 2g Sat Fat; 47mg Cholesterol; 63mg Sodium; 0g Carb; 0g Fiber; 0g Sugar; 25g Protein.

This roast weighed 4-1/2 pounds. So I cooked it at 500F for 22 minutes (five minutes per pound), then turned off the oven until the internal temperature temperature reached the desired doneness. I was shooting for 135F, medium rare, but lost track of the cooking progress and the temperature got up to 144F.

For what it's worth, Ann Seranne was the woman responsible for developing the above roast beef recipe, many moons ago.

Ann Seranne's Recipe for a Perfect Roast: Put It in the Oven and Relax.
By Craig Claiborne, July 28, 1966

I prefer the Thomas Keller method, it's failproof, but requires a kitchen blowtorch.

~Martin

Last edited by DiggingDogFarm; 01-06-2013 at 10:31 PM..
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCINFLA
I have tried this recipe from years ago...I found it on Low Carb Friends..my only problem I make it in Florida in the summer the oven heats up the condo...

Make sure you have a CLEAN oven when you do this..it was great..

Lynn
63 years young
14 miles walked in 2013
763 miles walked in 2012
LCINFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #18

question about STANDING rib roast.

does it REALLY stand, or will it fall over on its side in the cooking process? FF
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Barbara Kafka, in her book Roasting, A Simple Art recommends roasting at 500 Degrees F, but doesn't do the leaving with the oven off and door closed thing. I have done this many times very successfully, but would second the comment that your oven must be clean!

I was just reading another foodie book that said that one difference between restaurant and home cooking is that restaurants use their ovens either for very high heat cooking or very low heat cooking. It said that you should never use medium (350-425) heat. Not sure that I will follow that advise, but most meats can be cooked quickly at high heat with no ill effects IMHO.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Thanks, Barb! I'm going to try this tonight. Hope I don't peek

This would be a perfect recipe for Alton Brown's thermometer that you attach to the oven door, no opening to test temps. I don't have it but it would be helpful to have today
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I've printed this out, but doubting Tom that I am, I'm trying to figure out how in the heck after turning off the oven, one can check to see if the meat has reached temp yet without opening the oven door. And it seems like once you open that oven door to check, isn't the heat going to escape and if it's NOT yet at proper internal temp, the meat temp from that point on might not climb as needed.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tstarre
just made this last night with a small 4 lb grass fed round roast. 500 for 15 minutes then left in oven no peeking for 2 hours. perfect mr to the rare side which I like. I think a post above said 5 min per pound for MR 6 min per pound for Med. That sounds right sooo then 2 hours and no peeking. Also I let the roast sit out for about 2 hours. It took me years to try this and now I won't cook any other way.
O i also line the pan with parchment. I also made it with the Montreal and put garlic pieces stuffed in roast
tstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
So how did you arrive at the 2 hour off oven setting time figure, Tstarre? You didn't check it with a thermometer until 2 hours had lapsed? How did you know it was going to be cooked enough at 2 hours? or still undercooked at 2 hours? I'm wondering if I do a 6# or 8# roast for company, how can I know if it has set in the off oven long enough without opening the oven and inserting a thermometer into the roast?

Last edited by buttoni; 01-11-2013 at 12:40 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I Know I know...its one of those trust recipes
TIPS are make sure the roast sits out for a few hours
Preheat oven of course
5 to 6 minutes per pound
No peeking 2 hours done HONEST TO GOD
I swear it works. Maybe you could try with a smaller roast so you can see. I haven't used chuck roast cause that is something that you would probably not want MR. I like that cut falling apart and well done. You will not end up with a bunch of drippings either at least I haven't
You do end up with a delish tender roast

Last edited by tstarre; 01-11-2013 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
Some folks have had serious problems with this method.
Noted in the comments here.....

Ann Seranne's Rib Roast of Beef

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I didn't see too many problems...maybe I didn't read it close enough.
I can only say it has worked for me perfectly and I have an old kenmore oven nothing fancy. I leave the roast out 2 hours and no flour rub..just Montreal and pieces of garlic inserted in small slits in the meat like someone mentioned above. DELISH
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Subscribing. Like Smucker's, this method sounds so screwy I figure it's got to be good.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
subbing
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
LOL well I did try this recipe. I think maybe my (first haha) mistake was not letting the beef get to room temp first, before putting it in the oven.

It was a small roast and I'm wondering if small roasts need more than 6 mins per pd even? Like I can see a big standing rib roast, that would be 20 mins at 500. But my 2 pd baby was rare. I mean RARE, still mooing after cooking at a heated oven of 500 and letting it set for hours. I wasn't sure how long was 'long enough' so left it in for 3 hours while I went about doing chores.

It was bad LOL still red!! I put it in with onions and garlic. Would the onions make the oven lose heat maybe?

Anyway, I'm not giving up, I'll try again with a chicken this week
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I don't think this method is meant for chicken

The good thing for me is if a roast is too rare you can always warm it in a pan with the drippings and cook to your liking. But an overcooked roast BLECH
My aunt and uncle had a beautiful Christmas roast that was so overcooked it should have been some kind of dead roast crime scene.